Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Heading north Marion VA to ride the "Back of the Dragon" to Tazewell VA. Anyone else ever made this ride? They say three mountains and twisties all the way...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I rode it twice this year....Ride UP is the best part as the road is better than the back 1/2 (IMO). When you reach the top of the first MT there is a pull off to the left.........just be careful......pretty steep drop off road onto pull off and it's a blind corner.......
It may be better now, but going down it's mainly 15mph curves & there was a lot of gravel in the right handers back in July (had just had several days of storms).

Still a nice fun road......

·
Registered
242 Posts
We rode it in early June. Agree with the gravel warning. A lot of it was pretty freshly paved - but a lot of junk in the road. Much more fun in my opinion than riding The Dragon because it's a lot longer, and there was no traffic at all.

There are some places where you have to make sure you stay on VA-16. We lost a guy who ended up a long way from where we were when he missed a turn. Study the route or use a GPS.

Give me a minute, and I'll post a link to a YouTube video of some of it.

Enjoy, by the way.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I rode it twice this year as well. Once on my BMW (which I traded in for my HD) and then on my RGC. What a beautiful road, but both times there was a lot of gravel in the corners. There is one spot closer to Tazewell where the view is spectacular.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Looks like a really fun drive. If you like this you really need to come to Colorado. Anywhere west of Denver for about 5 miles is just like this. Many times you will elevate to 12,000 feet and be looking down 5,000 feet!

·
Registered
860 Posts
Heading north Marion VA to ride the "Back of the Dragon" to Tazewell VA. Anyone else ever made this ride? They say three mountains and twisties all the way...

While you're at it, plan your route to ride the "Diamondback" near Little Switzerland, NC, then head up to the "Snake" between Mountain City, NC and Bristol, TN, then finish with the "Back of the Dragon" between Marion and Tazewell, VA. We did this a couple years ago and it was great!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts