Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Harley dealer said If I use anything other than boom audio amps and boom 2 speakers my radio will not up date. I have a 2018 RG. Basically they saying I can't use after market audio parts any input?

·
Registered
9 Posts
My Harley dealer said If I use anything other than boom audio amps and boom 2 speakers my radio will not up date. I have a 2018 RG. Basically they saying I can't use after market audio parts any input?
For the price of Boom Audio you can replace everything and will sound way better.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
149 Posts
Go back to the dealer and ask them to explain exactly how the Boom! radio can identify what speakers or amp you’re using. How precisely does the radio know it’s not Harley. Does it have a brain that no one knows about? It must be able to do that to deny the updates. Please come back and tell us what line of crap they feed you. Better yet, do this dealer a favor and call Harley customer service and ask them. Amazingly I’ve had very good luck with Harley’s corporate customer service.

·
Registered
684 Posts

Maybe if the Boom! shit wasnt so overpriced. underpowered, and shit sounding, the dealer wouldnt have to resort to BULLSHIT tactics like this to sell the shitty ass audio!

Thats the nice things I have to say about that, dont ask me to give you the uncensored version, it gets real ugly.

To answer your original question, yes you SHOULD go aftermarket, no it wont void the warranty, yes eveything will update just fine, and most important, YES it will sound much better!

Good luck and start shopping,

Mike

·
Registered
254 Posts
It freaking kills me how they try to force feed us how this or that is going to "void" the warranty or something won't update.

I've learned over the years that what most of the guys that work in a dealer says is bs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Boom box

My dealer told me that the 17 RGS had to be programmed for the Boom 6.5 which I bought from private sales any truth to this ( I had the 4.3) I said you must be full of it he said the digital signals to the ecm wont match whats on the bike eg 4.3 :frown:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I installed the Soundz amp and 6 speakers, fairing, tourpak, and added to the lowers. they could not get the HD system to update for 6 speakers as it didn't get a signal from a HD amp. Sounds recommended running the system on the 2amp 8 speaker settings. guess the HD update sends a message to the amp's and waits to see if it responds to turn it on and proceed with the update. My guy pulled half the bike back down because he thought he left something unplugged. Then found out about a different update. I believe they got the update to trick the system from Soundz to make it work. I saw something about this released from Soundz on there facebook page I think that stated this was needed for the 17 up boom box. HD only wants you to buy there stuff so it wouldn't surprise me if there is something in the coding that would verify the parts are hd.

As for the CVO parts SOME are VIN locked and you have to return the damaged parts before you can pick up the new parts. Mostly anything that is directly related to the CVO, tank badges, fuel tank doors, rear fender emblem, paint sets, etc. I had a CVO Ultra before my RG

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
My dealer told me that the 17 RGS had to be programmed for the Boom 6.5 which I bought from private sales any truth to this ( I had the 4.3) I said you must be full of it he said the digital signals to the ecm wont match whats on the bike eg 4.3 :frown:
If the 6.5 head unit is brand new and never before installed I've heard dealer programming is necessary. However on a 3rd party private sale (which is how I got mine when I upgraded from the 4.3) the installation didn't require any special procedures. It was a simple plug and play swap and everything works exactly the way it should. Even the info button works and displays what appears to be accurate information.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Go back to the dealer and ask them to explain exactly how the Boom! radio can identify what speakers or amp you’re using. How precisely does the radio know it’s not Harley. Does it have a brain that no one knows about? It must be able to do that to deny the updates. Please come back and tell us what line of crap they feed you. Better yet, do this dealer a favor and call Harley customer service and ask them. Amazingly I’ve had very good luck with Harley’s corporate customer service.
I'd go one step further but in a different direction. I'd go back to the dealership, grab the guy that fed you that line of BS and go find the dealership manager or better yet the owner. Then go through the whole story with all parties present.

Depending on the "bosses" response, I'd tell all of them you were going to write the Moco's corporate office and tell them that a dealership is giving out blatantly false information. My radios (both 4.3 and 6.5) have had software updates after the installation of an aftermarket AMP and two different sets of speakers. The head unit has no idea what is connected to the output side of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts