Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I noticed yesterday, when installing my 10" Freedom windshield, that my left mirror stalk has more space to the windshield when turned all the way then my right stalk. I then looked inside the fairing and noticed the left fork was almost touching the inner fairing, while the right fork had about 1" of clearance. Anyone else see this? I'm wondering if things weren't centered properly at the factory.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Your gonna need to attach pic, tank to glove boxes? Ever pulled your outer? the center points (bracket can't be that outta wack and everything align up? without listing

·
Registered
690 Posts
Not real sure how much different your 13 is from my 06, but my mirror mount locations are a little different on each side. My right side mirror is closer to the fairing then the left.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
The stems of the mirrors may not be tightened down at the same angle for one thing. that is an easy fix. Never seen a faring off center but you could also look at the fairing support brackets to see if they are even. The fairing is somewhat flexible and they can be moved along the engine guard at least an inch.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Not real sure how much different your 13 is from my 06, but my mirror mount locations are a little different on each side. My right side mirror is closer to the fairing then the left.

Bingo. :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Pics are probably not going to show much, but I could see a difference in the fairing to tank distance. On my right side I could barley squeeze two finger in between. On the right side I could almost squeeze three fingers in between. I would say about 1/2" difference. I will go to service and show them. Probably will have them take of this and new handlebars. Once I'm committed on which ones. :)

·
Registered
9,045 Posts
The mirrors are mounted in different locations because there's a master cylinder on the right side and not the left.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Sorry I have have hydrolic clutch so mine are in the same place in relationship to each master cylinder.

·
Registered
9,582 Posts
Thanks guys. Pics are probably not going to show much, but I could see a difference in the fairing to tank distance. On my right side I could barley squeeze two finger in between. On the right side I could almost squeeze three fingers in between. I would say about 1/2" difference. I will go to service and show them. Probably will have them take of this and new handlebars. Once I'm committed on which ones. :)
Mine was like that bran new. Loosen all the bolts securing the fairing , readjust and tighten it all up.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, I will try to do this myself.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ive had an 07 and now a 12 RG. They are both a little off to the eye. Look down at the sides of the speedo/tach housing bolt heads, and see the difference between the bolt heads and turn signal nuts. My right side almost touches when turning the forks, and the left has more clearance. It could be the way the support brackets were aligned, but keep 2 things in mind if it dont touch dont mess with it because by moving it indiscriminentely you may be placing more stress on the plastic fairing parts. And #2 the inner fairing is adjustable on the fork brackets, but I found its only adjustable to center the radio in the cradle so it lines up with the hole.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the responses. I brought the bike to the dealer this morning. Service said they had no room to adjust the fairing because of my Lindby mustache crash bar. They said they could switch it over to stock and then readjust the fairing. I said, no thanks. Does this sound right?

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I brought the bike to the dealer this morning. Service said they had no room to adjust the fairing because of my Lindby mustache crash bar. They said they could switch it over to stock and then readjust the fairing. I said, no thanks. Does this sound right?

Depends on if your support brackets are all they way out to the down angle of your engine guard. With a stock engine guard you would have more room to move it out.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Every new roadie I have sat on looks like the fairing is mounted crooked. I thought it was just me but another guy in the show room asked the same question. How hard could it be for Harley to get the damn thing mounted straight.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Every new roadie I have sat on looks like the fairing is mounted crooked. I thought it was just me but another guy in the show room asked the same question. How hard could it be for Harley to get the damn thing mounted straight.
Amen to that! I'm going to check out the 15's and see if they are the same way.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
3,813 Posts
Look at at where your mirrors mount to the controls. They're mounted in different locations. I just loosened the mirrors & turned the bars left & checked out that distance to the w/s & did the same for the right.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts