Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received an e-mail from Baker today introducing their new compensator for 2007 and newer twin cams. The msrp is $399. It said they are taking pre orders now and will begin shipping soon. I do not see it on their website yet.

My vulkanworks sprocket is serving me well so far. I'll let you guy's be the guinea pigs. :D Below is the text from the e-mail.

New Product Announcement!
We are excited to introduce the reliable solution to compensating sprocket failures ...

BAKER Compensator Kit
Return to carefree riding with the BAKER Compensator Kit for 2007-Later Big Twins!

Our kit includes:
• 34-Tooth Compensating Sprocket
• Motor Extension Shaft
• Cam Slider
• Spring Cup
• Retention Bolt
Part Number: 630-67K
Retail Price: $399.00

Now accepting pre-orders, shipping soon!

Call (517) 339-3835 for more information!

BAKER Drivetrain
9804 East Saginaw
Haslett, MI 48840

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
Interesting. I'd like to see a few pics of it before I would preorder though. The cost is roughly the same as the new HD version

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Interesting. I'd like to see a few pics of it before I would preorder though. The cost is roughly the same as the new HD version
You mean the one I have, with a little over 10,000 miles on it and it is shot to shit already?

I agree, need more input!

I still have the BDL Compensator sitting in a box on the floor.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Our kit includes:
• 34-Tooth Compensating Sprocket
• Motor Extension Shaft
• Cam Slider
• Spring Cup
• Retention Bolt
Part Number: 630-67K
Retail Price: $399.00

Not a lot of info.......

·
Super Moderator
12,749 Posts
I had mine out last month, actually had a bad starter clutch, but it's definitely showing signs of wear, hoping for a good solution before I have to change it. If belt drive were just a little less expensive, I would go that route.

Reactions: shrknz

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've read the BDL and Vulcan Engineering compensator eliminating sprockets work great at more than half the price of the Baker kit, the only price you pay is a little more vibration. I do want to add that I like the quality of everything Baker offers, but at a premium. I have had my compensator off while replacing my stator and there looked to be a single drop of thread locker on the threads of the main shaft, when it went back together I made sure it was covered in thread locker. This seems to be the biggest problem I've heard about with most compensator nuts coming loose and most of the time the fix is just thread locker and 175 ft. lbs. of torque, if you are quick to address the issue.

I've also heard that the HD and SE self adjusting primary chain tensioners can be part of the problem as they don't have the ability to release tension. I had to replace mine at 60K because I was already in the primary case and it looked as if the shoe might last another 10K so I replaced it with the stock part, but I did think about going back to the old manual adjuster that lasts a lifetime. I heard the Hayden model is a better design but I was not impressed with their wear on the shoe either.

I'm sure the Baker will be the ultimate fix as most of their stuff is engineered well with every detail in order, but I don't mind the attitude "that less is more" with these very simple sprockets to fix the problem.

Hullhorr, I see you are from Mt. Airy, I like to ride that area and love all the little country dive biker bars up there, good people, good food, and beer, what more can you ask for!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an older thread.... but I replaced the stock Comp with the Vulcan sprocket and a Hayden tensioner. After about 4k hear is what I learned..... When riding below 2500rpm I can feel the bike "chatter" the wheel when I go over frost heaves in the road or any other pothole type imperfection. As for starting, NO more clunk and stop on starting....I just ordered a Baker Comp and will be replacing the Vulcan to ease touring at lower rpm, BUT I will keep the Vulcan. I believe it would be perfect for a belt primary.....

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I still dig my Vulcanworks so I cannot see spending the coin for the Baker at this point. Awfulallen please report back on the Baker once you get some miles on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts