Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was quoted $1375 for an install of a Hertz HSK 165 speakers with an Alpine KTP 445U Power Pack and a Kenwood KMR - D558BT Head Unit. Price include 5 hours labor @ $70/hr. Fair price? Any input on the set up? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I was quoted $1375 for an install of a Hertz HSK 165 speakers with an Alpine KTP 445U Power Pack and a Kenwood KMR - D558BT Head Unit. Price include 5 hours labor @ $70/hr. Fair price? Any input on the set up? Thanks in advance.
350 for the install is good price although the alpine power pack is a waste of money..

The Radio is 140.00
U can get a set of polks for 60.00
fosgate amp 200.00
Labor 350.00

So 750 for a good setup and you can save some coin..

Now even if you really wanted the hertz speakers shopping around you can get them for about 329.00 and that would save you a few hundred.. Also you need to get a handlebar control kit..

I would recommend axxess handlebar control - costs about 80 bucks best controller I have found on the market.

Good luck with the radio :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Q-Hog I love your setup. Honestly the pics ive seen of your scoot have inspired me to add lowers and eventually new speakers in fairing and lowers on my custom.

Do you have a audio build thread you made? I thought I remember seeing one but now when I search I cant find it. I am looking to do a new sound system during winter 2015.

thx

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Are you buying all the audio modifications from the shop? If so, I'd ask if you can just bring the audio modifications in, if you can then shop on Amazon or some where for the lowest price.

The head unit you should be able to install yourself, along with the fairing speakers.

·
Administrator
12,454 Posts
The installation price seems ok, I would question the cost of the parts, seems everything must be at MSRP, if you can DIY that would be good, if not, what's the break down on prices.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
203 Posts
DO NOT waste money on that power pack especially with those speakers. The Hertz ESK-165s are a great speaker and cost a bit less. I would keep the deck add a GOOD amp and do it yourself. Save the money because you will want more later.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Can't beat the quality of HawgWired...JMO. The hardest part of the instal is putting the fairing back on for the first time. Good Luck

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Agree with the boys, do it yourself. Figure out how much you can spend. Read alot of stereo threads. My speakers and amp make my bike sound like a concert on wheels. Don't it once. I'm a firm believer on a great amp and great speakers. I had to install the amp in my bag. That may not be an option for you. Idk. There's a lot of good advice here on the forum.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Do the install yourself and loose the KTP445. It's a good amp if you are using lower end speakers that don't require a ton of power. The Hertz like power. I currently running a custom HSK 130 three way set in my car bi amped. 500 watts total to each door. I would get a good higher watt amp and install yourself. I thought it would be hard,but I did my whole car myself and it sounds great. Under powering a speaker will blow them faster then overpowering them. Underpower causes distortion which heats the speaker in turn blowing it. Overpowering can blow it too but you don't have to run it to distortion to hear it so you don't heat them up as bad. This is how it was explained to me at CES. So since then I've always gone with and amp that matches or exceeded max speaker wattage and haven't had an issue yet.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Got a JL audio amp for sale XD400/4 that I'll give you a great deal on. Inbox me if you're interested.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I did all my work myself for my audio upgrade. I have no experience with audio installation. With YouTube and the selection of DIY kits, it is a no brainier and DIY is a money saver. Plus if something goes wrong, you will know how to fix it. Become your own wrench. Many of my installation stories are posted on this forum.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I have the same hertz speakers plus the ECX versions (I think thats what they are) in the inner fairing. Added a HW amp and did it myself. Saved almost half of what they quoted you. It is not that hard to do and as others have said between YouTube , included instructions and this forum you will get all the help/answers needed. You can also all describe from various sponsors/members of this forum for less.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
26 Posts
Definitely DIY.
I've done my own simple Pbr300x4 with stock and inner fairing speakers.
Also done friends multiple times. Amp in bag and in fairing SG installs.

Learned a bit more every time. I've still asked a few members about how they did things so i could be even cleaner.

I am now working out my monster system. 6 speakers, good amps, clean wiring plan, quick disconnects

1 - 14 of 14 Posts