Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking to put cams in my 2011 RGU w/103. For the riding I do, mostly highway riding and some two-up, I like the power delivery numbers of the 510c. I have a V&H Power Dual headpipe mated to 4" Rinehart mufflers, a SE Stage 1 a/c and the HD Stage 1 ECM upgrade. I'll be adding the SEPRT at the same time as whatever cams I decide on. Does anyone have the 510c's in their bike that can give me a real life eval?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was reading some other threads and saw he had them in his bike. I sent him a PM...prpbably while you were typing this reply!!!! Hope to hear from him and get his opinion.

Talking to my tuner, he says the 510 in the 96 or 103 is ok. He pushes the S&S 570 but I want a little more lower rpm torque than the 570 offers.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I know nothing about cams but based on my riding habits this was recommended by my indy, who is very knowledgable and has a great reputation.

i am not a knee dragger but ride mildly agressive (for a GEEZER). I do a lot of 2 up.

the cam comes on at about 2500 and pulls strong to redline (6250). i have not put a stop watch on it but it seems from a roll off to 90 mph in about 5-6 seconds in 3rd gear.

my mileage did drop, as my indy said it would from 42-43 to 34-35. some of that could be due to more throttle = more fun. however oil temps dropped by about 25=30 degrees with cam install.

PM sent also

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Was reading some other threads and saw he had them in his bike. I sent him a PM...prpbably while you were typing this reply!!!! Hope to hear from him and get his opinion.

Talking to my tuner, he says the 510 in the 96 or 103 is ok. He pushes the S&S 570 but I want a little more lower rpm torque than the 570 offers.
I'd take the .570 hands down, and twice on Sunday, over the .510.
Jim Kennedy, of Paradise Performance, Matoon, Ill, tuned one of our 98"/Stage II Heads/.570 combo with Rinehart duals, OE t/body.
108 hp/115 ft/lbs while being set at 10.0 cr, torque being "all in" by 3500 rpms.:)
Scott

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have the 510G in my vintage '01 RG with T-Header, big sucker, and Terry tuner 88" and it does pull to redline. No knew dragging, but I do like to twist the throttle.

Peace

P

·
0 Posts
i agree 100% with scott,we use alot of S&S cams,we`ve used the .510 with customers just wanting to go with gear drives cams,but the .570`s are one of our favorites here.probley the best all around cam for milder builds (& they can still pack quite a punch on more aggressive builds too)

·
Administrator
12,485 Posts
I'm not an engine expert by no means, when my bike was pushed out to 107 last year the person doing the work uses mostly S&S cams and convinced me to go with the 570G, I've been very happy. I asked about the 510 and a couple of others and was told for my build the 570 would be better. I don't know how the others work, but I have plenty of low end tq and she pulls all the way to redline, also have a couple of my buddies who ride Suzy M109s who are no longer able to leave me, and 1 partner on a SE 110 who I can leave anytime I feel like it. :D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My motor is stock with the exception of the external add on items listed in my op. I don't want to get into a bunch of head work, compression increases and whatnot but just want a little bit more oooomph when we are two up.

I'll listen to other suggestions as well. This is my first HD and willing to learn from the folks that have real experience!!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
551 Torque Cam
Optimized for a 2007-up 96 to 106 CID touring bike with slip-on mufflers and 9.0 to 10.0:1 compression
Best bolt-in cam available for dressers
Pulls hard from idle to 4000 rpm.

THREE MOST POPULAR GRINDS

A bolt-in cam for all RPM ranges.
Something for everyone.

S&S® set out to develop a new group of bolt in cams for 2007-up big twins. The three design targets were low end torque for touring, peak horsepower and a cam that would offer the best possible combination between torque and horsepower. The 551 emerged as the touring cam and the 583 is a great over all cam. The proven 585 posted the best results for peak horsepower.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I'm going to have to agree with Scott without question, I'm running the 570G cam in my 97" and I absolutely love it. Now I just need to get my heads done... and bump a little bit more compression into it. :D

HEY SCOTT!! I think we need to talk! :)

P

·
0 Posts
.570`s were never a secret here,been using them ever since they came out with great results,same with the .551,583 & 585.IMO,the best line of cams avaliable for their respected builds

1 - 14 of 14 Posts