Road Glide banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a stage I filter kit but as part of my winter project I had decided to a add a stage II air filter kit. Now, I have the pesky M&M EFI and thus had to make sure to get a kit fitted for the M&M throttle body (easily recognizable by the double "butterfly" air-intake whereas the Delphi is a single "butterfly" design).
I first had to remove the old backing-plate, breather-bolts, stand-off bolts, washers (x4) and gasket.

I have heard that you first add the gasket to the flange then the backing-plate; a real pain if you are alone as you need someone to hold the gasket. Well, I used the old trick of adding some grease to "glue" the gasket to the flange of the throttle-body before adding the backing plate. This kit comes with 4 rubber O-rings instead of washers. I used the same trick here; adding some grease to the O-rings before placing them in the grooves on the front and rear of the breather-bolt opening.

There is one thing I don't understand: why not attach the -4- 1/4-20x 1-1/4 set-screws first for the stand-offs before placing the back-plate on the throttle-body? In this manner the gasket is held in place before attaching the backing-plate. The holes in the backing-plate are not threaded which would dictate the other procedure of attaching the backing-plate first and then the screws for the 4 stand-offs.

This kit comes with 4 breather-bolts - 2 for EVOs and 2 for Twin Cams, they are easy to spot which is which. Leave the breather-bolts loose until the 4 screws are installed. The four set-screws for the stand-offs have an opening in one end for a hex-key and are tourqed to 3-5 ft/lbs. The breather-bolts are torqued to 10-12 ft/lbs.

The air-filter has several holes so to fit both a M&M and Delphi throttle-body. If you don't plan on using a cover you'll need to plug the holes not covered by buttonheads (screws) attached to the stand-off bolts. In my kit there was a cover for the filter element. This cover had a nylon spacer and a Allen head screw.

The whole job took about 20 mins since I'm very thorough! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are some more photos of the air filter element and cover. The holes in the filter element is clearly visible. I added the black cover and put on a SE-sticker. The sticker looks a bit cheesy and it will be replaced by a H-D medal that I've ordered! :)

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts