Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Premium Member
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been only about 6000 miles since the compensator debacle that I am still frustrated about and the comp clunked for the first time after about 3000 miles so I bit the bullet and ordered the Baker. They called two weeks ago and told it would ship last Thursday which it did.

I'll take some pics once I open the box and check it out and it will get installed as time allows which means probably not for a while since it is the busy season.

But, it is always nice to be quoted a certain lead time and have the product show up as promised.

Hopefully this will be the last compensator I ever buy for this bike. Time sill tell. My buddy just put a 14 comp in his 09 with 90k miles on it (his 4th comp) and it has already started to clunk as well.

Drew

· Registered
10,584 Posts
Subscribed.....

· Registered
3,807 Posts
Baker Comp install

I'm wondering how the install went.

When I set mine up and measured it, I found that I needed a .060 shim behind the extension shaft. But none of my shims fit (-70 shims). The old sprocket shaft (that there are shims for) is smaller than the late Twin Cam shaft. The dealer has no idea as to what shims Baker is calling for, and there are non shown in the parts book.

Anyone run into this yet?

· Registered
7,522 Posts
Let me know how it works for you. I got my Baker comp a couple weeks ago but I still haven't put it in.

· Registered
10,584 Posts
I'm wondering how the install went.

When I set mine up and measured it, I found that I needed a .060 shim behind the extension shaft. But none of my shims fit (-70 shims). The old sprocket shaft (that there are shims for) is smaller than the late Twin Cam shaft. The dealer has no idea as to what shims Baker is calling for, and there are non shown in the parts book.

Anyone run into this yet?
Have you called Baker yet ?

· Registered
3,807 Posts
OK just got off the phone with Baker.

They are just becoming aware of the issue. They were thinking that the parts counter at the dealer would have shims to fit. Reality is that the MoCo never made a shim for the late sprocket shaft. Just a one fits all spacer and washer. So, at least in my dealers point of view, there is no shim for that application.

Either most scooters are good to go without shims, or people are just running them at whatever they end up with by bolting it together. Baker had no goto source for the shims.

I found some Rivera Primo shims for spacing belt drive sprockets that might work. They are specific for 07 on. But before I order them, I'm going to hit the indie one more time.

· Registered
3,807 Posts
Update.

After some digging through old parts bin's my indy came through again.

Old Sporty (L84-90) trans mainshaft right side thrust washer is the correct size for the 07> sprocket shaft. Will work if you need .067 to .090.

It's a machined steel spacer, so no worries about it holding up.

· Registered
3,807 Posts
Once I got the shim figured out, the install was straight forward. Would have been about a 3 beer job had I not needed to go shim hunting.

Took it out this afternoon and put about 50 miles on it. Smoother to be sure, and the clackity rattle is gone. But the SE comp was smooth and quiet in the beginning too. So it'll take some miles to be sure.

· Registered
7,522 Posts
You would think that for what Baker charges for the compensator they would have all the bugs worked out before they started to sell them and that would include a shim if it was needed. Still haven't installed mine.

Reactions: RGKen

· Registered
10,584 Posts
You would think that for what Baker charges for the compensator they would have all the bugs worked out before they started to sell them and that would include a shim if it was needed. Still haven't installed mine.
That's what I was thinking.

· Premium Member
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I sold mine to a afriend who needed it and could not wait for one from Baker. i am still running the stock 2014 comp with the compensaver. 48k miles on the bike, put this on at 19k. Still way better than the stock one was on this bike. Clunks every once in a while but no frequency to it yet.

Drew

· Registered
7,121 Posts
I installed mine on Sunday afternoon. It did not require any shims. Alignment was perfect. The primary is very quiet and no clunking on shut down. I have only managed 35 miles so far so the jury is still out but so far so good.

· Registered
393 Posts
I sold mine to a afriend who needed it and could not wait for one from Baker. i am still running the stock 2014 comp with the compensaver. 48k miles on the bike, put this on at 19k. Still way better than the stock one was on this bike. Clunks every once in a while but no frequency to it yet.

Drew
Damn Drew. 29K miles in 11 months. You're riding that bike!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.