Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a dumb question but, there is a loud clunking noise when I give the bike gas or let off the gas abruptly. I never noticed it on the softail but it was a MUCH louder bike. If it's normal, I'm cool with it but it doesn't sound normal. It's either tranny slop or the primary chain. Thanks in advance, Micah

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
What year is the bike? Any work done to the engine? Make sure your clutch is adjusted but it sounds like you may have a bad compensator.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Possible compensator going out.. just had the latest version of HD's installed in my 09. Still makes a noise once a month or so.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, it's a 2013 with slipons and an open element breather. It just has a stage 1 dl on it and everything else is stock. It's only got 5300 miles on it. I thought the compensator had been fixed by 2013 and there's no starting noises. Only while cruising down the road and in all gears but first. It makes a similar noise when the bike is not running, in gear and I rock it back and forth. That's why I was leaning towards primary chain being loose.
Is there a way to check the chain without draining the fluids?

·
Registered
76 Posts
You have to drain the oil to pull the primary cover. Is the bike out of warranty?

It could be in the tranny or clutch, can you pin down what area it's coming from? Get a helper to listen while you rock the bike, it would save some time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No clue about the warranty. I didn't buy it new and didn't get an ESP. I'm gonna try to tighten the auto tightener tomorrow and see if it helps.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
you may want to read through this thread, I picked my bike up yesterday and pushed them a little harder on his explanation of the noise, he explained it just as sfcusaret2004 explained it, I am pretty confident its a non issue at this point, just a new noise that my bike makes like vroom vroom only clunk clunk. :)

http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=159433

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Installed the tensioner and it made no difference. It shifts very nice though. Ave another issue thoug, while going down a very steep hill in first and letting the engine slow me, it felt like it let go for a second and there was a clunk when it happened. It felt like the clutch slipped. Mind you this was like a 45 degree decline.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
go to the dealer and have them run the vin. the 2015s are not out yet, so your bike may still be under the 2 year factory warranty. if so, you could also purchase the esp as well.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
factory warranty does. the esp you have to do paperwork.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yes it transfers, 2 years unlimited miles. If you call the service department they can run your VIN and tell you the "in service date." Thats the date your warranty started.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Yes it transfers, 2 years unlimited miles. If you call the service department they can run your VIN and tell you the "in service date." Thats the date your warranty started.
and there are several things that could have happened to even extend the warranty beyond 2 years past that in-service date. let the service dept run your vin and tell you both the in-service date, and the warranty expiration date.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts