Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,
I am looking for a solution that is TOTALLY brainless - plug and play, maintenance free and will accomodate any changes I make to my bike (intake exhaust, etc) without having to tell it or remove it to upload new maps, etc.

I've heard mixed reviews on the Terry TV-3 - but in theory it sounds like what I'm looking for in that you plug it in, leave it in, and it 'learns/adjusts' on the fly.

I had a TTS tuner but I don't like that I had to hook it up to a computer every time I added a new part and therefore changed the optimum tune of the bike.

Anybody have any tips here?

Thank you,
Tim

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
I was looking for the same thing, and went with Revolution Performance Tuner. This thing really hasn't missed a beat since start up on the new build.
Give Frank Drago a call, he can give ya the run down on this tuner. I know three of my buds are running it, and all are satisfied customers. It's a little spendy, but IMO ya get what ya pay for. Good luck, and keep us posted on which tuner you decide to run.

Rowdy

·
Registered
73 Posts
From what I've read and gathered from HD mechanics the auto-tuners can overwork the ECM and eventually kill it. The addition of the auto-tuner also voids the warranty in the event that it does overwork the ECM... Which means you're out of pocket for the ECM and flashing should it break. However, some of what I have read has been nothing but rave reviews for how it performs.

Personally, I went with the DynoJet PowerVision and a map from Jamie at Fuel Moto. That way if I have any kind of performance problem, I can just change the map and if the ECM goes out I shouldn't have a real warranty issue with that part.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can definitely appreciate that the auto-tune might not be every bit as cool as the ones where you plug in to a computer and remap, but to be honest I don't need every single drop of Tq and Hp, I just want something that will adjust for my minor intake/exhaust changes without letting my motor sacrifice fuel economy or performance (or life for that matter) by running too lean or rich.

·
Registered
73 Posts
How do you overwork an ECM. The PCV intercepts signals and adds or subtracts fuel.
From what the mechanics told me it has something to do with the tuner constantly re-tuning. It isn't sitting in a closed loop state - I would guess. The way I understand it the auto-tuner constantly relearns every so many miles... I'm no mechanic... Just passing on what I was told by mechanics. Not saying that auto-tuners are bad or anything (b/c I honestly wouldn't know personally), just passing on the warnings I was given by HD mechanics. I heard that same line from several of them.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
If dealer installs the tuner it does not void the warranty. Any OEM upgade the dealer installs is covered. They will only install a SE Tuner which is understandable. They don't cover aftermarket hardware but will cover the installation work.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If dealer installs the tuner it does not void the warranty. Any OEM upgade the dealer installs is covered. They will only install a SE Tuner which is understandable. They don't cover aftermarket hardware but will cover the installation work.
Yup! I was also told this by all but 1 dealer. 1 dealer was willing to install an aftermarket tuner for me, and back up their work with HD. But I don't want the unit that they were willing to install. However, if you have the extended warranty and have HD put the aftermarket (and HD) items on your bike within 60days of bike purchase the extended warranty will cover the parts as well. At least, that is what I was told. But HD (not an indy) MUST install and in many cases order the parts for you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I use the Power Commander V with the Auto Tuner, been happy so far.:cool:
Did you have trouble with the size?? My buddy tried to install a Power Commander on his street glide and there wasn't enough room under the seat for it without risking cracking the unit. I've read that that was a problem with Power Commanders... Or have they made the new V units smaller?

Edit: Google works wonders lol. Yes, the PC-V is less than half the size of the PCIII.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
My dealer ordered and installed Heat Demons when they swapped the bars. They mentioned if the Heated grips burn out they won't warranty them. Of course, they would reorder through the after market manufacturer and reinstall since they sell and installed the part. I don't understand why they mentioned this. Trying to sway me NOT to by after market!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As with all things Harley, I question the source. Of course, I'm not saying I know more than the techs do, but sometimes I wonder if they repeat the company line because it's expected of them.

I've not heard of any tuners frying ECM's...

·
Registered
73 Posts
As with all things Harley, I question the source. Of course, I'm not saying I know more than the techs do, but sometimes I wonder if they repeat the company line because it's expected of them.

Agreed... Company line is company line. But I heard that same story from 3 separate dealer mechanics. Of course, they could be repeating the mantra. But it was enough to get me to second guess it and go with mapping instead. Still wasn't enough to make me pay a ton of $$$ to have them do it for me, though. lol.

I've seen 2 PCs cause ECMs to get jacked up. Or at least, that was the diagnosis.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I got some simply amazing comments from the "dyno guy" at the local
dealership. I was really surprised because it showed just how much he
didn't know about anything outside HD tuning products. Instead of simply
saying "I don't know" he fabricated all kinds of ills to befall me should
I stray from HD brand tuners.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The PCV is much smaller, I had no problem installing it or the box for the auto-tuner. Look everything you add can potentially void your warranty. I have been a mechanic all my life, I've heard and seen some strange things happen. I pick my products carefully, do a clean install, and know that it is possible if I'm away from my home dealer and break down I might be SOL. You roll your dice and take your change.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you have trouble with the size?? My buddy tried to install a Power Commander on his street glide and there wasn't enough room under the seat for it without risking cracking the unit. I've read that that was a problem with Power Commanders... Or have they made the new V units smaller?
I have my PCV under my right side panel and when I had the Autotune on I had the modules under the left panel. On a touring model you don't need to put it under the seat. Plenty of room elsewhere.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Autotune on '11 Glide custom

The only problem there is with this, is that if you're running stock exhaust pipes then you have 12mm O2 sensor bungs, but the Autotune comes with the 18mm O2 sensors! There are adapters, but I've been told that they won't work as the O2 sensor will not be in the direct path of the exhaust fumes, including the fact that carbon will eventually build up in the adapters causing faulty readings. Really wish they could come up with the wide band O2 sensors in a 12mm plug-n-play size, rather than claim that their product is '08~ Touring compatible, when in reality you have to weld in some compatible 02 bungs! Bogus in my opinion, which leaves me running only a PCV with map! Anyone else have this problem, or found a solution to this for the Autotune module issue, outside of adding new exhaust?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought the fuelmoto headers which had both 12mm and 18mm bungs so I now run both narrow and wide sensors.

I had a wire pull out of one of the 4 wire canbus going to the pcv and it disabled the
auto tune. So I called a local Dynojet seller and asked if he any replacements
in stock. (they also have a dyno) He said the guys that trained them on the DynoJet Dyno told him to not sell the auto tuner to anyone. They claimed it
did not work (ya right) so do not stock or sell it. I wonder what Dynojet central thinks of that policy ? Guess it wouldn't do for a customer to do his own tuning ? This is a different outfit than my earlier post above.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Look into Revolution Performance ems. It's as simple as that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts