Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here it goes I was on a ride today on my way home I start to sloww down coming into town engine gets to around 1800 down to about 1500 rpm and everthing vibrates bad. I tried different gears different speeds and the same thing. Slowed down up hill down hill and on the flat same bad vibration. So if anybody has had this or may have a place to start to look I am all ears . Thankyou for your imput I am sure you all will have some.:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
When you say vibrating on decel, are you talking about a wobble as you slow down and let go, or loosen your grip on the bars between 35-40 mph? You mention different speeds, does it do it when you accelerate, or just decel? 1500-1800 is really low in the RPM range, are you slowing waaay down,and then rolling on the throttle before you downshift.
Sorry for all the questions, but more info is a good thing.

Rowdy

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you say vibrating on decel, are you talking about a wobble as you slow down and let go, or loosen your grip on the bars between 35-40 mph? You mention different speeds, does it do it when you accelerate, or just decel? 1500-1800 is really low in the RPM range, are you slowing waaay down,and then rolling on the throttle before you downshift.
Sorry for all the questions, but more info is a good thing.

Rowdy
When I am just letting the bike slow down when it gets to 1800 everything starts to vibrate handlebars floorboards engine everything. Then when I downshift rpms go up of course but then as soon as they come back to 1800 vibration just like if you were running over a rumble strip that kinda vibrate.I also notice when accellerate in even first gear the bike has a vibration up to about 1800ish then clears right up.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Depending on what year it could be your front motor mount that is broken.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It is an 05.
Ok! Then you have the "old" frame and also the "old" motor mount setup. If you haven't changed the mount recently I suggest you check it. Sometimes you have to remove it to see the status of the mount.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok! Then you have the "old" frame and also the "old" motor mount setup. If you haven't changed the mount recently I suggest you check it. Sometimes you have to remove it to see the status of the mount.
Ok thanks it is a place to start. I am open to any other suggestions.

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
Ok thanks it is a place to start. I am open to any other suggestions.
Thats pretty much what a front broken mount feels like . I break them a lot on my FXR.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Checked mount seems good now ????

Thanks all but I have taken the front mount off and looked at it and can not see anything wrong with it. The only thing was that the bolt going through it was like a 5/16 bolt so I replaced it with a 1/2" bolt. I also changed all the fluids they seemed clean no nothing on the magnets. Check the primary chain tention was within the tolerance the book says. So now what ????

·
Registered
593 Posts
vibration

I had (just got a 2011) a 2005 RG and when I would accelerate I would get a nasty vibration from 1500 to 1800 RPM.Could not find anything wrong and one day found on this forum guys talking about thier fairings having holes in them. It dawned on me that I had ground down my radio bracket because it was wearing slots in my outer fairing. What I didn' t do was put a piece of rubber on top of the brackets so there no stiffener to hold the outer fairing. Once I put 1/4" tubing on the brackets, no more vibration.Took me 4 months to figure out.Thank god for this forum. Pull your outer fairing off and check if you haven't already.

·
Registered
593 Posts
vibration

PS on my last post, I changed the front motor mount also,needless to say, that wasn't the problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had (just got a 2011) a 2005 RG and when I would accelerate I would get a nasty vibration from 1500 to 1800 RPM.Could not find anything wrong and one day found on this forum guys talking about thier fairings having holes in them. It dawned on me that I had ground down my radio bracket because it was wearing slots in my outer fairing. What I didn' t do was put a piece of rubber on top of the brackets so there no stiffener to hold the outer fairing. Once I put 1/4" tubing on the brackets, no more vibration.Took me 4 months to figure out.Thank god for this forum. Pull your outer fairing off and check if you haven't already.
I will check thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts