Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it sounds like a stupid question but I'd really like to know cause I'm thinking about doing cams. Quick run down on my bike 2012 RG custom stage 1 done with Ventilator AC Rinehart slip ons decatted stock header but planning on changing. Bike runs good but would like just a little more out of it without going crazy. I was told do cams with a tuner and I'd get what I'm looking for I'm looking at SE 254E cams and I'll probably have the bike dynoed when it's all done. So give me your input and suggestions. Thanks

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
It's night and day with the right cam. There's a lot of cams out there that will be better than the 254's.

Tman torque 555's
Andrews 57's
Andrews 48's
Woods 222's

Call fuel moto. They will point you in the correct direction.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
absolutely...gained about 20hp and tq....oil temp dropped 25-30 degrees...on the downside dropped about 8 mpg

·
Registered
654 Posts
You can get mild cams from Screaming Eagle, this will not cause warranty problems. Also mild cams will provide increased low end torque which is where most folks will take notice, and still provide excellent fuel mileage. A higher revving cam will provide more HP but you have to get that HP at higher RPMs. Ask you dealer. With a cam install you can get you ECM flashed which eliminates need for a tuner. But a tuner gives you the flexibility of different tunes/maps for your ECM. Yes, like mild, medium or hot chicken wings, cams are worth it.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
The factory cams are so choked by the emissions regs that the motor really doesn't even run right. There are some of the SE cams that run pretty decent, but not any of the "EPA approved" versions. The SE 204 that I have in my bike is an older design but runs very well, as does the 203 at slightly lower rpms. There are newer versions that are very close to these as well.
I would definitely go with a tuner rather than the download.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I know it sounds like a stupid question but I'd really like to know cause I'm thinking about doing cams. Quick run down on my bike 2012 RG custom stage 1 done with Ventilator AC Rinehart slip ons decatted stock header but planning on changing. Bike runs good but would like just a little more out of it without going crazy. I was told do cams with a tuner and I'd get what I'm looking for I'm looking at SE 254E cams and I'll probably have the bike dynoed when it's all done. So give me your input and suggestions. Thanks
Either a Wood 222 or an Andrews 48, in order to have that big torque right up off the bottom to get that touring machine moving.
We'd suggest getting a hold Doc's Performance tuning in Mineola, Fla. also.
Scott

·
Registered
301 Posts
I love cams, just makes the bike sound & feel like a toy or a hot rod. Good luck resisting head work after that.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
If your dealing with Doc he will suggest 245e cam for a bolt in. Its not a bad cam but its not the best either. So many to pick from you have to ask your self a few questions.

1. Where do I want my power band to be?
Low to mid or mid to high.

2. Will these cams grow with any other engine mods later..
Port heads, larger bore, raised compression etc.,

3. How well will these cams work with my exhaust system?
2:1
2:2
2:1:2
Or factory pipes with slip ons.

Its easy to throw cams in a bike. But make sure you pick the one that does what you want with the combo you plan to do.

Thanks
FD

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Cams will give you the best bang for the buck when it come to a performance mod.
There are a lot of cams to choose from but in most cases a heavy touring bike performes best with a low/mid range torque cam.
The Woods TW222 or a T-Man 555 torqester or a Andrews 48H are good choices for a stock 103 engine.
A good EFI tuner and a dyno tune will help as well and should be included in this mod.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I've said before, but I don't think I'll ever have another Harley without doing cams. This is my 3rd Harley, but first one I've done the Stage 2 upgrade in. What a difference. Way more smiles per mile.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
3,813 Posts
I suggest you do some research on line about cams. You need an exhaust that works well with the cams, good breathing A/C, tuner & dyno = $$$$$$. You'll find all kind of info, by doing a web search. Good luck.

·
Registered
129 Posts
third HD, third cam upgrade... Don't leave home without it. Seriously. If you go to radical you will regret it.
As it's been said look at your riding style. Do you run wide open all the time. not likely. Do you run about 2k-4k rpms most of the time. Get a cam that performs in that range and you will not regret it. get the tuner too. provides the flexability you want your mechanic to have when they put it on the Dyno this time and the next time... Find a mechanic you trust or highly recomended. Many choices on the forum...

·
Registered
830 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts