Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I current run a six speaker 2 amp Rockford Fosgate system and I am very happy with what I have as far as sound quality, loudness etc. I must say that I am RF fan and will recommend their products. For most riders the best bang for the buck I feel are the RF products. There are multiple options out there for audio on Baggers these days with prices that cover the whole spectrum:

If your wanting to save some money and have a little of mechanical know how the RF products are a very good option. RF offers lots flexibility over other brands.

I attended the V-Twin expo last year and all the commonly referred to companies were represented and had systems installed on bikes for review. But in a convention center with thousands of people walking around it's hard to determine what a system will sound like on the road?

ARC Audio was good for an out of the box plug and play system with more power. reasonably priced but not as flexible to expand as was told by the Rep. They prefer to sell their packaged kits but dealers can get their amps individually. I have not heard a custom system using their amps to comment.

Hogtunes, was plug and play, I was not impressed with loudness of their amplified system but was better than stock at a affordable price. As far a stock speaker replacements, these are a great low cost option. I have installed several RF systems for friend who bought Hogtunes kits and were not impressed with the output. Keep in mind they make a good product but if your wanting a loud system you're not going to much a drastic improvement over stock

J&M, I was not overly impressed with their basic system but when you ran their 4 channel amp to four speakers and added the 7.5 speakers in lowers with their amp it sounded good but was an expensive six speaker system. They also offer a subwoofer kit that I did not hear. I have seen pictures and it's a nice clean install. Just cannot comment on sound of the sub.

Cycle sounds offer a power puck that attaches to the magnet of your stock HD speaker to amplify the output but for over $200.00 I think there are better options. Of course their lids are awesome!

Rockford Fosgate, has multiple amp and speaker options with a reasonable price tag. IMHO, RF truly lets you custom build a system around your budget and provides the options to expand down the road to include mono maps and subwoofers.

Polk, Rockford and Hertz speakers are very popular and all sound great. I tend to prefer the RF Power series speaker because of price point and durability. Hertz speakers are awesome too but run a little more from what I have found. Polk sound good but from what I have seen are not as durable as RF and Hertz. Speaker choice comes down how you build your system, budget and what brand you personally prefer. If you look at the forum there is a preference for every product out there.

If money is not an option and you want true plug and play and simplicity of install with quality sound output, then the new Hawg Wired systems are they way to go. I was very impressed with their Six Speaker lid system with their new line of AMPS. Good quality and killer sound!

JMHO, Keep in mind this is based off my own personally experience intended to assist in helping you make a informed decision on what to buy.

Chris

·
Super Moderator
12,433 Posts
I agree with most of what you wrote from my observations, I have RF right now also, but within the next 2 weeks I'll be going Hawgwired for the amps, with a combo of Focal, Polk, and RF for the speakers, I wish I could go all Focal, but due to $$$ and one fittiment, I'll be doing the combo.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I agree with most of what you wrote from my observations, I have RF right now also, but within the next 2 weeks I'll be going Hawgwired for the amps, with a combo of Focal, Polk, and RF for the speakers, I wish I could go all Focal, but due to $$$ and one fittiment, I'll be doing the combo.
UR gonna have to make a Video,....
You going,...2-400 watt amps or 300 watt?
I know ya posted, or said , what somewhere, but cant remember now.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
I use 8 gauge wires

need to get my rear amp down to 2ohm, have to make that commitment to cut in another set of 6.5's into the saddlebags, not crazy about the location, but where JM crew placed their sub is first thought, however that is where I keep my brain bucket, so maybe just hunting for some 2ohm 5x7 speakers, lowers would add another $650 to the mix

·
Super Moderator
12,433 Posts
UR gonna have to make a Video,....
You going,...2-400 watt amps or 300 watt?
I know ya posted, or said , what somewhere, but cant remember now.
I'm doing 3 300watt amps, one for the normal spot, one will power the lowers and inside inner fairing, and the third will be for the speakers in the bags, so 3 amps and 8 speakers, going to run Focals in the lowers and regular spot on the fairing.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I'm doing 3 300watt amps, one for the normal spot, one will power the lowers and inside inner fairing, and the third will be for the speakers in the bags, so 3 amps and 8 speakers, going to run Focals in the lowers and regular spot on the fairing.
Haaaaaaaaaaaa!
Bring ON the 1000 watt J&M!
Xtreme-Dude!
I'm Love-Love-Loven It!!!
Gotta make a Vi-De-Ooooo!

U

·
0 Posts
Thanks orange09-Hawg Wired or Rockford Fosgate is the way I'm leaning. They have a good track record. I read on one thread where one MC stereo Co was getting blasted because they keep coming up with the new and improved version of their products and several forum members were mad because they had just bought the old product. And magnet size does matter in the performance of a speaker. One company claims they use a lightweight neodyne magnet for stability in the fairing. In other words we make crappy speakers but are going to BS you and hope you buy our crap. Thanks for the info. You just reinforced what I've heard from a audio store that's been in business for 31 years where I live. They named the same brands you did. You get what you pay for.

Sent from my LGL45C using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dont know much about audio-I am in the process of doing handle bars and figure while I have everything apart I should upgrade stereo right away-I currently have vintage 2001 stock speakers with super sweet stock tape deck stereo-looking for some speakers to put in-if thats worth it- or deck and speakers if I need to but money is a issue cause of the rest of stuff I am doing. Talked to J&M but they stopped communicating-they said I could not use the 7.25? speaker in my bike-not looking to add more speakers in bags or anything-thanks in advanced for any help!- I am definetely electrically challenged!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Rockford most have come a long ways since I was a car installer (10 or so years ago). Used to be crap you put in a civic for a kid that wanted loud and didn't care about sound quality. Like I said, been out of the loop since I started driving truck.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
209 Posts
Polk sound good but from what I have seen are not as durable as RF and Hertz.
Chris
Interesting.. What have you seen? I've been through most of them out there aside from Focal and I'll put those (properly installed) Polk MM651s up against any of these you mention without thinking twice.. Look at the specs on the speakers, they don't even compare.
1w @ 88db vs 94db
70w rms vs 100w rms
65hz to 22khz vs 40hz to 25khz..

every 3 db increase equates to roughly DOUBLE the sound ouput. Just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I use 8 gauge wires

need to get my rear amp down to 2ohm, have to make that commitment to cut in another set of 6.5's into the saddlebags, not crazy about the location, but where JM crew placed their sub is first thought, however that is where I keep my brain bucket, so maybe just hunting for some 2ohm 5x7 speakers, lowers would add another $650 to the mix

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_18052_Polk-Audio-MM571.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=productads&gclid=CJOUxvq1uLUCFUiRPAodm3oArw

·
Registered
209 Posts
maybe someone knows, I've been looking around for high output mid bass or full range drivers, high output 4ohm

around 102db, cadence, powerbass, stuff like that, any ideas, preferences?
Thing you need to be careful with here is magnet size and weight. Some of these HQ speakers are going to be monster weight and something I would certainly concern myself with especially inside the fairings attached to plastic mounting points. Lowers and pods not so much but then you're still dealing with size.

I've installed these in different wiring configurations in the past and they impressed me

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
dBell, I'm running 1 JL600w amp & 8 speakers @ 2ohms.. She's beating. So I know yours should be a killa.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
.. careful with .. size and weight..
every 3 db increase equates to roughly DOUBLE the sound ouput. Just something to keep in mind.
the ones I'm looking at are 100db 20 oz magnet, 101-7,000 Hz, res 101Hz
depth 3" - currently sold out, so I have time to think about it or pay retail

ZX are 14oz, 90db

saw another set, 93db, good demos, also sold out

those car show guys buy it all up?

·
Registered
209 Posts
the ones I'm looking at are 100db 20 oz magnet, 101-7,000 Hz, res 101Hz
depth 3" - currently sold out, so I have time to think about it or pay retail

ZX are 14oz, 90db

saw another set, 93db, good demos, also sold out

those car show guys buy it all up?
that's why they get to go and we don't! LOL

ah you're good with that.. what I'd be concerned with is anything over 48 oz.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dont know much about audio-I am in the process of doing handle bars and figure while I have everything apart I should upgrade stereo right away-I currently have vintage 2001 stock speakers with super sweet stock tape deck stereo-looking for some speakers to put in-if thats worth it- or deck and speakers if I need to but money is a issue cause of the rest of stuff I am doing. Talked to J&M but they stopped communicating-they said I could not use the 7.25? speaker in my bike-not looking to add more speakers in bags or anything-thanks in advanced for any help!- I am definetely electrically challenged!
HDonut is right, Get you a good Sony iPod integrated radio with either a biketronics or Hawg Wired integration kit and some replacement 5.4's and you'll be happy.

Chris

1 - 20 of 20 Posts