Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

I had a street glide for the past 8 years and 75k. When I first bought it, I had some trouble hearing the stereo and some wind. No problem, it's a bike not a car. I got a 6 inch recurve shield for it and could then hear the stereo well at highway speeds and could keep it to half volume much of the time.

I test road a 2016 road glide a couple weeks ago and bought it due to the far superior right and handling, but not before trying the 2016 street glide. The RG was just better, much better, made the SG feel like a toy in comparison.

I have read nearly all of these windshield forum questions and have order 4 shields to try them out, from klokwerks and freedom shields.

Happy take photos and review later after trying them.

The question is, with the fairing much further away than the SG, regardless of shield, am I going to be able to be able to hear the stereo and not have my wife beat up on long tours. I imagine much of this will be answered when I try the shields and yet...

Reviews seem to be mixed on just what can be expected from a shield. I'm ok with some wind, my wife too, but we'd like to get a little closer to the level of comfort and sound we had on former bikes.

Am I, and perhaps we we as a group of Road Glide owners, demanding too much from a shield when maybe it's an inherent situation due to bike design? For me it's still worth it due to ride and performance, but a good question to ponder.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I have a Freedom shield that works great for wind management. IMO you're still going to need an amp to hear the stereo.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a Freedom shield that works great for wind management. IMO you're still going to need an amp to hear the stereo.
Thanks. Starting to look for the amp and speaker replacement. I'm 5'10 and have ordered the Freedom shield in 12 and 13 inch to try. Do you ride with a passenger? They happy?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I am 6'2" my wife is 5'1" on a 15 CVO RGU. 15" Klockworks. 9800 miles 2 up. We are both pleased with the shield, bike does have the amps so we can hear well even at 90 plus. Wind is minimal no worse than my 05 electraglide.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am 6'2" my wife is 5'1" on a 15 CVO RGU. 15" Klockworks. 9800 miles 2 up. We are both pleased with the shield, bike does have the amps so we can hear well even at 90 plus. Wind is minimal no worse than my 05 electraglide.
Thats great to hear. I have also order the Klockworks to try. Its the 14 inch sport flare. Wide is 5.5.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I'm 6'2", my wife is 5'2". With a 13" Madstad we can hear the stereo, and we can talk. I hear more exhaust noise than wind noise, and my exhaust is stock. Pretty sure I could light a paper match at 60mph. In a matter of seconds I can have a tall 2-up windshield, or I can have a low, sleek summer shield.

·
Registered
6,521 Posts
Thats great to hear. I have also order the Klockworks to try. Its the 14 inch sport flare. Wide is 5.5.
I have the Klock Werks 14" Sports Flair and for me it's spot on perfect.
I wear a polo style carbon fiber half helmet and with the 14" shield the wind is just above the top of my helmet at speed. I can hear my audio much better as well. Good luck in your search and follow up with thread.
Swomack

·
Registered
6,521 Posts
I'm 6' tall and I wear a polo style carbon fiber half helmet and with the 14" shield the wind is just above the top of my helmet at speed. I can hear my audio much better as well. Good luck in your search and follow up with thread.
Swomack

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm 6' tall and I wear a polo style carbon fiber half helmet and with the 14" shield the wind is just above the top of my helmet at speed. I can hear my audio much better as well. Good luck in your search and follow up with thread.
Swomack
Hi, I read your review and it sounds really good. I ordered this and will follow up to let people know how things work out. Do you ever ride with a passenger? If so, how well does it work there?

Looks like the choices for the sport fare are 9 and 14 for the 2015+. 9 inch looked way to small for my needs. at 5'10 i was hoping for a 12, but it think all things considered, the 14 is going to be better, understanding that it slopes back rather than go straight up

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Coming from a Wideglide, lemme say I was impressed with the wind management of the new road glide fairing. So you're already light years ahead in comfort. That being said wind in the ears is still a stereo killer. So I've added the 14" klockwerks flair to assist in that regard. It has helped a lot and I think lowers will work in concert with the shield to assist. Let alone the extra speakers. I notice a discernable difference when moving my legs from the highway legs to floorboards in regard to the way the wind travels and hearing the stereo.

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
Coming from a Wideglide, lemme say I was impressed with the wind management of the new road glide fairing. So you're already light years ahead in comfort. That being said wind in the ears is still a stereo killer. So I've added the 14" klockwerks flair to assist in that regard. It has helped a lot and I think lowers will work in concert with the shield to assist. Let alone the extra speakers. I notice a discernable difference when moving my legs from the highway legs to floorboards in regard to the way the wind travels and hearing the stereo.
Like Rock said, fairing lower are a big part of wind management on the RGs. Also try a set of HD crash bar baffles.

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
Got the crash bar baffles on order. Heard they really make a difference.
They do. The help keep the wind from coming up under the fuel tank and riding up your body. The lowers are the best. Mutazu makes decent vented lower for around a bill if you don't want to shell out the cash for HD lowers.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I took them off of my 09. I didn't notice a difference. I was running a 14" LRS, and lowers
I agree. The only time I feel the crash bar deflectors made any difference was when I took the lowers off. With the lowers on I couldn't notice any difference coming up in front of the tank or sides. Plus with the lowers on I feel like the crash bar deflectors block air to the top of the motor.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I agree. The only time I feel the crash bar deflectors made any difference was when I took the lowers off. With the lowers on I couldn't notice any difference coming up in front of the tank or sides. Plus with the lowers on I feel like the crash bar deflectors block air to the top of the motor.
Good point and observation.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Probably going to hold on the lowers and just go with the crash bar deflectors for now. Hope they do a little something at least.

·
Registered
6,521 Posts
Lowers work great on the RG.
I dig mine for sure.
I paid $190.00 with the mounting hardware.
Best money spent in my book.
Swomack

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
IMO fairing lowers do more for wind management and rider comfort then a windshield. Don't get me wrong a good windshield is needed as well for best results.
I did the Klock Werks windshields and to me it wasn't a good windshield for wind management so it is in my box of misfit toys, I switched to a Windvest and I am very happy with the results JMO.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I found this windshield shootout/review for the 2015 glide. 2015 ROADGLIDE WINDSCREEN SHOOTOUT I feel like this is a pretty good review of some windshields out there. It sounds like the 14" Klockworks sport flare is the worst but best looking (out of the ones they tested). Its vertical height is only 10" and they claim that the 12" windvest gives better protection. But everybody has there own opinions about what works for them. Im interested to see how your reviews go and which one you like the best!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts