Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 CVO with JL Audio C3-570 componenet speakers up front, powered by an Arc Audio KS 125.2 amp. I'm in the process of my winter mods, which include amoung other things, Cycle Sounds lids with Hertz HCX690 speakers. Needing an amp I was looking at the new Hawg Wired RS400. I like the idea of being able to adjust the amp with their remote. After talking with the boys at Hawg Wired, they suggested sending the HK head unit to Iron Cross Audio to have front and rear preamp outputs installed rather than an aftermarket head unit ($115). I'm thinking I want to get 2 of the RS400 amps and replace the Arc amp. Any thoughts on Arc vs Hawg Wired? I hate the thought of replacing the amp I recently installed, but I'm thinking the HW stuff is better quality, more powerful, and will have great adjutment with the remote. What do ya'all think? Loaded question I know. Bring it.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I have no personal experience with HW but people on here rave about thier products. You rarely here a bad review. On the other hand ARC is a quality product as well. Friend has thier system and loves it.

Bit of good news is that even though you recently purchased the ARC amp you'll have no problem selling it on this forum. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
12,430 Posts
I had Hawgwired before the current RF amps that I have, I really like the RFs, but with the introduction of the new remote, plus my previous experience with Hawgwired, I ordered 2 CS300s and a remote last week. :D

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have a 2012 CVO with JL Audio C3-570 componenet speakers up front, powered by an Arc Audio KS 125.2 amp. I'm in the process of my winter mods, which include amoung other things, Cycle Sounds lids with Hertz HCX690 speakers. Needing an amp I was looking at the new Hawg Wired RS400. I like the idea of being able to adjust the amp with their remote. After talking with the boys at Hawg Wired, they suggested sending the HK head unit to Iron Cross Audio to have front and rear preamp outputs installed rather than an aftermarket head unit ($115). I'm thinking I want to get 2 of the RS400 amps and replace the Arc amp. Any thoughts on Arc vs Hawg Wired? I hate the thought of replacing the amp I recently installed, but I'm thinking the HW stuff is better quality, more powerful, and will have great adjutment with the remote. What do ya'all think? Loaded question I know. Bring it.
If you decide to sell your current Ard amp I am interested, as I plan to buy 1 more in the next couple months to go with lid speakers.

Peace

·
Registered
286 Posts
Never heard much positive about stock head units... Many quality aftermarket units out there for 150+. I have a Sony and am pleased with it.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have arc and hertz in the bike and it is loud and clear. Can turn volume from 25-35 and not lose any clarity. I had the 125.2 mini but took out and put in the for sale section on here and went with the 125.4

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
If it was me,....I wouldnt change a thing rite now , xcept ur Head Unit!

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
the CS series amps, are not even for sale yet

CS are the wireless adjustable ones, not the RS

If it was me,....I wouldnt change a thing rite now , xcept ur Head Unit!
+ 1

but $115 for front and rear RCA's is a good price

·
Super Moderator
12,430 Posts
the CS series amps, are not even for sale yet

CS are the wireless adjustable ones, not the RS

+ 1

but $115 for front and rear RCA's is a good price
You can preorder the CS, they should start shipping next week.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
41 Posts
Not to hi-jack this thread, but what about Biketronics best amp BT 4180? I know there speakers are gaurenteed for life, not sure on the amp?

·
Registered
218 Posts
RS and CS amps are remote controllable. Problem is backorder. RS had availability date of 1-14-2012....that didn't happen and now the web site just states BO and no promise date:(
I ordered a Six Pack system with the RS400 before Christmas/backorder, however a shipping mishap has the system traveling the USA, hope go get ext sometime next week!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Both the CS and RS are able to link in series and utilize the remote, which is why I want to give'em a try. Being able to adjust each amp with each pair of speakers after the fairing has been reinstalled could be a real advantage. when I spoke with the guy at Hawg Wired he said the amps were on the table and should start shipping next week
As far as the head unit; the preamp output from the HK will be 3.5v, all those Sony's have 2v preouts, which results in a higher volume form the same amp. Since my CVO came with the ipod interface, I thought it made more sense to get the preouts, rather than; get a new Sony, all the wiring from both HW and Biketronics to make the hand controls and AVC work, as well as a splash guard from Sidecar. I'm pretty sure it's gonna kick ass.

·
Super Moderator
12,430 Posts
Riptilyaflip, whoever you talked to at Hawgwired might want to update some of his data, several aftermarket units now have 4v outputs for the preamp in many models, including Sony.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
my DSX-310 has the 4.5v outs

JVC Arsenal series do also, but in the end having a nifty place to store your iphone/ipod seemed cooler, also open CD on the bike a water hazard

I just mention parametric EQ, I've thought about it for some time.
since you have RCA's coming, pop a 7 band in line between the radio and
amp and let us know how it sounds

The sony DSX-310 has just about every setting you could dream up
separate adjustable high and low pass, 4 steps, 3 curves, loudness, DMX, 7 band EQ, 2 frequencies per band, 12db gain or cut at -6 to 6, 12 steps

the MS60 had 20 steps, but no speaker spatialization

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Both the CS and RS are able to link in series and utilize the remote, which is why I want to give'em a try. Being able to adjust each amp with each pair of speakers after the fairing has been reinstalled could be a real advantage. when I spoke with the guy at Hawg Wired he said the amps were on the table and should start shipping next week
As far as the head unit; the preamp output from the HK will be 3.5v, all those Sony's have 2v preouts, which results in a higher volume form the same amp. Since my CVO came with the ipod interface, I thought it made more sense to get the preouts, rather than; get a new Sony, all the wiring from both HW and Biketronics to make the hand controls and AVC work, as well as a splash guard from Sidecar. I'm pretty sure it's gonna kick ass.
B4 Rob left Hawg-Wired, for the Military, I spoke w/him about the difference btween the 2V-and 4V outputs.
He said it really wont make a difference.
To me, personnaly, I have 4V outputs on the back of my Sony. Its a gtui-930 or something like that.
I've heard Donuts radio and amp, I've heard Yaffe's set up, and I've heard Faceracers set up. Dont know what Yaffe's is, 2V or 4V, but I do no what Donuts and Faces is, ...I can hear a difference!
The Harmon Kardon is INDESTRUCTIBLE!
Ya dont NEED a slpash guard,...It'll take a licking, and keep on ticking! IF ya got a Good One.
I was VERY-VERY Reluctant, at first, from ditchn the Stock set up, for a Aftermarket , via-Sony-Alpine-Kenwood, what have ya.
But!!!! I'm GLAD I DID!
The Hawg-Wired, remember this will not let u use, AVC.
Biketronics does!
I'm still WONDERING, if a ALPINE is betr than the Sony???
I have a Alpine in my Silverado, and Alpine is supposed to be 'The Best'!
But Dude,...my Sony Kiks Butt! on my 2-wheeler. But then again it does have 4V outputs.I'm STILL not sure, it does make that much of a difference 100%.
But I'd place a lil bet on it!
Hawg-Wired is the way to go.
Justin is who I speak w/now, since Rob has left the Co. (sort-a-speak)
If , whom-ever, protects these aftermarket Radios RIGHT, as in splash-guards, and what have ya, I dont think ya go wrong w/just a plain ole Car Stereo.
jmho
btw,...My Sony has the Parametric EQ stting built in to the Radio.
Yes its been FUN getn just the rite Mix!!!hehehe

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Donut; English Man...?
hey, what do you wan't? it early!!

seriously, arc bx is not in the same ball park as hawg wired

good, but the wet sounds version is allegedy more stout, both better at 4ohms

radios, get the Alpine iDA-X305SBT for looks, Sony MS60 for basic usability, and the Sony DSX-310 if you need a slurry of tweaks to be happy

1 - 20 of 33 Posts