Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all this bag clip recall nonsense, I've been thinking I will just go ahead and purchase some bag bolts to securely lock my bags on. Just as a piece of mind thing.

Is there really any difference between the kits out there (aside from price)?

BAGGER BOLTS

Secures Harley Touring Bike Saddlebags from being Stolen or Flying Off while traveling down the road.

https://www.baggerstds.com/stds.html

I really feel if I knew where to get the clips I could just build my own set from the local hardware store. Have a hard time paying $30+Shipping/handling for something I know costs >$5.

Thoughts...?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its a recall, so wouldnt the dealer put them on for you for free?
Replacement pins yes, not these. But being that they just recalled the recall... Spending a few dollars for a more solid piece of mind is not an issue for me.

·
Registered
2020 Limited.
500 Posts
I bet if you went to Fastenal or a bolt specialty shop you can get parts hardened bolts are no big deal and the CClip or whatever5 they call the nuts should be the same way easy to find may have to special order them.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I bet if you went to Fastenal or a bolt specialty shop you can get parts hardened bolts are no big deal and the CClip or whatever5 they call the nuts should be the same way easy to find may have to special order them.

A good hardware store or Home Depot should have the U-clips, also from McMaster-Carr McMaster-Carr
You can buy enough clips to do 6 bikes for less than $15.

Take your pick of knobs......
McMaster-Carr

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A good hardware store or Home Depot should have the U-clips, also from McMaster-Carr McMaster-Carr
You can buy enough clips to do 6 bikes for less than $15.

Take your pick of knobs......
McMaster-Carr
Anyone have an idea of the size clips/bolts needed? Sure I can figure it out but gives me a place to start.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I bought the Bagger Bolts. Yes I could have sourced the clip and bolts for less $$. But the difference wasn't going to kill me, I helped an American business owner and it came with a small ratchet tool remove the bags that is easy to store on the bike

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I bought the Bagger Bolts. Yes I could have sourced the clip and bolts for less $$. But the difference wasn't going to kill me, I helped an American business owner and it came with a small ratchet tool remove the bags that is easy to store on the bike
Ditto. I did the same. Twice. Both my RG have them.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
When I put my Brukus replica bag kits together a while back. I'd spend $200 to do 50 sets plus additional $50 for the tool and bits. All in all it costs about me about $12 a kit (set of 4). It definitely could be done for as little as $5 from lowes but it won't look as cool as what everyone else offers.

As far as any recall..... Screw the stock set up because it sucks plain and simple. Bolt them on and stop worrying. Spend what makes you happy and if there's enough interest maybe I need to start offering my kit again. (PM if interested)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Several years ago the company I work for decided to pay one half for Redwing boots, at that time they were about 170.00 a pair. I was talking to the supervisor and told him I could get the same style of boot that would last just as long for half that at Farm fleet. Then he said that is true but they have to pay something, so I went to the redwing store and got the boots and they have been paying every sense. Point being THEY (HD) have to pay. Make them get it right then change to what you want, we know it won't be much but after spending that much money may as well get some even tho it ain't much back. Then you can have the satifaction of throwing the crap in the can and doing it right.Just sayin. BTW I use the Brukus kit and have not had any trouble at all.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I put the Brukus kit on mine a couple years ago and they work well but it's kind of a PITA to have to use a tool to take your bags off. I'd think the ones with the knobs would be more convenient though they may back out easier.

While we're talking about bags Burkus is bringing out a kit next month where you can switch the way your bags open to the way the new Rushmore bags do. You can open them using one hand. The kit will be around $200 dollars.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Agreed, the way I look at it, these guys took the time to figure it out so I don't have to scour the parts bins at the local hardware store and the little ratchet is a cool little addition.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.