Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if I believe my owners manual one only needs to ensure projection is set to on in settings, and then plug your iPhone in to the USB port for AppleCar Play to function.

Well BS to that as I’m finding out.It appears one also has to have a WHIM installed, or at a minimum the box Has to be checked as yes in the TCU flash settings to make the bike think a WHIM is present for apple CarPlay to work at all. This has to be done for Apple CarPlay to work through the usb if a WHIM isn’t actually installed, or if one is for Apple CarPlay to work wireless.

Is my observation correct or am I just a clueless idiot following a useless owners manual?

·
Registered
773 Posts
You are correct. If you have a GTS radio, you need to have the WHIM enabled (even if you don’t have one actually installed) for Car Play to work

Reactions: ksbutler44

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are correct. If you have a GTS radio, you need to have the WHIM enabled (even if you don’t have one actually installed) for Car Play to work
Thanks for confirming. You saved someone at H-D customer service from receiving a rant from a new H-D owner after an hour of screwing with it. Wish they would just say that in the owners manual. I have had this bike exactly two weeks. One thing I have learned in my journey from switching to H-D from Indian two weeks ago. The grass ain’t always greener.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
same thing my friend said when she went from hd to indian (and back)....

for some car play functionality, just get your dealer to flash it for the whim. you won't be able to do anything that requires a mic, but you will be able to use your car play apps, waze, etc....

·
Registered
379 Posts
My belief is that H-D don't generally want everyone to know that you can run Apple CarPlay without WHIM / H-D headset because then it cuts into accessory sales!

At my 5000 mile service on my 19, using info gleaned from YouTube videos, I walked the head tech through what tick-box settings to apply to give me CarPlay on the Boom. ''We have never done this before, no one has ever asked," he said.

I love it. FAR prefer the comfort of setting the Google Maps destination and route on my iPhone at the table with beer/coffee instead of having to punch it in on to the bike screen outside, and the occasional pleasure of Spotify whle riding is not to be denied.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
My belief is that H-D don't generally want everyone to know that you can run Apple CarPlay without WHIM / H-D headset because then it cuts into accessory sales!
I really doubt it. It's probably more of a safety thing. You can eliminate a lot of looking at the screen with voice commands.

I use a headset all the time with this bike. Before I'd only use it when my wife was with me. The voice control is one of the best parts of this radio to me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The only setting you need the HD tech to change is, Mic disabled and ApplePlay will work fine, NO WHIM Needed !

·
Registered
20 Posts
Installed the WHIM in my 19 RGS a month ago at the 1000 mile service. Apple Carplay has worked flawlessly ever since. A few weeks ago I had to run an errand. My business partner sent me the address by text, I then fed the address into apple's map system by clicking on the address, which also popped up in the carplay navigation system on my bike, hit the GO button and bam, instant navigation. The system can also read your text messages back, to you, which flash across the infotainment screen, and will respond by voice command, a text message response, as long as you're wearing either a Harley Davidson wireless headset, or, apple designated earbud products.

The WHIM is well worth the money in my opinion.

Not sure what the Indian thing is all about I wouldn't trade my Glide for one.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Installed the WHIM in my 19 RGS a month ago at the 1000 mile service. Apple Carplay has worked flawlessly ever since. A few weeks ago I had to run an errand. My business partner sent me the address by text, I then fed the address into apple's map system by clicking on the address, which also popped up in the carplay navigation system on my bike, hit the GO button and bam, instant navigation. The system can also read your text messages back, to you, which flash across the infotainment screen, and will respond by voice command, a text message response, as long as you're wearing either a Harley Davidson wireless headset, or, apple designated earbud products.

The reference to Indian is that I have experienced more issues with this H-D RGS in the short two weeks I have owned it than the entire time I owned the Indian I traded for it. Buyers remorse, but hopefully the RGS will grow on me.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had my CarPlay flashed today with out the whim. It’s great, I can control all of my phone right on the screen.

Reactions: ksbutler44

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

The reference to Indian is that I have experienced more issues with this H-D RGS in the short two weeks I have owned it than the entire time I owned the Indian I traded for it. Buyers remorse, but hopefully the RGS will grow on me.
Well on second thought maybe I traded my 2018 Chief Vintage for this RGS just in time.

https://www.polaris.com/en-ca/recalls/on-road/indian-motorcycle-issues-stop-sale-on-2014-2019-heavyweight-indian-motorcycle-models/

·
Registered
20 Posts
This my 5th Harley and my 1st Road Glide.
I have never had any major issues with any of mine and the RGS is by far the best motorcycle I've ever owned. I motor trained extensively with my Road King classics from 2007 through 2011 and in states like Colorado, Wyoming and South Dakota. Thus I can tell you, the reader, from experience that there is a LOT of juice, in this lemon. I have barely scratched the surface of what mine can do. Not only is 12 foot slow cone weaves, the off set cone weave, the intersection, and 60mph in twisty 35mph zones possible, in 5th gear, and 90mph in twisty 55 zones possible, on a bone stock RGS, in 6th gear, but so are 18 foot u-turns and the stock handle bars are the least favorite aspect of my bike as I have already maximized mine to the furtherest they will go.

This bike is so well balanced, that the shark nose is a psychological, rather than a physical, impediment. The more you pretend the fairing is not even there, the more you look "through it" , the more this bike begins to ride like its name sake.

For the life of me I cannot understand why someone would want to modify these things. There is so much motorcycle, in the box, that no car, has been able to keep up with me when I'm in the mood to ride fast. I have yet to downshift while passing. The brakes, the suspension, the motor, the lean angle, the technology, the balance, the upside, all of it is superior to anything I've ever experienced before and as I said, I motor train extensively with my bikes. I've yet to trigger the ABS system while practicing on mine either and believe me, I've tried.

Looking forward to my first long trip as this is where this bike is in her element in my opinion.

ride safe everyone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts