Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So on to the next project. Thanks to everyone who helped with my bar selection and install (Wild 1 612s). Bike is much more comfortable to ride now! My next project is a little bigger (aka more expensive). I want to upgrade the audio on my 13 RGU. Nothing huge, just want louder, cleaner audio at highway speed. I am currently shopping around by going to the local audio store who has a great deal of experience in motorcycle audio, but also online at reputable audio stores (Garage Bagger, Custom Soundz, ect.). I will post what I hear from each place, and would greatly appreciate your .02 as my knowledge of audio setups is lacking. Feel free to recommend setups as well, but nothing too crazy! Definitely not looking to spend more than 800 bucks at the most.

First up is the local shop. I was very surprised to find out how much knowledge these guys have. They knew they had to use adapters to make the larger speakers fit, and have smaller amps to install in the fairing. Here's what they recommended for my set up.

4x JL TR650 CXI - $130 a pair (this is the installed price)

JL MHX280/4 Amp - $225

Alpine CDE-143BT Receiver - $125

Kit for handlebar controls - $90

Install kit and harness - $45

Labor - $125

TOTAL - $870

A bit more than I want to spend, but it will be installed by professionals and I know it will be done right (more than I can say for myself). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I'll continue this thread as I get more info.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think I would probably do the JL Audio 400/4 Amplifier and maybe change the speaker to the C2-650X(for power handling purposes) if you wanted to stay with JL.

My first set up I had the Polk DB6501's and the RF 300/4 amp and still had problems at speed hearing it clearly. So I think the Amp/speakers you are looking at now may not give you the volume/clarity you are looking for. I know people who run the 400/4 and swear by it.

I think the deal overall is a good deal.

Can I ask why you are changing the head unit? You can get a line out convertor and keep the head unit.

Amazon.com : PAC SNI-35 Variable LOC Line Out Converter : Power Converters : Car Electronics

Get two, one for the front and one for the rear.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
OC, thanks for the reply. I'll ask the guys at the shop about speakers that can handle a bit more power. You're to second person to say that about the speakers they recommended, but the first to actually provide a specific workaround. Thank you! As for the head unit, I want to be able to use bluetooth/USB. I know, I could send out the HU to get worked and buy a cheap bluetooth module, but I'd rather spend just a bit more to get something that works well. But damn if 15 bucks doesnt sound better than 125!

·
Registered
67 Posts
OC, thanks for the reply. I'll ask the guys at the shop about speakers that can handle a bit more power. You're to second person to say that about the speakers they recommended, but the first to actually provide a specific workaround. Thank you! As for the head unit, I want to be able to use bluetooth/USB. I know, I could send out the HU to get worked and buy a cheap bluetooth module, but I'd rather spend just a bit more to get something that works well. But damn if 15 bucks doesnt sound better than 125!
If you decide to go with the new Alpine Radio, I would look at the 149BT as it runs 4 Volts on the pre out versus 2 Volts and you will get a cleaner sound. I have friends who are running this with the Alpine 400/4 and they like it and it is LOUD.

I recently changed from a Sony MSX-60 2-volt pre-out to their MSX-70(bad memory it is a 70 something) with a 5 volt pre-out and the clarity/volume change was very noticeable.

Also, look at getting a USB Cord put in your glovebox. I ran mine in there and run my radio off of the Ipod I put in there.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OC, thanks so much for your input. I will definitely be checking those out. I'm not sold on anything yet, because I know there are people, like yourself, who know about much better options than I do.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm running a Kenwood x998, which has BT capabilities, and 4V pre-outs. I've had the unit for a year now and have zero complaints. If you dont mind the possibility of losing FM, Soundstream makes an amp (4.100D) that pushes 140 watts a channel, fits in the faring and is less than $170 bucks. Lots of great options out there...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Austinslider, after reading some archived posts of yours and other members, I think I'm gonna go with that SS amp (4.1000D) and a JVC HU that is bluetooth and pushes out 4.5V. Now for speakers, jury is still out. I may go with the kappas that so many people talk about. I don't want this build to get out of control so I'm trying to do HU, amp, 4x speakers, adapters, and adapters to keep handlebar controls all for under 800. If I go kappas, I can do it all for under 750. I just don't know if its better to go 2ohm, or 4ohm for speakers...

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had a similar set up with RF Fosgate PBR 300x 4 amp and 4 of their Power speakers and although it sounded good in the garage it did not cut it going down the highway, and that's at 75 watts a channel. If I read the stats on the JL amp correctly it is rated at 50 watts a channel and that's not enough power to hear it clearly at HWY speeds, probably an excellent system in a car. The only Focal speakers I would use are the KRCs pushed by one of the Arc 600 watt amps and those alone would put you well over your budget.IF you only want to do it once using your budget call the folks at Biketronics. The 7.1s in the fairing, the 6.5s in the pods pushed by the 4180 amp which is 180 watts a channel x4 at 4 ohms, not only can you hear it at hwy speeds but you can also feel it, all under budget, lifetime warranty and awesome customer service.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
376 Posts
I went with the Biketronics 7.1"s in my bike all the way around with the 4180 amp. Boy is it loud. I can hear it clear as a bell at 90+mph. Others can hear it beside me on the interstate over their radio. It's awesome. Comes with full directions and amazing customer service. They were doing a 10% off sale for the 4th, if it's not still going on maybe you could talk them into giving it to you. I'm still running the stock head unit, and I'm still up in the air whether or not I'll change it. I do love my Alpine head units, but it seems like a pain. Maybe someday, but I do know that the guys at Biketronics told me that if I upgraded the head unit the speakers would sound even better. At least give them a look, they really are amazing, almost too loud! Good luck.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Best place to get the schorse handlebar controller? Was gonna go crutch field but they are out of them

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bike going in the shop Monday for audio overhaul. Set up as followed:

Kenwood Excelon x799
Sosche install kit and handlebar control adapter
Soundstream 4.1000D amp
2x DD Audio 6.5 CXS
2x DD Audio 6.5 VO-M6.5

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Bike going in the shop Monday for audio overhaul. Set up as followed:

Kenwood Excelon x799
Sosche install kit and handlebar control adapter
Soundstream 4.1000D amp
2x DD Audio 6.5 CXS
2x DD Audio 6.5 VO-M6.5

What made you change your setup from the original post?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Honestly, research and talking with people who install bike audio for a living. The head unit pushes out more pre amps and plays AAC files (iTunes). The amp costs half as much and came with really good reviews. And DD speakers come very highly recommended from audio experts. Chris Lowe at Garage Bagger Stereo says he prefers them over Hertz as of late due to cost effectiveness and quality of sound.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
For the money, use the Kappas and a 4 channel amp that is two ohm stable. The 400/4 JL is good but pretty big. Look at the JLHX280, Memphis SA4.50, or Cerwin Vega B4. Change head units for sure (4volt or better pre-out) and you can get the HDSWC1 handle bar controlled on eBay all day long for $80 shipped. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
BikeTronic Titan II 2-speaker kit

I'm looking for a audio-kit that won't break my bank. I'm considering the BikeTronic Titan II 2-speaker kit with a Sony head-unit (ca. $700.00). It seems to be a good option; have anyone any experience with it?
It seems to be a plug&play install but I'm guessing that I probably need a speaker adapter. I'm not sure but I believe I have 5x1/4" speakers on my 2001 CVO and the Titans II are 7.1"?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.