Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned a lot of bikes but added a Road Glide to the stable a year ago and I find it's pretty well the only thing I ride anymore. I've been reading through all the audio upgrade posts and admit I still am somewhat lost. I'm adding an amp and new fairing speakers but not sure if lowers are worth it. Can they add volume at 70mph? I generally run without my TourPack so not worrying about that and being in rainy B.C. rear lid speakers seem silly.

I welcome opinions to confuse me more.
I recall when a Blaupunkt cassette deck and Jensen Tri Ax speakers were the shit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Buzz. I’m a fan of lowers, but did not add speakers to them. Went with Infinity and B52 amp, no problem at speed for this budget upgrade on my ‘17. Not going to win any contest. I feel the lowers help create an air pocket for the sound.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I run the BT 2180 & 4 Titan speakers in my 15. 2 in the fairing and 2 in the lowers. The lower speakers add just a touch of sound IMO. While riding, the bulk of the sound that I'm hearing is coming from the fairing speakers. On my old bike, which was an 02 FLHT, I ran a totally different head unit, amp, and speakers. I had 6 speakers in that old girl. 2 in the fairing, 2 in the lowers, and 2 in the t pak speaker pods. That system really rocked and volume & clarity was never an issue. Even on that one I could hear the rear speakers more than the lowers. I never tried bag speakers because I personally never saw the point of them.

Lil Chief

·
Registered
8,761 Posts
I've owned a lot of bikes but added a Road Glide to the stable a year ago and I find it's pretty well the only thing I ride anymore. I've been reading through all the audio upgrade posts and admit I still am somewhat lost. I'm adding an amp and new fairing speakers but not sure if lowers are worth it. Can they add volume at 70mph? I generally run without my TourPack so not worrying about that and being in rainy B.C. rear lid speakers seem silly.

I recall when a Blaupunkt cassette deck and Jensen Tri Ax speakers were the shit.
Lowers are a great addition in added wind protection and will keep you much drier when rIding in the rain.. Lowers with speakers are a great way to expand your sound stage. You will definitely hear the tunes better at speed. Depending on your color paint, aftermarket lowers with speaker pods can be had as low as a couple bills.

Reactions: geo8866

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
I have fairing lowers with speakers in the lowers and they do add to sound quality, also the lowers add to riding comfort. I recommend the lowers because they are a great upgrade for wind management and then you decide on the speakers. Hearing the tunes at 70mph depends on the sound system you install. JMO

·
Registered
426 Posts
I installed lowers on my RGS and absolutely love them. My inner thighs never get sore anymore after long rides on the highway pegs trying to hold my legs in place as the wind pushes on them. In the winter it's a no brainer. I haven't felt the full summer heat yet but I hope the vents let enough air in to keep them on all year long. The lowers and my 11" freedom shield create a nice quiet air pocket for me to hear my music. I installed a Biketronics amp and 2 fairing speakers with all intentions of installing lower speakers, even ran the wires. But after test riding it, it was loud enough for me as is. You're never going to get deep rich bass on a bike. All you can hope for is nice clear sound. I went down that rabbit hole with my last bike, installing speaker lids and it was a waste of money. I could barely hear them at speed. A good set of midrange speakers in the lowers like Hertz 165.1's would add more volume for sure and you would hear them better than the speaker lids because they are in front of you. My advice would be to test out the amp and 2 speaker setup first before you go all in. I did and the Biketronics 2 speaker kit amp kit was enough for me and I didn't have to spend extra money and give up my storage boxes in the lowers.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My lowers just shipped today from Advan Black, took a few weeks to ship as they are color matched (Mysterious red)
I didn't go with speaker pods as I find running the B52 & Kappas are pretty loud, also dont want to upgrade the amp to run 4 speakers.

If you do plan on adding lowers & then speakers in the future be sure to get an amp that can handle the 4 speakers.

Colin

·
Registered
2,126 Posts

To answer your question in simplest terms and in my opinion, hell yeah they are worth it! I picked up a set of lowers for the pre Rushmore bikes from Hogworkz during one of their Black Friday sales. With it I got the glove boxes and the speaker pods. I ended up installing the speaker pods and took advantage of paralleling my Biketronics 2180 amp while adding a set of Hertz Mille Pro speakers. All I can say is that besides the wind protection, the ability to open and close the vents depending on weather conditions or a little breeze on the knees and the massive improvement in my stereo sound quality, I do not think I will ever go without lowers on any Bagger I own.

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
Rather than start a new thread asking a similar question, I'll just ask it here: What about saddlebag lid speakers? Do they add any addition sound for the rider? I would think that speakers that are behind me while I'm moving at 75mph wouldn't help much.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Lowers

In my opinion a set of lowers is a great idea, but NOT the genuine Harleys - WAY too much to pay.

I fitted mine mainly for the winters here where we get a lot rain and they really do give lower leg pprotextion.

In summer I have not noticed any perceivable increase in engine temperature.

SLIM

·
Registered
426 Posts
Rather than start a new thread asking a similar question, I'll just ask it here: What about saddlebag lid speakers? Do they add any addition sound for the rider? I would think that speakers that are behind me while I'm moving at 75mph wouldn't help much.
Waste of money! Speaker lids are for passengers. I put them on my last bike and I couldn't even hear them unless I faded hard to the rear and then they distorted. Get lowers if a good 2 speaker setup isn't enough for you. Plus then you don't have to lose saddlebag space or mess with a plug every time you need to remove the bags. I wouldn't put them on my bike again if they were free.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm in the process of adding lower speakers to my 2017 RGU. I will be using BT Titan 6.5's in the upper and unknown speakers for the lower fairing driven by a BT2180 amp. Having Twin Cooled heads I am limited on selection for speaker enclosures. I will be using Hogtunes Lower Fairing Kit without their speakers. Once I receive the HT enclosures I'm going to try to get BT Titan 6.5's to fit. If not I'll be looking at Alpine or other speakers. If I have to use a spacer to find a good speaker fit I'll probably have to toss the HT grill cover in which case I'll use HD CVO grill covers. I've always ran lower speakers and like the sound.
Bill

Reactions: Lord Vader

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the input guys. I'm thinking the amp I get will be 4 channel so I can add lower speakers later on. I'll go amp and fairing speakers then add lower speakers for my trip to San Diego in June.

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
Waste of money! Speaker lids are for passengers. I put them on my last bike and I couldn't even hear them unless I faded hard to the rear and then they distorted. Get lowers if a good 2 speaker setup isn't enough for you. Plus then you don't have to lose saddlebag space or mess with a plug every time you need to remove the bags. I wouldn't put them on my bike again if they were free.
That's what I figured. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I never had lowers until I bought my 11 RGU. I'll never not have lowers. When I bought the 16 I ordered them that day. I don't regret for one second spending the extra money on the HD lowers. I'm pretty particular about my shit. If the color was off any I'd lose sleep. I'm now in the thought process of adding speakers now that I ditched the heavy breather.

What mounts are you guys running? I sure as fuck am not putting out the money harley wants for their set up. That's more than the lowers.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I would not have another touring bike without lowers. OF course the last to had wet heads so lowers are part of the deal. I do not find them to be hotter nor an issue of any kind. They do work well in rain , and cold.
The factory ones vent well IMO.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts