Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone , new to the forum , nice to meet everyone . I have a 2017 Harley road glide special that I had the local dealer install an stage 3 Rockford fosgate kit on my bike . Yes it was flashed and I went over all tuning with Rockford themselves . It sounds a lot better then stock but I feel for the money I spent it could have went better then this . Looking at replacing the 6.5 speakers in the front and also the 6by9s in the bags and getting a different amp . Spoke to local audio places and also motorcycle audio places and wondering what ppl are running to get better reviews . I was recommend the filling brands , diamond audio , prv , mmats, hertz , ground zero , did,

any help would be great thanks

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Hi everyone , new to the forum , nice to meet everyone . I have a 2017 Harley road glide special that I had the local dealer install an stage 3 Rockford fosgate kit on my bike . Yes it was flashed and I went over all tuning with Rockford themselves . It sounds a lot better then stock but I feel for the money I spent it could have went better then this . Looking at replacing the 6.5 speakers in the front and also the 6by9s in the bags and getting a different amp . Spoke to local audio places and also motorcycle audio places and wondering what ppl are running to get better reviews . I was recommend the filling brands , diamond audio , prv , mmats, hertz , ground zero , did,

any help would be great thanks
Welcome, from New York, to The greatest Forum on The Internet!
Recently, Ground Zero released new 6.5 Coaxial Speakers (Ground Zero 6.5" Coax GZCF 6.5PL ) that are getting great reviews.
Before them the MMats were the Hot Ticket, so to speak. (MMats Pro Audio PA601.cx 6.5" Pro Coax).
For Speaker Lids You can go GZ 7x10 (Ground Zero 7x10" GZCF 7104XSPL) 0r MMats 6x9 (PA 690.4 CX).
The Diamond Audio 6x9's also get great reviews.
As for Amps, I prefer the Soundigital Line of Amplifiers but there are many other decent amps available.
If You do a YouTube search maybe You can find the speakers and amp that are to Your Liking.
Best of Luck!
Mike U.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Welcome to the forum and you’re right, for the money, you can do a lot better. Mike summed up pretty well where we are at currently for the best of the best. GZ coax in the fairing will play loud and has also been vetted to throw real punch, down to 70-80hz which is unheard of from a 6.5” woofer. I will let someone else chime in about your 6x9 options as I’ve been out of the 6x9 game for a minute but where it all comes together is giving them good, clean power. Because both sets will desire plenty of juice I’d steer you to the soundigital 1200.4 evoX 4 ohm. Good luck man, you’re on the right track!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 RGS, Fullsac exhaust, S&S stealth AC, TTS tuner.
1,416 Posts
You can not go wrong with the advice of @Mike U and @cpbedor say. I recently watched this on you tube and found it informative, even if he could have gotten to his point in half the time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am running 4 Diamond Audio 6.5 and DA horns up front with a Micro4V2 and 4ea 6x9 in bags with a amp and a Rockford DSP

·
Registered
72 Posts
I installed the RF front kit and bag lid speakers , stock head unit. I had an authorized RF dealer flash my system and mine cranks. I can hear mine loud and clear at 100mph . If your not happy i'd have it check by an authorized RF dealer and NOT harley.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Welcome to the forum and you’re right, for the money, you can do a lot better. Mike summed up pretty well where we are at currently for the best of the best. GZ coax in the fairing will play loud and has also been vetted to throw real punch, down to 70-80hz which is unheard of from a 6.5” woofer. I will let someone else chime in about your 6x9 options as I’ve been out of the 6x9 game for a minute but where it all comes together is giving them good, clean power. Because both sets will desire plenty of juice I’d steer you to the soundigital 1200.4 evoX 4 ohm. Good luck man, you’re on the right track!

[/QUOTE
I'm wanting to run a evoX 1200.4. Will it fit without an aftermarket amp rack?

·
Registered
369 Posts
It’s a tight fit but it’ll go. When I say it’s tight, I mean you may be trimming some things and getting creative. It’s not going to just sit on your headlight with a smile.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Water resistant yes, waterproof - like any electronic device, no. I spray my cones with Kiwi Camp Dry. You can also get yourself some acoustic grill cloth, spray that with camp dry as well and wrap the speaker.

Personally, if I’m caught in a downpour, I use it as an excuse to buy new gear. I figure if god wants my speakers ruined, it’s probably a message that I need new stuff.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Rather than starting a new thread, may I request for a suggested bill of materials recommended for installing a budget system (would like to stay under $750 total) on my 2017 Road Glide Special. I am based in India but will buy all the components when I visit the US may be in March end. Considering the distance, and the lack of non Harley dealer mechanics (who will not stray too far from the normal), I would like to keep the system as close to stock fitment as possible. (Willing to do the pod cutting for the Ground Zero and cover with Road Kill Ultimate). Also I need to keep in mind that cops in India are on a rampage against sound. Too loud music will surely attract the wrong kind of attention. Also cannot really look at RF due to the flash needed.

I already have a set of Hogtunes Gen 3 speakers in pods on the tourpak but these are more to cover the gap of the backrest rather than sound. I always ride with a full face helmet, so rear sound really doesn't come through, but I am thinking of a 4 channel amp to power those speakers.

I plan the following:
  • 2 main fairing speakers (either the Ground Zero or Hertz SX 165). Can I re-use the OEM grill or do I fit a new one?
  • 4 ch amp.
  • Stinger Roadkill Ultimate
  • What will be the mounting hardware recommended (amp mounting, speaker adapters? etc.)
  • Cable and/or wiring kits to retain the original harnesses. If I cut the cables, I will have service issues.
    - (already planned the T-Spec V8-AGU 4/8 AWG Fuse Holder and Stinger 2-/4-Channel Universal Amp Wiring Kit)
  • Crossovers, protection, fuses, etc.
  • Is a DSP really worth the money?

Thanks in advance

·
JMJOHN
1,034 Posts
Rather than starting a new thread, may I request for a suggested bill of materials recommended for installing a budget system (would like to stay under $750 total) on my 2017 Road Glide Special. I am based in India but will buy all the components when I visit the US may be in March end. Considering the distance, and the lack of non Harley dealer mechanics (who will not stray too far from the normal), I would like to keep the system as close to stock fitment as possible. (Willing to do the pod cutting for the Ground Zero and cover with Road Kill Ultimate). Also I need to keep in mind that cops in India are on a rampage against sound. Too loud music will surely attract the wrong kind of attention. Also cannot really look at RF due to the flash needed.

I already have a set of Hogtunes Gen 3 speakers in pods on the tourpak but these are more to cover the gap of the backrest rather than sound. I always ride with a full face helmet, so rear sound really doesn't come through, but I am thinking of a 4 channel amp to power those speakers.

I plan the following:
  • 2 main fairing speakers (either the Ground Zero or Hertz SX 165). Can I re-use the OEM grill or do I fit a new one?
  • 4 ch amp.
  • Stinger Roadkill Ultimate
  • What will be the mounting hardware recommended (amp mounting, speaker adapters? etc.)
  • Cable and/or wiring kits to retain the original harnesses. If I cut the cables, I will have service issues.
    - (already planned the T-Spec V8-AGU 4/8 AWG Fuse Holder and Stinger 2-/4-Channel Universal Amp Wiring Kit)
  • Crossovers, protection, fuses, etc.
  • Is a DSP really worth the money?

Thanks in advance
Devil ,,, do you plan to attend Daytona Bike Week?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Inner FAIRING no. You’ll have to cut a little sliver out of the pod for relief for the magnet. Not a big deal.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I guess I meant pod. I have a set of MMATS but haven’t braved cutting the pod. Guess I will after all. Thanks!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Start small. You truly shouldn’t have more than a 1”x3” rectangle and even that’s big. Just need to find out where the magnet hits and cut a thin slice and move from there

·
Registered
33 Posts
The cutting for the yellow baskets seems scary. I did it slowly, think about it and go slower. It’s super easy and as long as you seal it back up with dynomat you’re all good.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts