Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying a rgu and the dealer is throwing a set of apes on of my choice to close the deal.I am 6'3 and was wondering what size i should go??? was thinking 14 but looking for opinions...Thanks

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I am 6'4",I watched the "fit shop" video on hd.com,thier example guy was same size as me.

they went with a tallboy seat,extended brake and shifter,and 10" mini-apes.I would think that would be enough,unless you want taller for looks.

personally,I'm ok with the stock bars on my new RGU,but then I've only been riding it a week.

·
Registered
781 Posts
They say not to go over should height. I'm 5' 11". And I have 14 inch. Personally I wouldn't go shorter.

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
I am buying a rgu and the dealer is throwing a set of apes on of my choice to close the deal.I am 6'3 and was wondering what size i should go??? was thinking 14 but looking for opinions...Thanks
I'm 5'10" and have Heritage bars on and they're a 12" rise. If I had it to do over again I'd go 14" a little wider and a tad more pull back.

Do they have them in stock ? If so as to dry fit a few while your on the saddle.

·
Super Moderator
5,856 Posts
Im 5'9 and have 14s. With my seat, they are perfect for me. Sit on your bike, close your eyes and hold your arms out to where they feel comfortable and have someone measure.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Take several sets of bars the dealer has in stock and "try them on" by holding them in place. I'd have never picked 18s out of a catalog, but that's what fit me best when I compared several sizes.

·
Registered
327 Posts
The seat will make the difference. I have 2 seats....one for riding solo and one for when my wife rides. The 2-up seat raises me up a couple of inches. Same could happen to you depending on seats. 2 inches up or down will make a difference. Also think about wind protection on your hands. Go too high and your hands will be in the wind collecting bugs in the summer and freezing in the winter. I have 12s and have just enough fairing protection.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi Tracy,

I am also 5'9" and am thinking about some mini apes. I saw your setup and it looks like that is what I am looking for. I have a 2010 RG. Exactly which bars do you have? Did the stock wiring fit or did it have to be modified? Thanks. That's an awesome ride you have.

·
Registered
124 Posts
i am 6'4 and the 18" are perfectly shoulder height.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm 6' I have black wild one chubby 14's and my hands are slightly below shoulder level with the stock seat on my 12 RGU I wish I went with 16's

·
Super Moderator
5,856 Posts
Hi Tracy,

I am also 5'9" and am thinking about some mini apes. I saw your setup and it looks like that is what I am looking for. I have a 2010 RG. Exactly which bars do you have? Did the stock wiring fit or did it have to be modified? Thanks. That's an awesome ride you have.
Thank you for the compliment, I appreciate it.

My bars and cables are from Hill Country Customs and I extended the factory wiring.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Whatever you "think" you like, add another 2 inches! Trust me on this. I'm 6 foot, and I love my 18's. I had 16's ordered and changed my mind at the last minute, glad I did. Your not gonna have any protection on your hands from the fairing, and the rain feels funny hitting your arm pits, but on the up side, your pits dont get sweatty while riding in the heat!:D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok i appreciate all the insight.I think i will go with the 14 apes.Do i need to buy all new cables and wiring or can i reroute everything???

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I'm 5'10" and have Heritage bars on and they're a 12" rise. If I had it to do over again I'd go 14" a little wider and a tad more pull back.

Do they have them in stock ? If so as to dry fit a few while your on the saddle.
Heritage bars with 12" of rise? The Heritage bars I had on my '09 barely made 10" of rise.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Thats a great deal! The dealer is gonna route the wires an change the cables? All i got was a T shirt :mad:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts