Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Parts Needed for Adding Tourpak/speakers/lights to your 2015 RG?

I will have my list to post all the parts needed to do a king tourpak with wrap around light bar and speaker pods in the next day or two but I found this on the web and it may help some of you with wiring problems. This appears to be what people are hunting for to add rear lights. Hope it helps. Let us know.

http://www.baddad.com/products/part/81009

Thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tour pack lights

Ref the wire harness from bad dad. Is this a "Y" type of harness? I have my tour pack and lights mounted but trying to figure out a wire harness to attach to the oem harness. I have a 2015 RG and there is only one plug that goes to the oem rear lights. I was thinking of going off this plug that is under the seat. Either by putting in a Y harness so that I could tie into the oem rear lights or just tie in to each wire. Can I do this without a equalizer for LEDs on the tour pack lights since this is the lead that goes to the oem lights?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The 2015 does NOT require the load equalizer. Just remember, the rear tail lights that come on it are not LED so you will need to change them if you plan to use the Custom Dynamics module. I will take a good look at mine tomorrow and post some pictures so you all can see how it all wires up. Not sure about the harness from Baddad, you will need to contact them to verify.
Nick

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pictures and part numbers to add tourpak to 2015 RG

Okay, I am hoping all the pictures and forms come out so you can see what is what and have the information to add a tourpak to your 2015 RG. I added the wrap around led tail light kit and speaker pods so it will look like it came from the factory that way(except for a few touches). I do want to state something very obvious, the HARLEY DEALER WILL NOT DO AS NICE A JOB AS YOU CAN DO YOURSELF! I had to go back and take plugs off the wiring and relocate my wiring from the outside of the tourpak and put everything inside like it should have been. I am attaching pictures of their install, my changes, and the parts list from the dealer that should have everything they used(they did not put the actual wire length, size or color for the interconnect cable they made to hook up the tourpak lights). If you have any questions about what was done, just ask and I will answer as best I can, I have been working on these a long time myself.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
What was your final cost?? When I was looking at buying I had several numbers, anywhere from $16-2500 depending on how much of it you wanted.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wiring

I have the Custom Dynamics module on my brake lights and I know it would be confusing if I tried to show it in the setup, so I am going to show it without it hooked up. Also showing it without the saddlebag lights hooked up. The wiring and plugs in front of the battery is the module for the saddlebag lights so they will not be used here. This way you can see how the tourpak hooks up to the bike itself.
The 2 plugs that you will use are on harness HD#69200129-REV 0 and plugs into HD#69200623-REV D. The harness that you see in the next post will plug in between the 2 plugs on one end and the other end will plug into the harness that is in the tourpak itself.

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wiring to tourpak

Now for pictures of the harness that you will need to make or find if you plan to order one. This harness has the HD 6 pin connectors on it that are on the list.
HD# 72414-07BK is the 6-way socket housing and HD# 72188-07BK is the 6-way pin housing. The list states 2 each but there are 2 sockets and 1 pin if I am correct(has the white cover inside and you cannot see the pins).
To make one you will basically have to make a harness with one of each plugs on it and on the pin end, add a socket housing and make a jumper for each of the wires so they are wired exactly as the socket on the other end is. I do not have the wiring colors yet so I cannot help on that now. You will also have to identify pin locations and wire colors from the manual so you have them in the correct place. If no-one can locate an aftermarket harness or get a diagram for it, let me know and I will sit down and draw up a diagram for this harness.

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wiring in tourpak

Okay, hope this is helping. Now for the tourpak itself, if you are adding any lights to it. I went ahead and ordered the harness for the entire tourpak that way I had all the wiring for any of the stock lights I wanted to add. The part number is HD#69200131. You will need to put a grommet in the bottom of the tourpak and put your wiring thru it from the inside. If you see mine, on the brake side, the dealer just cut the grommet because they were too lazy to take the plug off the end of the harness and feed the wires down thru the grommet. But if I were you, I would write down the locations of the wires, or take a picture, and take the plug housing off and do it the right way. Pictures show the harness inside the tourpak and where it goes thru to the outside. Get some clear packing tape and tape the harness down so it does not rub around in there. Plug in whichever lights you add. If you are adding the wrap around light kit, HD#67800368- smoke lens, or the red one, you wil;l have to get all the hardware listed on the second page of parts because they do not come with it so you will not have anything to mount it to the tourpak. Thanks Harley... Keep in mind as you look at these pictures, the harness for the lights is underneath the metal pan in the bottom of the tourpak.

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wiring for rear speakers and speaker pods

Now that we have some lighting details out of the way, here is some info on getting your rear speakers to work and what you will need for wiring. The speaker pod kit comes with the bass ports so these directions are for running your speaker wires inside the tourpak, thru the ports and not outside the tourpak, exposed to the weather and passenger. On the list of parts you will see the speaker pod kit HD#76000505. It actually comes with the harness that runs between the 2 speakers and the harness that goes up to the fairing and plugs into the radio. Because I was unsure if the harness that plugs into the stereo was part of the kit(and the dealer did not know, again) I ordered one off EBay. That number is HD# 69200489(I have an extra going up for sale soon). As I stated in another post, before you put this harness under the tank, tape your power wire for the amplifier to it(trust me, you will want an amp after you hear 4 speakers and how weak they are). The picture shows the harness with the red power wire for the amp attached to it. You will connect it to the Y-harness that plugs into the 2 rear speakers. That Y-harness will go on top of the metal plate in the bottom of the tourpak, tape it down just like the light harness underneath. Also, take the plug off and run the wire thru the grommet you will put in the bottom of the tourpak.
Here is where you may get a little aggravated but you will need to drill a hole in the shifter side bottom of the tourpak for a grommet to go in. The grommet can be the same size as the one used for the lights, HD#11447. Make sure you measure the diameter of the area between the 2 flanges on the outside of the grommet to get the drill size for your hole. As far as locating the hole, I marked it just at the front edge of the metal plate on the shifter side and then pulled the plate out and took the tourpak off the rack. Put tape over the outside area you are drilling so you don't pop a bunch of paint off the outside of the tourpak. Before putting the plate back in, take a grinder and make a U-shaped area where the wiring comes up thru the grommet so it will not hit the plate(and make sure you de-burr it good). Look at pictures and see what I did, and do that. Clean all shavings out of tourpak and put grommet in and re-install bottom plate and install tourpak on mounting rack. Pull wires down thru grommet and then put plug back on the wires on the outside of the tourpak. Tape the speaker harness in the tourpak down so it will not rub around. Run plugs for speakers over and into each of the bass adapters and connect to speakers after you get tourpak mounted on bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
More pictures for rear speakers

A few more pictures. I put in Polk Audio MM651 in the rear pods so I had to put the crossovers in the tourpak. I put plug-in connectors on the crossovers so they would plug in the stock harness, then ran the wires to the speakers thru the bass adapters into the pods. I used velcro to stick the crossovers to the liner. The speakers were really close to not fitting in the pods as the magnet housing was hitting, so i heated the area that has the flap of material inside the pods with a heat gun and took a metal bar and pushed on it so it moved out just a little. BE CAREFUL OR YOU WILL MELT THE PODS! If it is smoking, it is too hot. Some may get your speakers to go in without any problems, but I like gluing my wellnuts down so they don't move. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
More pictures for rear speakers

And it's finally done. It looks so much better than having all those wires out in the open. My next project is to add an amplifier for the stereo. I will post more on that later. If you have any questions, let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Thx for the write up.. I wasn't going to add speaker pod but after reading your write up I might tackle it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As far as the cost, that is the invoice from the dealer. I did get 15% off on all my accessories so it helped keep my cost down some. Make sure you ask for it, in fact, demand that they give it to you for spending the money with them. One of the only reasons I went ahead and paid the dealer to do this is because this is a brand new bike and not many people had any information about the wiring or layout of things on this new model. Also everything is covered under my warranty if it quits working. Not that I cannot fix it or could not have installed it all myself. I did go back and change all the wiring in the back so it was not exposed and sitting outside behind the rear passenger area, which I thought was pretty crappy. I thought the dealer would have done a better job and had more pride in their work. I plan to address that with the owner of the dealership. Anyway, that is the price it cost me. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the replies when I was trying to get this figured out. Got it all done now. Finally. I put an amp in last weekend and will be doing a write up on it soon. Power Acoustik CA4-1600D, 4 channel amp. Extremely small, pretty easy install. More to come. Thanks again.
Nick

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thanks for the replies when I was trying to get this figured out. Got it all done now. Finally. I put an amp in last weekend and will be doing a write up on it soon. Power Acoustik CA4-1600D, 4 channel amp. Extremely small, pretty easy install. More to come. Thanks again.
Nick
I have the T/P also, For those that haven't ordered yet. If you order a tour pak for an Ultra or Limited you can get it with all the lights and speakers already installed. It would be like ordering a replacement. Wish I had know.

Did you drill your own holes or did the shop drill for you? The only thing I need now is the "Y" wire to connect it all up and to drill the holes. Scary proposition to drill the holes. If you have a good mock up of the wire I'd love a copy. If the shop drilled your holes you think they would be willing to share some info with a non-customer?

The manual gives a good color description of the wires, so I've got wire to build but didn't have the ends or connectors. Wondering if I need a special crimping tool.

I have an 400watt amp to install also so interested in how you mounted and wire it up.

OK sorry for all the questions

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The dealer drilled all the holes in the tourpak. That's why I let them do it so if it got messed up, they would have to replace it. The only one I drilled was for the speaker harness. The dealer installed everything outside and ran the wires in the sides of the pods where they have the hole but I moved everything into the tourpak and put it under the liner, and ran the wires for the speakers thru the bass ports(I have pictures, not sure if I posted those). Much cleaner look. As far as the connectors, look at the post that has the 2 invoices, the second page has the part numbers for the connectors and the pins you will need to make that harness. I sent a message to the mechanic that made my harness today to see if he was interested in making some of these. I will post when I hear from him. If not, I may start making some to sell soon. I will be posting a writeup about my Power Acoustik CA4-1600D amp install soon. Depends on whether we take off for the mountains for the weekend. Hope this helps.
Nick

1 - 20 of 40 Posts