Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This amp is a bit too large to mount on top of standard head unit (which is what I was hoping for) so how are people mounting them on their RGs? I've read that some use a heavy duty velcro and mount to the fairing itself, anyone tried that method and how did it work out? Which velcro model did you use? I travel some reasonably rough (frost heaves, etc.) roads and don't want it coming loose from being jounced around. Your thoughts, tips?

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
This amp is a bit too large to mount on top of standard head unit (which is what I was hoping for) so how are people mounting them on their RGs? I've read that some use a heavy duty velcro and mount to the fairing itself, anyone tried that method and how did it work out? Which velcro model did you use? I travel some reasonably rough (frost heaves, etc.) roads and don't want it coming loose from being jounced around. Your thoughts, tips?
An audio shop here mounts them to the right inner fairing, horizontally, on a custom aluminum plate. Similiar to the way the Boom amp mounts. I've also seen them bag mounted.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
My buddy mounted it to the right, inside of the fairing with a combination of
3m adhesive tape and industrial velcro. He had plans to make a bracket, but a year later its still there. So he said F it. Still running it that way.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've always mounted my amps on the side of the inner fairing using industrial strength velcro from home depot. never had them budge in over 10,000 miles. The two amps I had were the Elf (exact same as Arc, just different name) and the RF PBR300X2.

For a very small period of time I installed the plate mount which is often used and attached kind of in the front of the inner fairing. Within 3 weeks my amp blew due to water and dust while on a big bike trip. Just from my experience and my two cents, velcroing it to the side is a better solution because it is protected from water and dust better in all weather riding.

Of course mounting it on the side with velcro goes out the window if you add inner fairing speakers.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
here are several photos of my Arc Audio KS 125-2 BX2 amp mounted with velcro to the side of my fairing on my RGC. It has been there for 3K miles and when I had the fairing off the other day it had not budged. I did not do the install so I don't know where he bought the velcro. When I questioned the velcro he said he could mount the amp on an aluminum plate and bolt it to the inner fairing but I did not want the bolt heads visible. He said he's never had a problem with the velcroing the amp.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
here are several photos of my Arc Audio KS 125-2 BX2 amp mounted with velcro to the side of my fairing on my RGC. It has been there for 3K miles and when I had the fairing off the other day it had not budged. I did not do the install so I don't know where he bought the velcro. When I questioned the velcro he said he could mount the amp on an aluminum plate and bolt it to the inner fairing but I did not want the bolt heads visible. He said he's never had a problem with the velcroing the amp.

The installer did a very nice job. Very nice wiring. I've seen some stereo shops do hack jobs at times.

·
Registered
341 Posts

Very clean job. Who did the work?

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I had heard that a combination of Velcro and 3M tape would work and never come loose, that seems to be confirmed here. My thought was to mount it like Norcal's but maybe add a velcro strap that would wrap over the amp to further secure it against the fairing. NorCal - thanks for the pics, I'm a visual learner!

·
Registered
150 Posts
have the same amp mounted with velcro on the right side and no problems. Been there two years with 15,000 miles. NorCal how do you like the Focal speakers? Do you worry about water getting to them. I've been thinking about getting a pair for mine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I made some mounts similar to the ones sold by J&M. I contacted them to see if they would sell the mounts separate, but they told me their mounts would not work with my early model ARC amp. I went to Home Depot, bought a length of 1" flat steel and made my own.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I'm using a pair of Focal's and love them. I live in S Cal, so I don't have to worry about them getting wet. :)

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
have the same amp mounted with velcro on the right side and no problems. Been there two years with 15,000 miles. NorCal how do you like the Focal speakers? Do you worry about water getting to them. I've been thinking about getting a pair for mine.
I really like them, a huge improvement over stock. With the amp and speakers I can now hear my stereo on the freeway at 75-80. I don't worry about water getting in, I rarely ride in the rain and I place a towel over the grills when I wash the bike.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
I made some mounts similar to the ones sold by J&M. I contacted them to see if they would sell the mounts separate, but they told me their mounts would not work with my early model ARC amp. I went to Home Depot, bought a length of 1" flat steel and made my own.
Here's a pic of someone that did the same thing w/JL Audio 400 watt amp.
ImageUploadedByMO Free1358020845.188202.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 15 of 15 Posts