Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So here's my story; Have a 2013 RGU, didn't like the wheels with all the "spokes" couldn't hardly put air in them. So I bought a pair of 2012 Street Glide wheels, Black mags with five big "spokes", only difference is the front wheel is 18" instead of 17" for stock...

So I get new Dunlops (last set lasted 16,700 miles and still had tread left). Put the wheels on, check everything twice, rear retainer nut to 100 ft lbs of torque and put clip on...yes belt was adjusted and about 3/8" of play/slack.

Road the bike two days, a total of maybe 50 miles (coffee and back), today I go to leave the coffee shop and the bike sounds like it's going to blow or had blown up...hell of a racket...

I pull over, park and the belt is hanging down, maybe an inch, inch and a half.....WTF!! I call my bud (still at the shop) and the guy who put the wheels on....he comes over...WTF??? park bike, go get tools and readjust belt.... Axle bolt is loose, if the retainer clip hadn't been there it might of come off.

So get it home, remove wheel, check spacers, ABS sensor, everything....re torque, both check wrench.....put on clip, muffler, bags etc....ride around the block all is well.......

Question, Anyone EVER have this happen before??? the wheels are both ABS, only difference is 17 frt/ 16 back (stock) to 18 frt/ 16 back......Comments please.... CSM-H

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
Make sure there is no Anti-Seize or Grease on the Rear Cam/Adjuster Washers. There should only be Anti-Seize on the Backside of the Axle Nut (between it and the Washer only) and the Axle itself. If it gets between the Washer(s) and Swing Arm it can loosen up even if it is torqued to 100 ft. lbs.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rear Axle...

Triplej, you may be on to something....we did "lube" the shaft with anti-seize...as the bike is back together now could I spray the outside of the shaft with some "brake" Klean or over cleaner??? Just a thought. thanks, CSM-H

Make sure there is no Anti-Seize or Grease on the Rear Cam/Adjuster Washers. There should only be Anti-Seize on the Backside of the Axle Nut (between it and the Washer only) and the Axle itself. If it gets between the Washer(s) and Swing Arm it can loosen up even if it is torqued to 100 ft. lbs.

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
Triplej, you may be on to something....we did "lube" the shaft with anti-seize...as the bike is back together now could I spray the outside of the shaft with some "brake" Klean or over cleaner??? Just a thought. thanks, CSM-H
If it were me I would pull the axle and washers off. Clean both then slide the left side cam/washer on before carefully applying the Anti-Seize on the shaft w/o getting any on the cam/washer, slide the Axle thru then place the other clean cam/washer. Lightly lube the back side of the nut then reinstall and torque it down.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks got it....will do tomorrow.... On another note...what kind of number you end up with on the TW-222 (HP/TQ) and mileage. thanks, CSM-H

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
I just use a little wheel bearing grease on the axles and never had any problems. You can over anti-seize or grease the axles.

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
Thanks got it....will do tomorrow.... On another note...what kind of number you end up with on the TW-222 (HP/TQ) and mileage. thanks, CSM-H
Only Dyno my bike has been on is the butt Dyno :) but I am very happy with the power.

I don't keep up with my mileage like I should - between my work mileage and personal it's to much to keep up with.

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
ironmark, did you mean to say; you CANNOT over anti-seize????
No I meant that you can over anti-seize or put too much anti-seize on a part. It usually won't hurt much of anything but it will make a mess. In the case of the axle adjusters you want a friction fit so you don't want anti-seize or grease on the adjusters.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Axle nut...

Ironmark, thanks for the clarification, got it.....going to take it for a ride tomorrow and ensure it's still tight... Hey on another note, I see you too have the TW-222 cams, how do you like them, HP/TQ numbers and MPG after change? thanks, CSM-H

No I meant that you can over anti-seize or put too much anti-seize on a part. It usually won't hurt much of anything but it will make a mess. In the case of the axle adjusters you want a friction fit so you don't want anti-seize or grease on the adjusters.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts