Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to add an extra pair of speakers in my lower fairing, I already have two polk DB652 in the fairing and two Focals RCX 690 in the lids... so the pair I'm looking for would be the 5th and 6th speaker.. the question is.. there is about 80-100 bucks of difference between the MM652 and the DB652, is that much difference in the price worth it for the quality of sound? I usually ride with my helmet with speakers so the main use would be parking lot and low speed audio... maybe a bit more of bass would be good but... if there is not that much of difference there is no point getting the MM for more of twice the price... I don't know, what are your opinions?

BTW, I got a vented ower fairing and will be installing it in my 2007 shark.. so I'll post it how I did it to make it fit without getting the 2010 upper fairing bracket and all that stuff..

· Registered
7,741 Posts
The HD nail in your coffin is the non stop always present . Option to go just a little better for another $100 dollars. Where does it stop?
Set your goal ,your plan for what you want.
You can always go a little faster, little quicker a little louder for a few dollars more.
Only you know if it is worth it to you.

· Registered
2019 RGS
6,567 Posts
I like my Hertz SV165s. I know you didn’t ask. But they’re a great Mid speaker.
As far as the extra 100 on them. If you don’t. You’ll wonder if you should have.

· Administrator
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
5,748 Posts
I run two sets of the MM652 speakers and they have been great for years now. They are always getting wet cuz I ride in teh rain, and they just keep ticking along

· Registered
3 Posts
While swapping the soeakers I ram 1db in left fairing and 1db in left lower, 1 mm in right fairing and 1 mm in right lower. Then ran some music and balanced left to right to hear the difference from 2 db left side and 2 mm in right side and it was significant better audio. Better Treble, bass, loudness, audio quality better. I'm sure there are better options out there but that's the experience I have.

· Registered
778 Posts
A better question here might be if you have the power to run another set of speakers, regardless of what speaker you're putting in. Just adding another set of speakers parallel on two channels of the current amp is going to yield you half the power to your fairing and half the power to your lowers. You may end up with the illusion of more sound coming from new locations but you're also going to have less volume. More speakers isn't always the solution and don't plan on getting "bass" from a Polk 6.5. It's not going to happen.

Here's the deal brother. You can do absolutely anything you want to do. Consider that your lowers are twice as far from your ear than the fairing speakers are. They are also subject to a TON more air movement, turbulence, road noise and the like. Just like putting speakers in the lids that are behind you, you're going to need alot more power to make the same speaker perform at the same volume as the fairing speakers just to get the balance of sound to your ear. If you're plan is to just add them parallel to what's in your fairing, you're also dropping the impedance from 4 ohms to 2 ohms which is going to make the amp run a hell of a lot hotter and we should all know that the other element besides water that will destroy electronics is heat.

Best of luck on the project, I hope it turns out the way you want but you may be better off re-evaluating the current amp and fairing speakers. It's entirely possible to get from point a to point b without "adding" speakers. Instead, add power and get a fuller sound from what's already there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts