Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 09 almost 3 years ago and the dealer installed a new front tire. Bike had 1040 miles on it. Dropped the bike off at my Indy tuesday morning and got it back wednesday evening, Bike had 17,100 miles. Back tire was done, cracks in the tread, cupped. Had new bearings put in front and back along with the Cobras front and back.

At this point Im sure any new tire would feel and ride better then what was taking off. The Cobras ride super smooth, and handle really nice. So far so good.

To the guys running this tire, what pressure are you running?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Talked with a rep from Avon a few years back and these were his recommendations.
Solo: Front 38-40, Back 44 PSI
2-Up Light: Front 40-41, Back 46 PSI
2 Up Heavy: Front 42-43, Back 48-50 PSI
Each example can go a pound or two either way as you see fit! Hope this helps.Or give them a call, very friendly and helpful folks.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Appreciate it. Mostly 2 up light. Pressure is set right inline with your numbers

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took the bike out for 122 mile ride today. The new Avons performed awesome. The ride we went on has a lot of turns, some pretty tight. Big thing I noticed compared to the stock tires, that were wore out, is that in the corner they hold they line. Old tires made it impossible to do that. If I get decent milage out of them I will be buying another set when these are done

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Avon tires are great tires. Only down fall is they wear quick due to their softer compound.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I only run Avons on my Road Glide, which is a 2006 (I've owned it since it was new). Started out with the Avon Venoms, which were replaced by the Cobra. Best tire I have ever used! I live in South Florida, where the road surfaces are horrible, and they seem to wear quickly. But they are well worth the money! Great handling and a smooth ride too! A milestone advantage over Dunlops!

·
Registered
19 Posts
That's what I run on my Warrior, 36PSI front (130-AV71), 42PSI rear (250-AV72).

I really like the handling and the overall performance

·
Registered
47 Posts
I run Avon's front and rear on my 2011 SG, was out in Sturgis in 15 and had to put new shoes on so I went with them as the price was fair. I haven't had any issue with accelerated wear at all. Will be putting Avon's on my 2008 RG during my build.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had Avon Venoms on my old 03 RK and found that they really have great traction and perform great in turns. Avons tire profile is a little more elliptical than other brands which are a round profile. Their theory is a more elliptical profile allows for a larger contact patch area touching the road surface on the leaning turns. They also put a slightly softer compound in that sidewall area which attributes to the tire's great traction. The very noticeable difference I felt between the original Dunlops and the Avons was the ease in turning into curves and turns. It was as though the Avon's took much less pressure on the handlebars to execute a turn. The harder compound on the center of the tire does provide fairly good mileage, much better than the original Dunlops.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts