Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
before i pop for $300 I would like to know how good the auto tune works. My PC-V has a very close map now. I'm just wondering if I'll notice a difference.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am using both he PCV & Autotune in my 09. I am very happy with how they work. I like tinkering the the AFR to get max fuel mileage and rideability. I was getting 38 mpg with the fuelmoto map that came with my setup. Bike ran great everywhere but the gas mileage went down 8 MPG (from 46 to 38). I have tuned it back to 42 MPG and kept the 3000+ rpm part of the fuel map to keep everthing cool when I want to ride more agressively. As I change things I can let the unit tune to my changes with a trip to the dyno shop...I like this.

·
Registered
444 Posts
2 Thumbs Up on Auto Tune for PCV

I recently added the PCV to my bike along a complete 2009 2-1-2 exhaust, Jackpot slip ons, and an SE AC. FuelMoto supplied a map with the PCV and the bike ran pretty good. 3 weeks at the intial install, I went ahead and added the Auto Tune Module. I finally got to put in some riding time this afternoon and was riding 2 up with my wife. After about 20 minutes I would have to say that the bike went from running good, to running great! This is my first bike with FI, but I have tuned/jetted many a carburated MC. I like that I can look at the fuel trims the AT has calculated and accept or reject them. I'm not chasing every last bit of HP, but I do insist that my bikes run great. The Auto Tune sure made it easy to get mine running the way I like. I'll be installing an S&S 551EC cam sometime in the next couple months, and I am confident that the Auto Tune will come through for me again. :):)

Note: The documentation indicated that there would be 2 AT modules required, but the kit I got from FuelMoto had a dual channel AT module which made for a much cleaner install!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had the pc5, then bought Andrews 54 cams, V&H Pro Pipe and the autotune module. Still playing with the fuel trims but the bike runs great. I like tuning it myself instead of paying the dealer to beat it up on the dyno and then getting 30 mpg.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Very pleased with PCV and autotune.

I added the autotune when I swapped out the stock header (with cat) to the V&H Power Duals. Noticed more bark and more pull, especially when I roll on more power in 6th gear.

I've been getting 45 mpg, so I can't complain there.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have a Fuel Moto mapped PC V on my 08, with Fuel Moto ac and jackpot slip ons. I have no complaints. I sat through a tech session on the autotune at the V-twin expo, though, and now I want one. I think that there are some worthwhile gains to be had from it, and rather than spend a bunch of hours on the dyno, I'd rather have it tune to my driving style, etc. The layout of the auto tune program is very cool, where you can set target air fuels by rpm, throttle position, and gear. As others have said, I'd like to be able to lean out my 6th gear cruise, to get some mileage back. And with the ability to change maps on the PC V, I think some neat stuff can be done. The shop I work for dyno tunes cars, and I wish we had a tool like this.

And the best part is that you could effectively use the auto tune to populate the maps, and then sell it, if you don't plan on making any other changes. I'm considering renting mine out when I'm done with it.

Toby

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I am using both he PCV & Autotune in my 09. I am very happy with how they work. I like tinkering the the AFR to get max fuel mileage and rideability. I was getting 38 mpg with the fuelmoto map that came with my setup. Bike ran great everywhere but the gas mileage went down 8 MPG (from 46 to 38). I have tuned it back to 42 MPG and kept the 3000+ rpm part of the fuel map to keep everthing cool when I want to ride more agressively. As I change things I can let the unit tune to my changes with a trip to the dyno shop...I like this.
Sorry if these are stupid questions - just trying to understand how these different tuners work.

If you're manually tweaking values and even dyno tuning, isn't the Autotune pointless with your setup? Or is there a benefit to the AT that gets you close (or closer than a canned map), and then you go in and fine tune manually? How do you prevent the AT from undoing your manual changes?

·
Registered
444 Posts
...If you're manually tweaking values and even dyno tuning, isn't the Autotune pointless with your setup? Or is there a benefit to the AT that gets you close (or closer than a canned map), and then you go in and fine tune manually? How do you prevent the AT from undoing your manual changes?
The simple version: After you ride with the AT turned on for a while, you come home and shut off bike. Later you hook up laptop and accept the trims the AT has calculated. The trims modify the base map accordingly. Eventually the base map is dialed in as the trims the AT calculates become very small.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry if these are stupid questions - just trying to understand how these different tuners work.

If you're manually tweaking values and even dyno tuning, isn't the Autotune pointless with your setup? Or is there a benefit to the AT that gets you close (or closer than a canned map), and then you go in and fine tune manually? How do you prevent the AT from undoing your manual changes?
The autotune will tweak whatever values it sees fit to get to the desired A/F ratio in each individual cell. For instance, when I hooked up the Autotune it gave a default set of A/F ratios. In the cruise range (5-20% throttle, 2-3K RPM) it originally had a 13.7 A/F ratio. I wanted more fuel mileage so I changed the cells in this range to 14.2. After riding the bike I hooked up my laptop and went into the Trims page to see how much fuel it added or subtracted from my original map. Then, I accepted the trims and a new map is created. Or you can clear the trims. You can play with the A/F ratios and create and save as many maps as you like. I saved my original Fuel Moto map, the original Autotune map, my new mileage map and when I changed my exhaust, cams and did some headwork I made another map for that, too. I would think that if you are getting a dyno tune done and you don't plan on changing parts then an Autotune would be a waste of money. I wasn't that happy with the Fuel Moto tune plus, I was planning ahead to more mods, like a 103 or 107 down the road. The $300 I spent on this is much cheaper than the numerous dyno sessions I would have needed already, not to mention future sessions. The Autotune made a big difference on my bike, I now have power my bike never had and my fuel mileage is as good or better than it's ever been. I recently bought a PC-V for my GF's Deluxe and the Autotune is going on it right away. I've never used any of the other tuners out there so I can't comment on them but, I like the PC-V and Autotune very much. It's very easy to use and it works.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
The autotune will tweak whatever values it sees fit to get to the desired A/F ratio in each individual cell. For instance, when I hooked up the Autotune it gave a default set of A/F ratios. In the cruise range (5-20% throttle, 2-3K RPM) it originally had a 13.7 A/F ratio. I wanted more fuel mileage so I changed the cells in this range to 14.2. After riding the bike I hooked up my laptop and went into the Trims page to see how much fuel it added or subtracted from my original map. Then, I accepted the trims and a new map is created. Or you can clear the trims. You can play with the A/F ratios and create and save as many maps as you like. I saved my original Fuel Moto map, the original Autotune map, my new mileage map and when I changed my exhaust, cams and did some headwork I made another map for that, too. I would think that if you are getting a dyno tune done and you don't plan on changing parts then an Autotune would be a waste of money. I wasn't that happy with the Fuel Moto tune plus, I was planning ahead to more mods, like a 103 or 107 down the road. The $300 I spent on this is much cheaper than the numerous dyno sessions I would have needed already, not to mention future sessions. The Autotune made a big difference on my bike, I now have power my bike never had and my fuel mileage is as good or better than it's ever been. I recently bought a PC-V for my GF's Deluxe and the Autotune is going on it right away. I've never used any of the other tuners out there so I can't comment on them but, I like the PC-V and Autotune very much. It's very easy to use and it works.
Thanks fellas. That makes sense and sounds like a good system.

Appreciate it. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have finished my install of the pc-v with auto tune and am waiting for the snow and ice to leave so we can start the riding season. I had the auto tune on my 09 Classic and it worked excellent with my other add ons and 21H cams. I used a 09 V&H power dual header on my 2011 R/G/Ultra so I could use the 18mm 02 sensors from the 09 set up, I thought as long as the header was off 54H cams should go in. Fuel moto sent a base map for this set up and it cleaned the exhaust and smoothed the engine right out. Now if it would just stop snowing, 6-8" more today, AAHHH!

·
Registered
184 Posts
...The $300 I spent on this is much cheaper than the numerous dyno sessions I would have needed already, not to mention future sessions.
This is the attractive part about this feature, for me.

Very soon I'll be doing a PC V with Jackpot 2-1-2, SE A/C & slip-ons (yet to be detemined).
Seems like there's mostly good things being said about it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'd be happy to get 45 MPG. I have the PC-V, Supertrapp 2-1 exhaust system and Dougherty air intake with the canned map from Fuel-moto and I'm lucky to get to the low 30's MPG, regardless of highway or city riding. Do I need to get rid of the PC-V and visit a tuner and buy a Direct Link or SERT and have it tuned?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'd be happy to get 45 MPG. I have the PC-V, Supertrapp 2-1 exhaust system and Dougherty air intake with the canned map from Fuel-moto and I'm lucky to get to the low 30's MPG, regardless of highway or city riding. Do I need to get rid of the PC-V and visit a tuner and buy a Direct Link or SERT and have it tuned?
With the PCV...I would investigate the Auto Tune module.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You don't need to get rid of your PC-V. The Autotune is an add-on for the PC-V. I wasn't too happy with the mileage I was getting with my canned map from Fuel Moto, either. I tried taking fuel out of that map in the cruise range and, while it was better, I felt like I was stabbing in the dark. Was taking 6, 8 or 10 percent fuel out of each cell in that range going to be the ultimate for each cell? Probably not. That's why I got the Autotune, it does the work for you without you having to guess or get a dyno tune. I didn't actually measure my mileage but, I know I was going further on a tank than before I got the Autotune and changed the cells in the cruise range. When I get riding again (if winter ever ends around here:confused:) I'm going to measure my mileage and even try taking more fuel out and see what happens. I also have a Supermeg on my bike with a Big Sucker, 255 cams, .030 head gasket and mildly ported heads. I'm a tinkerer so the Autotune is a good investment for me. I can see a big bore and different cams in my future.:D

·
Registered
48 Posts
First I would contact Jamie at FM. Tell him what your bike is doing and see if he can lean out your fuel map. My map was too rich and I was getting 37-38 MPG. Jamie tweaked the map and I used the auto tune to lean out the cruise range. Now I am getting 40-42 MPG and great power. Don't give up on the PCVm you need some refining.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Something is very wrong. I have Rinehart true duals SE heavy breather and the PCV. Im getting 42 mpg down from stock of 45

1 - 19 of 19 Posts