Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went out the other day and while cruising through town, the radio turned off and when i looked down, i noticed voltage was at 16+. completly pegged. I pulled over and radio came back on, voltage normal. I continued on and then battery light and check engine light came on. Voltage at 11ish. Any ideas which part of my charging system is causing this. My suspisions are VR, but not positive. Bike is an '11 FLTRX w/ 26k.
GK

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I recently had to replace my VR and these were my symptoms.

Voltage meter would drop to about 11 and battery & check engine light would come on. After about 10-15 the volt meter would then go back up to normal readings. it did this about 3 times.

I'm betting its the VR. I have had to replace two of them already.

But a couple of things to keep in mind is make sure you check your battery too especially if your charging system spiked up that high. (edit, this is to make sure it didn't get over charged at some point)

You Stator should generate about 26-27 volts when the bike is running and your VR is supposed to correct that so the sudden spike and dropping of volts indicates your VR might be shot.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
If your voltage is too high it is probably the regulator as it regulates the amount of voltage that gets through thus too much voltage the regulator is not doing it's job.

Drew

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I agree, probably the VR, but I'd cover all the bases here.

- Take your battery out (check your connections while you're in there, of course), take it to an auto parts store and have it load tested.

- Check the voltage being produced by your stator/rotor. Should be somewhere around 18-22VAC per 1000rpm if I recall.

- Do some static checks on your VR. Just google 'how to check harley charging system' and you'll find a procedure.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Same thing on my 13 RGC. Got the regulator and stator replaced under warranty. Last week my buddy had the same thing on his 13 RGC. Regulator only. MOCO needs to get off the Chinese crap electronics!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Had the same issue with my '12 two weeks ago. Battery and check engine lights came on. In the morning I had a low voltage issue and later that same day I had an overcharge. Both conditions produced erratic behavior from the bike accessories. DTC codes all read high and low voltage problems. (Don't remember off the top of my head, but have them written down if you need them) Having high and low issues is a lack of being regulated. Pulled my regulator off and could smell that it was smoked. Mentioned the problem to my local dealer and they firmly said they agreed. So I purchased the new regulator with a hefty price tag and reinstalled. The bike was fixed and the gauge was rock solid. Also if it is a '12, it may be under warranty possibly. They had a recall for this in early '12 that only a certain run of production #'s fell into. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
The other thing to check is open your derby cover and if it smells burnt the stator is toast. You can test at the plugs with a meter but I had a similar issue (only with low voltage) and both the stator and regulator were replaced under warranty.

Drew

·
Registered
76 Posts
It makes sense that the VR might be the problem, it limits current from the stator/rotor, so if it was high at 16 then low at 11 means it should be the VR. While you have it apart check the stator/rotor, my 07 requires 16 to 20 at 1,000 rpm, this reading should double every 1,000 rpms. Also make sure your battery returns to a full charge, HD has a high standard for their batteries, I think 12.85 is a full charge.

·
Registered
330 Posts
went out the other day and while cruising through town, the radio turned off and when i looked down, i noticed voltage was at 16+. completly pegged. I pulled over and radio came back on, voltage normal. I continued on and then battery light and check engine light came on. Voltage at 11ish. Any ideas which part of my charging system is causing this. My suspisions are VR, but not positive. Bike is an '11 FLTRX w/ 26k.
GK
Everything you described is exact symptoms I had. Was the VR. Hope that helps

·
Registered
508 Posts
Same symptoms as on mine also. Was the VR , I am on my 3rd regulator since 2012 !!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Voltage Regulator

Am not sure what is up with mine. At idle, my volts on gauge drops down to about 11-13 when sitting still. once I give it gas, it comes back up to 14ish. I have had the engine light come on once in a while, but not pulling any codes that are volts related. just replaced battery as it was completely drained and wouldn't charge. After replacing, bikes starts right up with no issues and it seems to be ok, but gauge still drops down between 11-12 at idle. by the way mine is 12 RGC.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
That sounds exactly like your voltage regulator. had the exact same symptons happen to me both times I've had to replace mine.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sounds like similar symptoms with my 2012 FLTRU. Engine and battery lights came on and the volts were not consistent. Ended up replacing the volt regulator, compensator and stator. Smell was awful when you popped the primary cover. Luckily, I had the extended service plan. Cost me $50.00.

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
Am not sure what is up with mine. At idle, my volts on gauge drops down to about 11-13 when sitting still. once I give it gas, it comes back up to 14ish. I have had the engine light come on once in a while, but not pulling any codes that are volts related. just replaced battery as it was completely drained and wouldn't charge. After replacing, bikes starts right up with no issues and it seems to be ok, but gauge still drops down between 11-12 at idle. by the way mine is 12 RGC.
This is normal!! When the bike is idling the volts will read lower and increase when the RPMs increase. As the stator wears it may also put out a slightly lower voltage causing lower voltage at idle. Also on some tuners you can lower the idle RPMs which will also reduce the stator voltage at idle.
If a stator is going bad the bike will have normal voltage readings at startup but as the engine warms up (about 10 minutes) the voltage will drop below 12 volts sometimes reading 10 or 11 volts. If this happens head for the house because the bike will not run on the battery for long.
A bad VR will have high and low voltage readings while a bad stator will show a steady voltage drop.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Guess I can join the club also as my engine/battery light came on 3 times in the last 2 weeks. I've noticed the bike seems to struggle on start up, but it hasn't let me down yet. Prior to all of this, I've been cruising down the road and smelt wires burning, but found nothing. My 30K service is next week, so I'll get them to look at the VR, stator, and battery then.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts