Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running the Cobra 19" front and 16" rear combo on their Rushmore, any feedback good or bad? My Glide will soon be leaving the nest to rain down it's D & D Fatcat harmony amongst my suburban folk as the weather here is working it's way to Summer. I have been thinking the tires are something I want to replace sometime sooner than later this season. If I am not mistaken, the 19" Avon is a fairly new offering and have not seen any reviews on it so I was curious who has some experience. Thanks peeps!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I have an update for anyone who may be following or interested. The Avons were purchased and installed a couple of weeks ago. I purchased them through rockymountainatv.com mailorder for one helluva deal and a $40 instant rebate from Avon. Got them installed and put RideOn balancer and sealant in them along with some new All Balls bearings front and rear. Throughout the last 7 days I have been riding the scooter while scratching my head. The bike rides ok, but I lost that feeling of stability. I kept putting miles on it thinking it may just be because it's a different rubber than the stock stuff and I am overthinking it. I have talked to enough people including dealers about Ride On so I was confident in that product and that it was not an issue. They all said positive things. Finally after riding to work today and blasting down the highway with no feeling of surefootedness I decided to put it on the lift when I got home and start going over the bike. Behold, the tire is not even round and I can only imagine what happens to it after being ridden for a long period of time at full temp. I contacted the company I purchased them from for warranty so hopefully I get this worked out as they have already been sent a video of the tire spinning in a very "non smooth" rotation. Potentailly this may take some time and possibly dig into my riding time. I never thought this was going to be the outcome of saving a few bucks but now it's the elephant in the room. I may have learned a lesson here. Thanks for listening (reading), this has me a little pissed off right now and I had to vent.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I wasn’t aware Avon had finally come out with a 130/60-19 for the front of a bagger. They make a killer tire, and would be surprised if there was a manufacture related issue. I’ve never tried ride-on, personally, or know anyone that had. The only references I’ve seen are on forums like these. Honestly it seems a little far fetched for my simple understanding of physics though. I hope something good comes your way and something gets figured out though!

·
Super Moderator
12,295 Posts
I’ve been through a few different brands, ended up back with Dunlop, best mileage and all around performance for me.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I have to remove the tire to send back so they can have a looksie and make a decision on what the outcome will be. At least they are sending me a shipping label. So far I have to pay for the dismount and remount, but I am hopeful that the cost can be refunded as well. Time will tell. I thought about going back to Dunlops like @dbell66253 brought up that he ended up doing, but I can't get over the poor wet traction I have had with them. Could just be my experience and I may soon discover that the Avons could possibly do the same but at least I will get to test a different tire. Thanks

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
every tire warranty that i've read specifically states that the cost of mounting and balancing is on you. also, seen several that mention that adding anything like ride-on (not specifically mentioned by name) will void the warranty. so hope that doesn't end up being a show stopper.

i was looking forward to trying these tires out on my bike now that they've got them in the cvo 18 rear, 19 front sizes. may have to wait until there is more info out on them.

i can tell you that the american elites are very nice tires though. got over 20,000 on this set, and will likely get at least another 5,000.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I ran Cobras on my 2012. I get them installed on my 2015 this Friday since it was time to replace the Dunlops. If I throw in the Cobras on the bobber I started out with you can say that I have had Cobras on every bike I owned.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Following this thread. I've run Avon Venom/Cobra's on my wide glide since the stock dunlop's. Noticeable improvement in handling/responsiveness. Figured that would be the choice on my '18 RGS, when it came time.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To complete my story, getting the defective tire taken care of under warranty seemed like it was going to take some time as the tire had to be sent back to the company and then they had to send it back to Avon for evaluation before another tire could be issued. I placed an order with J&P cycles for a new front and had it in no time flat, had the tires swapped out and instead of Ride on this time I went with wheel weights. Cleaned the inside of the defective tire, sent it back and got the run around for a week after they received it. Kept getting a "we'll call you back, what's a good time"? My phone never rang but another week later I got a refund plus a few bucks, not gonna argue with that. Needless to say the Avons are running out real nice and I even upgraded the front brakes to a Galfer setup. The rear Galfer pads just showed up today so it should only be a day before I get those on.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I run Avon Cobras on my 2015 and ran them on my 2012. Both were conventionally balanced. I have had problems with neither bike. In my opinion they stick like glue. I doubt I will ever replace them with anything other than Avons.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
I love the Avon Cobras I put on my 2018 Fat Bob as far as ride and they really stick to the road but they are not going to get the mileage that a harder tire will get. I guess some things are a trade off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I have always had great luck with Avon Tires. They stick to the pavement and are also good in the rain.
I have also used Ride-On with no problems.
The only drawback with Avon’s is they wear out faster then others.
The last tire change I decided to go with the Michelin Commander II’s based on all the great reviews here. Although I do like them I think next year I’ll be going back to Avon’s.
I always mount and balance my own tires and have found Riders Domain, formerly Jake Wilson, to have the best prices.
Mike U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have used Avons ever since I have owned my bike. Years ago, it was Venoms, now it's the Cobras. Good all around tire!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts