Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I am about to pull the trigger or my first major set of mods for the RGU, I am gonna do a:
PC-V
TW-222
Fuel moto head pipes, and other supporting mods.
My question is more on the auto tune is it worth the extra money ? also I really want something I can set and leave it, why I wanna go with PC over PV, but would the auto tune be worth extra money to run ? or can Fuel moto get a tune close enough with just the PC with map loaded that I would be ok, this will be it for the engine mods on the bike. I am not gonna go any further. I appreciate any input or suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
12,336 Posts
If you're absolutely sure you're not going to do any more mods, the map will be right on target, and nothing else will change.......don't get auto tune, any doubt.....auto tune it is. IMO I'd go with auto tune.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I got the PV so that I could play with the tunes myself easier than a tts, I got it with a great tune from FuelMoto, and then ran some auto tune runs, it is really simple to do once you get the hang of it, I am seeing a 1-2% change in the VE tables, now its getting hotter I would bet I will see even more of a change.

To sum it up, the PV gives you the ability to have a summer tune, winter tune, spring/fall tune, without much work so I recommend it over a plug and play system, and if you really don't want to use it, don't even mount it to the bars until you want to.

my 2 cents

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
If you are absolutely sure that you are not going to make any more performance mods then a good aftermarket tuner or the SERT from HD will work fine with a good dyno tune. The cost of a good tuner and a dyno tune will be about the same as the cost of a good auto tuner such as Power Vision or Thundermax without the dyno. Remember if you decide on going with a auto tuner you will need head pipes for a 2009 model or a head pipe that has both the 18mm & 12mm bungs for the 02 sensors, the auto tuners require the 18mm 02 bungs.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
The pv basic auto tune uses narrow band (stock sensors)
The Power Vision basic does use the stock 02 sensors but it isn't a true auto tuner. Using the stock 02 sensors the tuner is only capable of tuning the bike to the limitations of the stock HD ECM. The stock HD ECM with stock 02 narrow band 02 sensor can make small adjustment to the tune such as elevation change without a tuner. The PV basic tuner flashes the stock HD ECM and can make small changes that the narrow band 02 sensor will allow, if that tune doesn't work you will need to re flash with a new tune. PV sells the PV pro tuner kit which basically the wires and 18mm wide band 02 sensors which then turns the tuner in a real auto tuner. I have the Thundermax which is a true auto tuner and does not work with the stock ECM so it doesn't just FLASH your ECM like the PV does the T-Max replaces the factory ECM all together. With the mods the OP is doing the PV basic will work fine and then if other changes are made it would be easy to buy and install the PV pro package.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Fuel motos map will get the bike running great, whether you go with a pc-v or pv. If you dont want to tinker, thats should work great. I had a pc-v with their map when I put on the exhausts. This year I added a 222 cams and upgraded to a pv with their map. Bike ran great! But I like to tinker so playing with the auto tune and gauges on the pv is fun. Running a few auto tunes I am seeing increased (slightly) gas mileage and bike runs great. My excuse for upgrading to he pv was the ability to clear and read trouble codes. Last summer on a trip in the ultra heat wave we had in midwest bike thew some codes that killed my speedometer-thus killing cruise. That really sucked on the highway!!

Its really up to how much you want to tinker. I think fuel motos preloaded maps will make you bike run 99 percent perfect. Adding an auto tune will bring it to 100 %. Whether that is even enough of a difference for anyone to notice is probably doubtfull. Either way your gonna notice such an improvement over stock you will be amazed!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Looks like you are basing all your changes around Fuel Moto's products and the Woods 222 cam that they sell. That is a smart way to achieve a good result, rather than mixing a bunch of parts that everyone swears are the best. By using their parts the map you will get from FM will be extraordinarily close if not spot on. The Powervision is by far the better tuning device, hands down.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input, I don't want to tinker with it at all and this is last mods for bike, went mod crazy on my gto not again anytime soon, I was told by fuel Moto that I can use auto tune on a power commander 5, has anyone tried this ? I'm really leaning toward no auto tune just BC I don't wanna mess with it or give me a way to, which knowing me I will start messing with it. So does anyone have any thought with pc-5 and auto tune ? I'm gonna pull trigger on allows on Monday keep them coming.

·
Registered
574 Posts
PC5 and auto tune, same thing.

If you get a setup and they have an existing map, you are all set. If you decide to upgrade the engine later, you can always add auto tune then.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Power Vision is a better route to take, especially if you want to go with autotune pro. PC-V is a piggyback and therefore sits in line with the OEM plug and the ECM, if you go with Autotune Pro, that's another piggy back.

Powervision, you just map it and leave it, or you decide to fiddle with it or need a new map if you make HW changes, very easy. Piggyback tuners work great, but, they do introduce more wiring, more connections and another "ecm" which do take up quite a bit of space.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is the power vision worth the extra 200 bucks, if I am not gonna run auto tune or have additional mods, I am not gonna go any further than cams on the bike why I am going with a set of bolt in cams.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I did the PC5 and auto tune. It's worth every penny IMO.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you dont want to tinker, and want least expensive, get the pc-5 with a map from fuel moto. If you have any problems they can tweak the map for you. Rather than spend the money for auto tune and pc-5, I would just get the power vision with map from fuel moto. Then if you ever have an issue you can run the basic auto tune with the power vision. And I believe you can get the power vision for less than you can the pc-5 with auto tune.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I think it's well worth the extra bucks for the Power Vision. It's simplicity and lack of bulky cabling and knowing I've got the same level of reliability of the ECM as bone stock. The piggy back option introduces complexity and additional failure point. PV has autotune basic which will help you get the base map to a point you are happy with. PCV requires more equipment to do autotune.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I rode today and monitored my engine temp and ve tables at red lights, it helped me see what I could do to add some fuel for the summer to avoid detonation, this is why I went this route, all this with no muss no fuss

·
Registered
574 Posts
Keep in mind, if you don't want to tinker with it and will not do additional mods, skip the auto tune. That was the question. Just to stop the thread from becoming one of the 20 "which one is the best". That will go on and on and you can search that elsewhere on the forum...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts