Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With all this advice about internal wiring, I need to ask this (maybe) stupid question...Are any of you with TBW and apes running the wiring EXTERNALLY? Got pics? Is there a downside...other than cosmetics?

Thank you.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
I got all my wires running externally. The only downside is,.. well,... it only took 1/2 a beer to install my handlebars. ;)
I put some crashbar/highway bar covers from Capt Itch on mine,.. kinda conceals the wiring.

This is right after I installed the crash bar covers.

I have since zip tied the clutch cable and brake line to the leather lacing part to they follow my bars as well. From across the street, it looks like everything is ran internally. Most people never even notice the leather and that my wires are ran externally until I point it out.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
pretty much cosmetics. Most of the aftermarket bars do not have the holes in which to put the wiring clips, so in addition to having the wires on the outside, they have to be zip tied to the bars. On the flip side, it will save you a ton of labor (if you are paying), or a ton of time (if you are doing it yourself).

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Thanks man,.. I dig'em to. Just can't decide if I wanna go just a weee bit higher with them.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
http://www.rockschops.com
Rock is the man when it comes to custom bars. This set is based off his "Coffin bars" made to the specs I wanted. He is good, very high quality, and you get your money's worth ($125 for a set of custom bars to your specs,.. no joke)
The only draw back to some, he only does 1" and can't do 1 1/4 "chubby" bars. He has made me 2 sets now, and will probably be making a 3rd before spring.

This is my first set he made for me,.. just wasn't high enough. These were only 9" of rise, my current ones are 15" and thinking about 18"

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ok, stupid question Chainsaw... What, if anything did you need to change out going to 1" bars? Cause I am about to order a set from Rock and do not want to have to replace my Gnarly grips from SI.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Ok, stupid question Chainsaw... What, if anything did you need to change out going to 1" bars? Cause I am about to order a set from Rock and do not want to have to replace my Gnarly grips from SI.
Nothing at all, stock bars are 1" as well. Just be sure to tell him you need it notched for the TBW, and its a good idea to have them knurled as well spaced at 3.5 center to center. He can hook you up :cool:

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
I think most bars that are 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" are 1" at the grip area, so shouldnt be a problem there. i would double check to make sure they do, but in my experience, and with my 1 1/4" bars they were wedged to 1" at the grip ends.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yep, so I didn't have enough coffee earlier. As soon as you posted that I remember. Sorry, day off from work and my brain is taking longer to get functional than normal.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Not sure you want to run the TBW outside it's a pair of unshielded wires, you'd
need to put some sheathing on them for protection.

I put heritage bars and left the wires outside, just too lasy to
screw with putting them inside a 1 inch bar, it's a PIA.

Those bars look great...

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong

Sounds like you want to run the TBW outside your bars? They all run through if I'm right, easy to do and you won't have a second smaller taped wire running along side stock sleeve. also the black and white you can cut loose unless you plan on having heated grip.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts