Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mariella Moon
Mariella Moon

·Associate Editor
Sat, September 11, 2021, 3:38 AM

Hold off on purchasing that iPhone mount for your motorbike. In a new Apple Support post first seen by MacRumors, the tech giant has warned that high amplitude vibrations, "specifically those generated by high-power motorcycle engines" transmitted through handlebars, can damage its phones' cameras. As the publication notes, that damage can be permanent. A simple Google search will surface posts over the past few years by users whose cameras were ruined after they mounted their iPhone on their bike, mostly so they can use it for navigation.
While Apple didn't say why it's issuing a warning now, it did explain the reason why attaching the iPhone to a motorcycle can destroy its camera. The company said that the camera's optical image stabilization (OIS) and closed-loop autofocus (AF) features can be damaged by long-term exposure to high-amplitude vibrations. A camera's OIS makes it possible for a device's gyroscope to sense movement. In turn, the gyroscope changes its angle and the lens moves accordingly to prevent blur when you accidentally move while taking a photo.

Meanwhile with closed-loop AF, a phone's onboard magnetic sensors measure vibrations to compensate for the movement, so the lens can be positioned accurately. As MacRumor notes, all models since the iPhone 7 come with both features.
Thus, Apple says it's not recommended to attach iPhones to motorcycles with high-power or high-volume engines. For mopeds and scooters, you may want to buy a vibration-dampening mount to lessen the risk of damage — or simply just use another GPS device to make sure you don't ruin a device that costs hundreds to over a thousand dollars.

·
Super Moderator
12,892 Posts
I read this somewhere yesterday, I’ve been using my iPhone on the bike since I first bought it and never had a problem. I’m on my second iPhone now and plan to continue using it on my bike.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read this somewhere yesterday, I’ve been using my iPhone on the bike since I first bought it and never had a problem. I’m on my second iPhone now and plan to continue using it on my bike.
Do you have the new 3 camera one?

It does make me wonder if it is the high revving I-4 bikes with the high frequency vibration that the phones can't handle.

Personally, I like the clean look of the Road Glide with internal wires that I just can't bring myself to mount anything on the bars.

Not like my voyager that had all sorts of things hanging on the bars.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
135 Posts
Had a Bulova Harley watch that failed......was told to not wear it on the bike if I wanted it to last.

·
Super Moderator
12,892 Posts
Do you have the new 3 camera one?

It does make me wonder if it is the high revving I-4 bikes with the high frequency vibration that the phones can't handle.

Personally, I like the clean look of the Road Glide with internal wires that I just can't bring myself to mount anything on the bars.

Not like my voyager that had all sorts of things hanging on the bars.

View attachment 431521
I have the 7 and 10.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Had a Bulova Harley watch that failed......was told to not wear it on the bike if I wanted it to last.
Look like this one? It's my daily watch and has close to 15k bike miles on it and no issues.

Sent from Tapatalk. probably while pooping.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for this. That would explain the problems I've had with my iPhone XR. The camera quit focusing on all three. Two were replaced under warranty. The third one managed to make it outside the warranty before breaking. All three rode for many miles inside the right-hand fairing pocket. Would have been nice of Apple to announce this sooner. Might have to use a sacrificial phone in there from now on.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I was thinking of a small piece of foam to help with vibration. However the right side box is small and any extra space usage is tight. I don't have an apple I use Samsung.

Also as stated if you need steps for your fit bit go for a ride. Problem solved.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for this. That would explain the problems I've had with my iPhone XR. The camera quit focusing on all three. Two were replaced under warranty. The third one managed to make it outside the warranty before breaking. All three rode for many miles inside the right-hand fairing pocket. Would have been nice of Apple to announce this sooner. Might have to use a sacrificial phone in there from now on.
Or stop buying those iPhones and get a good phone. :sneaky:

·
Super Moderator
9,762 Posts
I have My iPhone XI always mounted to a Rokform Handlebar Mount every time I ride and have had no problems with the camera.
My iPhone XI has all My Music on it.
Mike U.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts