Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woke up yesterday morning in Moab, Utah. Got home in Austin, Tx today- 1080 miles in a day and a half.

We cut the trip short by 2 days. Despite the amazing beauty of the areas we went to, especially YNP, too many bad things occurred. One, two or even 3 of the things I'll list would have been shrugged off. Combining everything together and the trip just had a very uncomfortable feel.

I had planned this to be my annual solo biggun. I invited a friend along this time. As superstitious as I am I can't help but wonder. If it was her...

I had 4 close calls with the grim reaper. 2 were with pickup trucks and 2 with 18 wheelers. 2 of these were very VERY close, the other 2 were just plain close. Thankfully, my quick and alert reactions averted catastrophe.

We rode through 50 mph winds in New Mexico, came to find out later there were wild fires driving the winds. It got worse in Arizone on Saturday, 26 May. A sandstorm blowing from the south with 70+ mph winds took paint and chrome off of my RGU and her brand new (1,000 miles on it) Heritage. This went on for over 100 miles, from the 4 corners area all the way to the mountain pass up to Page. A week later while over nighting at the Moab KOA, we were told that they got the same storm, it lasted 2 days there and blew trees down. Took them all week to clean up from all of the sand. They were some 90 miles north of us as we rode west on US 64. We skipped Monument Valley due to the intolerable conditions. Not sure if it even exists any more, it may have all eroded away from the storm.

My MP3 took a dump. No tunes for about half of my 4800 miles. My Zumo 550 decided to erase all of my routes, favorites and all other stored info. I lost my cig lighter and replaced it with a car lighter and it blew a fuse that took out several functions. The wind caught my tourpak lid while I had it propped about 1/4 way open, flipped it open and the tether broke. And it snapped the fiberglass where the forward hinge is. Duct tape looks great on a $27k motorcycle! But I'm glad I had it with me to hold the sumbitch together the rest of the trip.

And oh yeah, I came down with an upper respiratory infection that 12 days later I'm still not over. Felt the tickle in my throat 30 minutes after leaving home. By the end of day one I was hacking and coughing myself dizzy. The sand storm did nothing to help, either.

On the bright side, we had no rain. We rode some fabulous roads, including one of my favorites, Utah hwy 128 between Cisco and Moab.

Our 4 days in Yosemite were fabulous. Hwy 120, aka Tioga Pass, from Benton Cal all the way to the park is GREEEEEAT! One section is roller coaster for a few miles and at 85 mph I got negative G's a couple of times- and one huge grin on my face.

We rode every road in the park and they're seemingly built for a motorcycle. 45 mph speed limits are kind of like the Blue Ridge Parkway. 45 feels like 70 on them.

We ventured out of the park and went to Bishop. Ate at the Schat's Bakkery- definitely worth the day trip. Rode the June Lake scenic loop and wow what a spectacular ride that was. Whoever recommended that to me, if you're reading this THANK YOU for the tip.

We rode the ET Highway and I put a bumper sticker on the sign. Thanks Nevada Sun for helping me know where to find the sign. Saw Area 51 and the Little AleInn. Almost ran out of gas out there, too- we were 10 miles from Rachel and realized we wouldn't make it to a gas station. We limped back to Alamo, Nv at 50 mph and got gas before repeating the route. My 6 gallon tank took 4.9 gallons and her 5 gal tank took 4.8.

We rode through Zion NP and also Arches. We rode The Lonliest Road in America aka US 50 between Ely, Nv and Cisco, Utah (most of the Utah leg is a part of I-70). Speaking of I-70, I don't know if I've ever seen a stretch of interstate as stunning as 70, beginning about 50 miles west of Green River and all the way to.

I'm going to rest up a day or 2 and see about filing a claim to get all the shit on the bike repaired.

I want a mulligan!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got a lot of pics and I'd like to share them. After I get rested up I'll load em up and learn how to post on here, or maybe get a snapfish or photobucket album and post the link.

I'm also on Facebook, we posted a bunch on there from our cell phones. If you're interested in taking that route PM me and we can get friended on there.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Ya made it out there and back in one piece. Glad you and your friend ended up having a good trip.

Lookin forward to the pics.

Rowdy

·
Super Moderator
2,870 Posts
Holy crap! What a series of bummers! A lesser man would have given up. Give it a few years and the stories will take on a life of their own. I'm PMing, 'cause I wanna see the shots. (plus you'll double my number of FB friends):)

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Glad to hear you made it back okay. Sucks that things didn't go off without a hitch but sounds like there was plenty of good to go around. Looking forward to seeing the pics of Yosemite.

RT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts