Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm sorry this is my first post, I've been lurking for a long time and then signed up.

I've searched and searched and haven't come up with an exact answer or picture looking like mine and with the week I'm having with family member dying, dads car breaking the day he got it, my bicycle breaking, id rather have a second opinion on this !!!

if i replace them I'm going to replace them with normal spring tensioner shoes. I've spent a lot of money on this bike since i bought it in november and can't swing the extra cash this season for upgraded.

its a 2004 with 34k miles that was 100% stock until i bought it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
The new spring style tensioners have a teflon wear pad that lasts much better than that bake-o-lite pad you now have or the pads can be bought separately on ebay and you reuse your existing spring tensioner assembly

·
Registered
483 Posts
Replace, However...

They should be replaced, but for 34k they look pretty good.

Reactions: RGKen

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i didn't realize the headache it is to replace the tensioners. how bad those look? RI riding seasons don't last that long. think they've got another 5,000 in them and i can do cams and everything next winter?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i didn't realize what a headache it is to replace them. i didn't even think about the cams being pulled and stuff.

how bad are those? they have another 5,000 in them you think? id rather replace them next winter and save up for some cams and stuff.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Usually the back cam pads are the ones that wear faster. I would say, you will be surprised when you pull the cam plate and see it.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Get the new Screaming Eagle upgrade with oil pump system, they use hydraulic tensioner better shoes material and chain less wear on tensioners. HD dealers use to have the OE and upgrade system setup on a display with a hand crank way less friction on the upgrade kit.
I did the upgrade on my 04 RK at 35 k miles no issues after.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just wasn't thinking and didn't realize I'd have to pull the push rods and all that apart. What I was thinking would be a hour job and $80 kit is turning into a lot of money. I might try to squeeze the season out of it w these pads.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I just wasn't thinking and didn't realize I'd have to pull the push rods and all that apart. What I was thinking would be a hour job and $80 kit is turning into a lot of money. I might try to squeeze the season out of it w these pads.
Do yourself a favor and buy you a set of S.E. adjustable pushrods and pull the cam plate and replace those shoes. If one blows up, you will be pulling the engine and splitting the cases. Then it's big money.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I still need to take out the push rods remove the cams etc all of that though don't I ??
Only if you are changing the cam chain tensioner. Changing the timing chain tensioner is easy. Two bolts hold it in. I just replaced mine. (I wish I had known you can replace the plastic piece by itself. Harley had me buy the entire assy)

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I still need to take out the push rods remove the cams etc all of that though don't I ??
See my post before. Yes, you put the lifters on the back cylinder on the base circle, cut the push rods with bolt cutters, roll the engine around (you have the back wheel off the ground in 6th gear) and put the front cylinder lifters on the base circle and cut the push rods out. Remove the lifters, taking note which hole and direction each one is positioned, remove the cam plate, leave oil pump on the plate so as not to reposition it. Now you can change out the back pads as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
80 Posts
tensioner pads

I am going to agree with all who say change it out. On my '04 FLHR the pads looked exactly like yours at 40k. I tried to milk the season out of them but at 43k the cam box got REALLY noisy. Mind you, I was not nice to this machine at all. I pulled it apart and found the back 1/3 of the pad was gone and the bracket was riding the chain.
Did a thorough inspection and luckily the only thing I destroyed was the oil pump.

Fortunately for me I had the extended warranty. Put it all back together and took it to HD.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Its like the old commercial you can pay me now or pay me later,but as others have said you should replace those shoes,if they gobout completely your repair cost could compound 2 to 3 times more.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
The reason that SOME wear into the pads worse than others is that the vender, Morse Chain, had burrs on the links that the tumbler media did not remove(dull punch/die?) resulting in a sharp edge.
Once that is polished off via friction contact with the pad, the next set lasts and lasts.
FWIW.
Scott

1 - 19 of 19 Posts