Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As much as I hate to do this I have no choice at this point, I'll keep this as short as possible to get to the point quick

I was hearing some odd noises in my primary, when I removed the outer primary to check I noticed that the chain was lose. When I checked the chain tensioner I noticed that the teeth/notches that are used to adjust the chain were damaged and appear to be rounded, that caused the teeth to skip. Well, as luck would have it, I had to remove the compensator sprocket in order to remove the chain tensioner and that's when I noticed that about ½ inch of the notches on the shaft extension literally embedded themselves into the cam lobe, it was enough that I would not have been able to slide the shaft out of the lobe without a vise, a hammer and some big wrenches.

I contacted baker regarding a warranty exchange back in April of this year, they provided a return authorization number and asked that I return the items for a warranty exchange. Well, after several calls and emails I finally received the attitude adjuster, it arrived about 2 weeks ago. Let us not forget that I returned these items back in late April, it took nearly three months to get the attitude adjuster replaced and yet here I am, still waiting for the sprocket! the only reason I was able to get my bike running was because I was smart enough to keep my old compensator but I had to go out and purchase a replacement chain tensioner from HD.

Why would you offer warranties on something that you don’t even keep in stock? Ok, fine! maybe its not in stock as a regular off the shelf part but should a customer have to wait 2, 3, 4 maybe 5 months for the replacement? Had I not kept my old compensator and bought a new tensioner my bike would still be down, or, I'd be out another few benjamins to replace the compensator that I bought to replace the other compensator. At this point I have no plans on re-installing the attitude adjuster or compensator once it arrives, God forbid it fails AGAIN and I have to wait months to get a replacement.

Lastly,

*their customer service is horrible, I can’t tell you how many times I was told I’d get a callback and it never happened
*most of my emails were answered but sometimes the response was “we’ll email you back tomorrow with some additional information”…………..still waiting
*the attitude that I received over the phone from some of the guys that work there.........wow! It makes me wonder how they’re still in business. Telling a customer, “Like I said, we’ll ship it when we get it” or "we'll look at your parts as soon as we have time" is enough to convince me to never ever buy anything from them again.

After finding and reading about similar issues from other customers I realized that this was not an isolated incident.

Attachments

·
Registered
849 Posts
Never used them before but have not heard good things about them. 2 months to get a replacement transmission for the M8. That is crazy. Do they think people are ok with the bike being down that long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
I've never used anything from Baker but everyone seems to rant and rave over their stuff. I've never really heard anything negative about them. Your situation does suck and I hope everything works out in the end for you

·
Registered
685 Posts
Okay, so the support was atrocious. But in the interest of clarity - in regard to product quality - what type of riding do you do?

I tend to be hard on clutches and compensators due to a penchant for shenanigans.. I may even go solid sprocket, but I'm on the fence because I'd rather not move the "weak point" to the crank..

·
Registered
571 Posts
Similar experience

I had ordered their grudge box for my FLTRU. Website said allow 2 to 3 weeks for grudge box, when I ordered over the phone was told I would have it in 3 weeks. After three weeks they didn't even have the parts to start building it. After calling back was told they got parts but I had 20 people in front of me and they had no idea when they would get to mine. After not getting called back when told I would and being told something different each time I spoke with someone different I cancelled my order. A company has 30 days to credit your card if you cancel an order. They went beyond that and only credited it after I called them and told them it was past 30 days. They may have good products but their customer service sucks. I don't think over promising and under delivering is a good business model, but that's just me.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My cousin and I both ordered parts from Baker at Black Hills H-D in Rapid City on August 1. They said it could be 6-8 weeks. My cousin received his yesterday. (My luck mine will take 8 weeks:laugh:)

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Anybody know if Bert (Baker) is still at the helm?

So many others have cashed in and sold their businesses to equity firms or conglomerates since the heydays of the early 2000s.

Mergers and acquisitions seem to be the only profit models these days. Soft markets are tough on everybody.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I have a Baker compensator and their attitude chain adjuster. I'm hearing a noise in my primary right now but it sounds like it may be the inner primary bearing, but after your post I will be checking everything out a lot more closely.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I think Baker has issues when a) Things sell to well, like grudge boxes. They get stuck with waiting on vender supplied parts. b) Things sell well and then don't hold up, like the comps and adjusters.

I killed a comp early on and they replaced it withing two weeks. Said they bumped me to the front of the line. That one was sort of on me, .010 crank run out on the sprocket shaft.

Then I killed an Attitude adjuster that already had the extra bracket installed, and they don't know me. No idea why it failed other than being to weak. I do down shift, but that load is limited to the amount of purchase the tire has in a decel loading. And that's not a lot.

And just this week, I started hearing the dreaded rattle shut-down klack from the comp.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, so the support was atrocious. But in the interest of clarity - in regard to product quality - what type of riding do you do?

I tend to be hard on clutches and compensators due to a penchant for shenanigans.. I may even go solid sprocket, but I'm on the fence because I'd rather not move the "weak point" to the crank..

From the time I ordered and installed the parts until the time they failed I rode from LA to Fort Worth, LA to Albuquerque, LA to Rosarito and obviously locally. I ride fast and I ride hard, it’s not uncommon for me to put more miles on my bike than my truck but should “premium parts” break down that fast?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Sorry to hear about all these issues. I bought a full 6 speed for a EVO and 6 speed in 5 gear set also for a EVO. Both came within two weeks and worked way better than a stock hd.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Baker makes good products . But real world not one bit better than HD. Likely will never know what caused the problem with that much damage. But it sure would be nice to know what started the destruction.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Had a "Discussion" with the fine representatives of Baker in Sturgis a few years back. Needless to say, I believe the company is a house of cards, their advertising far out paces their capacity to provide any resemblance of customer no-service not to mention a product line with any consistency of longevity....

·
Registered
467 Posts
I used to rebuild quite a few Baker 6 speed transmissions in the Big Dog brand motorcycles. Before they went belly up the first time. The DSSC 6 speed to be exact. After seeing many part revisions, low quality bearings and low quality gaskets I don't have a great view of Baker. Most of these were on low mileage bikes with major part failures.

To be honest Harley does a good job on their Transmissions but the comp sprocket and clutch baskets can be weak areas. Clutch plates and springs are easily upgraded.

I've had pretty good luck with the 5 to 6 speed conversions that rev tech sells behind a few Ultima El Bruto 124 motors in some custom builds. Only problems I have seen with these are bent shift forks from slam shifting and that is 100% operator error.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’m still waiting for a response on an email that I sent last week Thursday asking when my replacement is being shipped.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I’m still waiting for a response on an email that I sent last week Thursday asking when my replacement is being shipped.
Still waiting

Well, I finally got my sprocket, it arrived about two weeks ago. If anyone is interested I will be selling the sprocket and the attitude adjuster.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts