Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of BRAND NEW AVON SS FLY grips for sale. They work with TBW bikes.

I bought them this spring, but didn't get them to work correctly on my aftermarket bars (throttle side was a little to tight and didn't "snap back" fast enough for my liking). I contacted AVON customer support - they were awesome. Sent me a replacement throttle side grip - same deal. Must be something funky with my bars. Maybe slightly out of round? I don't know. I really liked the look and feel of these grips, but didn't want to screw around sanding my bars to get them to fit properly. I know people rave about these grips and I was looking forward to using them.

I can return them to the store if I pay shipping and 20% restocking fee (did not buy direct from AVON). So, thought I'd offer them up here and see if we could both win.

How about $45 and I'll cover shipping? PM me if interested.

Cheers,
Gary

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Still available! Someone should enjoy these really nice grips!
G

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
So you found a problem with these grips and now you're trying to re sell a poor quality part? :confused: Specially one that doesn't let the throttle snap back to zero, maybe someone without cruise control would be interested lol. :D But seriously I wouldn't even offer these for sale myself for liability issues that you clearly state that these grips have and if someone buys them could cause an accident if the throttle doesn't snap off immediately like it's suppose too. :eek:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you found a problem with these grips and now you're trying to re sell a poor quality part? :confused: Specially one that doesn't let the throttle snap back to zero, maybe someone without cruise control would be interested lol. :D But seriously I wouldn't even offer these for sale myself for liability issues that you clearly state that these grips have and if someone buys them could cause an accident if the throttle doesn't snap off immediately like it's suppose too. :eek:
I think you misunderstood. The issue is not with the grips, it is with the fitment to my aftermarket bars. I had suspected a problem with the grips since they were the new component. I called AVON support and they gladly sent a replacement throttle side grip. Unfortunately, I had the same issue with the replacement grip. Hence - the issue is with my bars, not with the grips.

AVON would not be in business if their parts didn't work. I certainly wouldn't try to sell a part that I thought would endanger anyone. These simply did not work for me due to an issue with my aftermarket bars. I went back to HD grips because they're made with a wider tolerance. These grips are made with tighter tolerances than the HD grips to reduce the slop you feel in factory throttle grips (you can rattle them around quite easily). Unfortunately, that caused me a fitment issue due to an out of round condition with my aftermarket bars.

These are not defective in any way, shape or form. I'm not trying to pass off bad parts here. I have personally met quite a number of forum members and would not want to harm anyone. The reason I gave the detail that I did in my post was to inform others why I'm not keeping them. I could have said nothing! I want others here to have full disclosure on why they didn't work for me so they can learn from my experience. I'm sure we can easily drum up support for AVON grips on the forum. Lots of folks use them and are thrilled with the product - that's why I bought them.

Cheers,
G

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
OOOOOOOOOOH, gotcha now, well why didn't you say that in the first place lol. I'm apologize for misunderstanding there lol, I'll pass these along to a buddy who's looking for grips for his bagger.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had a similar problem with Avon grips on my RGU. They were on the bike when I bought it with Stock Handlebars and worked fine. The day before I left for a trip I switched the bars for a set of Wild 1's 508. I soon ddiscovered that the throttle siide was tight and binding, it would not return to the closed position without actually twisting tthe grip back. It was hard to shift smoothly, etc. On the road I tried to lubricaate it, no change, tried some sand paper on a dowel on the inside of the grip, no change. I stopped at a Harley dealer on the road and asked about it. They said they had not seen the problem and offerred to sell me another set of Avon grips. Instead I asked them if they had a take off OEM thrrottle side, which they did, and they gave it to me. A quck change in the parking lot and the OEM grip worked perfectly. I think the diameter of the 508's was a tiny bit larger, or the chrome was thicker, it is certainly nicer than the OEM bars. When I got back home I did a little searching and found some similar comments from other owner. I called Avon and told them about the problem and they had me retrun the one grip and sent me a new throttle side grip. The new grip works fine in the 508's. So I think it is just manufacturing tolorances on the bars and grips. You might want to talk to them and get a replacement grip, it might solve the problem. Hopefully they are now more aware of the problem and have addressed the problem. The return spring in the TBW is not that strong.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had the same problem with my Avon grips on my bars but my bars ate powder coated alil grinding sanding and they now tge grips work awesome

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
I have avon's on my bike and are fine. Wild thing though, one morning, temperature in the 30's, the throttle would not snap back. But when the temperature warmed up, it worked fine. Snapped back fine. Weird....

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sold

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I had the same issue but all you really need is to buy some of the graphite powder and shoot some in there. works good. I think it's whatever material they use that touches the bars is what makes it stick. I least to me, that's what I think.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts