Road Glide banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, looking for a little guidance on a oversight of mine!
So I purchased a Ness deep cut shift linkage (round) and when I went to install it I noticed the 2017 Roadglide has an offset from the back to the front. I was wondering if any of you out there have come across this as well and what your solution was?
I can't seem to find an "offset" inner shift rod to keep things in a perfect line or am I just reading into it a little to far?
Will this work at such an angle or will my shifting be hampered because of this? Looking for opinions before I remove it.
Thanks again and oh ya, it's -22C this morning in good old Alberta. Will summer ever come??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did yours come with hardware?

I was able to install mine (came without hardware) by using 2 1-1/4" 5/16-24 button head bolts (chrome), and had to use a spacer on the front to handle the offset. I could not find a suitable spacer, so I used 3 5/16 stainless lock washers and when installed, it is in perfect alignment. I used a 5/16-24 serrated nut on the back side.

Note that the front must go behind the shift lever. The 3 washers are used to space the linkage away from the lever.

So for the front, install bolt through sift arm, then 3 washers, then through linkage, then the serrated nut. Loctite the bolt with blue.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the insight. My shift rod did come with the hardware. I never thought to mount the front behind the shifter as the shift rod has a cut out on the back side. I guess if there is no chance of it being damaged or scarred by the movement because of the spacers you used then who is the wiser!
I managed to find a video on YouTube of a gentleman that built a very sweet 2017 RDG Special that has one installed on the front side with the Arlen Ness inner shift rod as well but the video moves a little fast at that point and it's difficult to see how he managed the instal.
Again, thanks for the picture and your wisdom.
Take care my friend?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts