Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So I just did a complete redo of my audio system. Pioneer HU (4v) preamp outs with PAC handlebar controls, Hertz HSK165XL's up front, HCX165's in speaker lowers, and HCX690 6x9's in a set of Hogtunes lids with a Hertz HDP4 amp in my bag.

Now I'm trying to setup my gains and such. What is the best way to do so?

I tried turning up the volume all the way up with gains set at 0. I get amp clipping at around 55( max I believe is 60-65). So do I back the volume down to around 45-50 and then start setting my gains? Adjust front gains until clipping happens and then back off?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. So dilemma number 2.

My hertz amp took a crap. So while it is away getting fixed. I bought a nano PN4.1000D 4ch amp. Pretty much the same specs powerwise as my hertz amp.
The only physical difference is that it requires 2 RCA cables ran to it. One for front channels and one for rear channels. 3 sets of speakers hooked up in parallel. RCAS ran from my front and rear preamp out on my pioneer deck. Radio has high pass filter on and so does the setting on the amp.

Fronts play normally. Rear 6x9's seem to only play the music. No vocals. I'm assuming this is normal from the rear channel preamp.

Is there an RCA that splits from one junction into 2?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can I use something like this to split it? Run one out of the red port and one out of the white port on the front channel RCA out? That way I'm getting the same signal to both channels?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your right. I've been messing with it. I'm pretty new to this audio thing.

So could I run the front 2 sets of speakers in parallel (2 speakers/channel @ 2ohms/channel) and my 6x9's on their own channel (straight 1speaker/channel @ 4ohms/channel)?

·
Registered
889 Posts
But to answer your other question on the RCA inputs, yes, you can use RCA y-splitters to split the signal coming off the head unit and use the resulting 4 RCA jacks to plug into the amp with no problem.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Your right. I've been messing with it. I'm pretty new to this audio thing.

So could I run the front 2 sets of speakers in parallel (2 speakers/channel @ 2ohms/channel) and my 6x9's on their own channel (straight 1speaker/channel @ 4ohms/channel)?
IMO, That would be the best solution. Run the 4 front speakers on the front channel of the amp and put the 6x9's on the rear channel..

If I understand how you have it wired your not getting Stereo sound and that's why your rear 6x9's don't sound right..

·
Registered
545 Posts
Fyi... to calculate the ohms in parallel, do product over some for two speakers.

So:
4 × 4 / 4 + 4 = 16 / 8 = 2 ohms

Next speaker added in to the mix.

4 x 2 / 4 + 2 = 8 / 6 = 1.33

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm just all very confused at this point. I've seen guys running 8+ speakers on 4 channel amps with no issues. I wouldn't think they would be running them all in series as you would not want to decrease your speaker output.

**scratches head**

·
Registered
889 Posts
If the amp can handle a 2 ohm load, you can run two 4 ohm speakers in parallel on each channel. If you have a 4 channel amp then you could run 8 speakers with 2 speakers in parallel on each channel.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I'm just all very confused at this point. I've seen guys running 8+ speakers on 4 channel amps with no issues. I wouldn't think they would be running them all in series as you would not want to decrease your speaker output.

**scratches head**

You just answered your own dilemma. You can run 8 speakers on a 2 ohm stable, 4 channel amp by running a pair of 4ohm speakers off of each channel wired in parallel.

But the moment you add another 4ohm load to that channel in parallel, the load will drop to 1.33, and the amp will crap out.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7,282 Posts
OneSlick.. I get confused as well. I'm old school. I'm use to speaker ohms match the amp ohms and each speaker has its own channel.. But I wiring can make a big difference in sound quality and longevity of a system .

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You just answered your own dilemma. You can run 8 speakers on a 2 ohm stable, 4 channel amp by running a pair of 4ohm speakers off of each channel wired in parallel.

That's how I currently have my speakers hooked up. Here's a little sketch ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1432136460.553374.jpg

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OneSlick.. I get confused as well. I'm old school. I'm use to speaker ohms match the amp ohms and each speaker has its own channel.. But I wiring can make a big difference in sound quality and longevity of a system .

Q. It is all very confusing. Especially for the audio novice like myself. Lol

1 - 20 of 32 Posts