Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
started up my bike today and my engine and battery light came on. the voltage showed 12 on my instrument cluster. As I rode about 10 miles the voltage dropped to 11 then 10, the bike however ran fine. got home turned the bike off then tried to restart the bike.....barely turned over - did not start. waited 2 hours tried again, almost started. I am thinking bad battery but just wondering if it could be something ( voltage regular etc.) else before I pick up a new one. bike and battery are 2 years old.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 2012's had a regulator recall. I'd check to see if yours was replaced.
mine was replaced after 25 miles...have about 10k on the bike now, hoping this VR is good.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I have kept all my bikes on Battery Tenders over the years and never had to change out a battery, even after 6+ years on one. You could have a battery issue...should be simple enough to test.

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
It sounds more like a charging issue than a battery issue and you were running off the battery voltage. That is why the constant drop in voltage as you rode.
If the bike was charging you most likely would not have seen such a drastic drop on the bikes voltage after it was running.

Check for DTCs and have the bikes charging system checked as well as having the battery load tested after it is fully charged and go from there.

Sometimes it's as simple as a loose/corroded cable.

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
Your voltage regulator may have been changed already but it sounds like it needs to be changed again.

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
Classic symptoms of a stator problem. Thats what my bike did, it would start out at 12v or around there when cold but as I rode the bike and the stator warmed up the voltage would drop to around 10v. I am still running the original VR on my 08 and the stator was the only problem I had with the charging system.
Pull the derby cover if you smell a burnt wire smell than your stator is going bad.
I wouldn't ride the bike very far because the bike will only run so far on just the battery and if the battery is drained you will be looking for a tow.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info guys......charging the battery right now and I will test it once fully charged. I will pull the derby cover off next - to check for the "smell" and go from there.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Don't go by the gauge on the dash. Mine reads 15 1/2 sometimes 14 sometimes. When it read 15 1/2 I got nervous and read the battery with a multimeter and it was 14.1 running.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
battery checked out perfect...took derby cover off to check for burned stator smell but no bad smell at all. I guess that leaves me with the voltage regulator or a bad connection. I tightened all my battery connection and started the bike. the gauge showed slightly above 14....i guess I go for a short ride. need to figure out how to check a voltage regulator. Also I wonder if it could have anything to do with installing my 300W hogwire amp 1 month ago.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
had the DTC codes checked...showed high and low voltage, had my charging system checked - bad voltage regular again !! 1 hour later back on the road again.....hope this will be the end of it.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Glad you got it figured out. Due to all the VR issues, I keep a close eye on guage, been lucky so far no issues.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts