Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went into dealer after a long discussion with a sales rep from Soundz, they do audio upgrades to Harley’s, and asked them to hook up the digital technician and check off box for whim. I don’t have a whim installed, nor do I have the hard wire 7 pin for a headset. By telling the bike, either through ecm or bcm (don’t know what the digitech actually communicates with), that a whim is installed it allows the CarPlay to work. Even if you bought a whim from dealer and brought it home to install, you’d have to go back to dealer and have them flash the radio for it to work. By just flashing the radio and “lying” to it about supposedly having a whim unit is all you need to do. Can’t take calls, can’t hear or respond to texts, Siri doesn’t work or play through the radio since you can’t respond with me mic, but you can use apple nav and anyother CarPlay comparable apps you have on your phone. I also feel like the sound quality is better as opposed to Bluetooth or even wired non-CarPlay of the music on my phone. I don’t want to talk on phone and don’t really care about texts while riding; I just wanted to use my wazes app for traffic and whatnot with the nav. I’ve seen a lot of people on various forums trying to figure out ways to get CarPlay to work without the whim; I’m here to clear it up that it can be done.

·
Registered
939 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
We've been doing this at the dealership where I work. Lots of happy GTS radio owners. Just have to plug your phone in for Carplay to work.

Speaking of this, the next time you are in a 2019 GTS look for a wireless CarPlay tab/check box if you don't mind. I had my bike at the dealer back in October I think it was, having my comm flashed on and the tech asked if I wanted wireless CarPlay. I was standing right next to him when he asked (and thought I saw the check box)but I told him no thanks cause I always plug my phone in anyway. Just want to see if maybe he was looking at something else or if this is really and option.

Also does this deactivate the DIN plug?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Interesting! I'm going to head to the dealer later this afternoon and ask if they can do this. :grin:

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Ok so question, how come ya can’t install a 2019 Infotainment unit on say a 2017? Just curious ....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I believe you can from what I understand. There is a thread about it on this forum and I saw a video on it. If I remember correctly, Soundz Customz/soundz, inc. has developed an interface that allows all the hand controls to work when installing a GTS radio in earlier Rushmore RG. I understand that the GTS radio has to be flashed, which they can do for you before install. When looking at their webpage, this interface is not listed, one would have to call them to inquire.

Does the cost make it worth whiled, for me no, as the cost of a GTS radio is high. Not many new GTS radios out there at the moment, but cheaper than a new bike. This is just my understanding and others may know a lot more.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Ok so question, how come ya can’t install a 2019 Infotainment unit on say a 2017? Just curious ....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You can put the new GTS radio in your 2017. All in around $2000 with the purchase of the GTS radio and the interface that @FLTRXS18 mentioned. The radio has to be connected to 2019 bike (flashed) before it will work. I like having CarPlay on my bike, but I personally wouldn't swap it out unless I had stacks of money laying around. I could do the same for my wifes Durango to have CarPlay in her truck....it's just not that big of a deal for the buy in.

·
Registered
653 Posts
does that work on 2015 rgs models?
Interested in this as well as I have a 2016 RGS, please advise!!!
No it will only work on 2019-up GTS radios.

Unless you buy the plug in module from Soundz, the GTS radio will not work in any bike older than 2019. At startup, the radio interrogates the ECM to see what the bike VIN is. If it sees anything other than a 2019 VIN, the radio will not power up.

·
Registered
69 Posts
So my question: Is a Droid Phone able to work with the new GTS Boom Audio to have CarPlay?
I had my system Flashed yesterday at my 5K service so my Apple would Work with CarPlay. It works great too and no headset needs to be connected!
My friend also bought a 2019 Ultra Limited but his phone is a Samsung Droid. Will it work with CarPlay?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
So my question: Is a Droid Phone able to work with the new GTS Boom Audio to have CarPlay?
I had my system Flashed yesterday at my 5K service so my Apple would Work with CarPlay. It works great too and no headset needs to be connected!
My friend also bought a 2019 Ultra Limited but his phone is a Samsung Droid. Will it work with CarPlay?
Simple answer. No. The GTS doesn't have a Android Auto functionality.

·
Registered
69 Posts
So I had my service done at 6000 miles and also had my infotainment Center flashed so I could use certain CarPlay functions without the headset. It works great without the headset being connected, however when I plugged in my helmet headset to the DIN outlet I was unable to make or take calls or texting. So is this the trade off of having it flashed to work without the headset or should the headset work also with full function of the CarPlay?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
So I had my service done at 6000 miles and also had my infotainment Center flashed so I could use certain CarPlay functions without the headset. It works great without the headset being connected, however when I plugged in my helmet headset to the DIN outlet I was unable to make or take calls or texting. So is this the trade off of having it flashed to work without the headset or should the headset work also with full function of the CarPlay?
This was kind of an unknow until you just posted this. You loose that function through the DIN connector with the WHIM actually installed. Until now it has just been cats with NO DIN connector having this done as far as I know. Me personally, loosing text/talk functions isn't worth it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
So do you still need the WHIM for it to work without the headsets?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
So do you still need the WHIM for it to work without the headsets?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
You only need to have it tricked into thinking the WHIM is installed to use without the headset. However when you do connect your headset through the DIN plug-in you won’t be able to talk or text through the headset. That’s the trade off I guess.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts