Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I try to DYI as much as possible. I know a third the battle of a successful DYI project is having the right tools for the right job. Tools, info, parts. I want to DYI my own welding tasks and I need a good welding helmet. I want to be able to protect my 60 year-old eyes as well as I am able to protect my head when I'm riding...which means I'm not that shy about spending good money for good eye/splash protection. But, I don't want to over-pay for something that will have diminishing returns for the amount paid for this hobbyist. And I'd prefer Made in USA. Hood color doesn't matter, but I'd rather it not weigh a ton. I want to be able to arc weld and mig weld, then later graduate to tig weld. Buy once, cry once. Suggestions from the welders out there, please. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Love the Miller Pro Elite digitals. I have used them for years. I have 2 now.. One at work and one in the garage . My only issue is its a bit heavier than the Speed glass helmets. If your welding for hours it tends to strain the neck. But they all do. I really like the grind mode too. And no more goggles when cutting with the torch. I just use the helmet. Works perfect.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Love the Miller Pro Elite digitals. I have used them for years. I have 2 now.. One at work and one in the garage . My only issue is its a bit heavier than the Speed glass helmets. If your welding for hours it tends to strain the neck. But they all do. I really like the grind mode too. And no more goggles when cutting with the torch. I just use the helmet. Works perfect.
Thanks...I'll read up on it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
You'll read a lot of great reviews of the Miller Elite. I would suggest finding a welding supply shop and trying on/trying out what they have in stock.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've tried the Miller and a few others...just can't bring myself to use 'em. Call me old school or whatever ya want my hood is my hood and has been with me for going on 15 yrs now, it's a bit beat up and had a headgear or two replaced in it but it is lighter and in MY opinion the best hood out there. Save your money on the fancy stuff and stick with an original!!
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Strongly disagree. The Miller Pro Elite digital helmets are 5 he bomb. For years I just used a Hobart. I Thought It Was Fine until I used a good helmet. Twice the viewing area and all the features. Hands down best helmet I've ever used. Buy quality and only buy it once.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As a newbie wannabe welder, my main concerns are (in order of importance) eye protection, skin protection, viewing port size, ergonomics, control features, weight, cost. I know HF has decent helmets for under $100 and I suppose I could go there as I start this new learning adventure. Buy once, cry once. Just trying to get practical feedback from those who do this for a living or have years of experience with quality welding.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Been doing it for 20 years. One more thing to look at is the number of sensors the helmet has. Some have 1 or 2. Most of the top of the lines have 4. They just pick up the arc flash alot faster and at different angles. If you ever use a $100 helmet compared to a $300 helmet you would be amazed at the difference in design (ergonomics) and fitment.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies, suggestions, sharing of experiences. This'll help me decide when it's time to buy. I hope to weld a stack-o-dimes one day...in the meantime I predict welds that look like miniature random lava flows lol. Thanks guys:D

·
Registered
147 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I have a couple old school hoods that work just fine for heavy stick welding outside. But in the shop on more precise welds, grinding and cutting, the Miller Elite is nice. They are a bit pricey and a tad heavy.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I weld all day every day. I use a pipeline 110 P welding hood. And I have an arc one auto shade 11 lens. I do stick, carbon and stainless. And I do tig as well. Carbon and stainless. All that costs about. $160 ish.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts