Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking at buying a new set of chiseled handlebars for my 18 RGS, but unsure at how high you can do without extensions. I’m also unsure if I want 12”s or 14”s anyone got some insight on what they have and preferences. I live in Washington where it’s more cold than warm, so i don’t want my hands to far up out in the wind .

If you need extensions for the 14”s anyone have part numbers for the equipment required?

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you go with Factory 47's you do not need wire extensions. I went with 12's as I felt like 14's put your hands too far out.

·
Registered
445 Posts
What I always say about apes. If you are between 12 or 14. Go with the 14, shouldn't need extensions with a 14 and if you are worried about cold (like I was in WI) I just put on some heated grips. They are the bee's knee's.

Most people who go for the smaller size usually regret no going bigger. But to each their own.

·
Registered
76 Posts
if you are iffy alway go with the taller one. no extensions needed up to 14 inch but each company will tell you which of their bars fit without anything extra. as far as hands in the wind it will happen with either size so i wouldn't weight that into your thoughts. you are going to need a good set of gloves for cooler days. what you should look at is pull back and width. which isn't talked about much but those are just as important as height.

·
Registered
54 Posts
just watch the factory 47 video , do the work yourself, will take 3-4 hours , bring a friend , drink some beers , its painless , if your taller 6'5" go higher that 14's , im 6 8" and 14's arent high enough (but they are comfortable enough), I had 16's on my 2003 Indian Chief and they were perfect, do not and I repeat DO NOT listen to your dealer , dont have them put the bars on for you unless you have money burn

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I went with the 12s. I've had 18s. So I'm fully aware how comfortable or uncomfortable they can be. 12s are dead nuts perfect for me. I'm 5'10ish. I also have the lo profile solo seat. That drops me about 2" from stock. So if I had a stock seat and 14s its likely the same set up. My biggest issue is I'm not a fan of bars way over the fairing. Looks unnatural to me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have the JSR 14" straight meat hooks and couldn't be happier. My lower neck and shoulders use to burn and hurt like the dickens after about an hour of riding and since going with the 14" bars i don't have that problem any more. Now i'm looking for a better helmet cause my head starts hurting after a while.:frown:

·
Banned
72 Posts
Best to form your own opinion.Go to a bike night or a rally no doubt you'll see something you like.I've had ppl ask about mine(got 16s on both my bikes) i just tell them to go ahead a sit on it and see for yourself. If they don't want to sit on your bike and check it out that just tells me there weren't that serious about it in the first place. I see there's a ton of guys going with the for 14s just so they don't have to change out Brake & Clutch lines. My opinion on that is if you have to reroute that stuff and stretch it out you're not doing it right. And another thing I hear all the time I wish I would have went with the higher ones. Take your time and get it right the first time your wallet will thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm 6'4" tall and went with the 12" F47 bars, very happy so far. For me it was about getting a little taller to get me sitting a little more upright, the 12" bars lined up with the forks do that.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Tities

Also look at the way you ride I like the chiseled bars because they are more narrow than the factory 47 bars ...and they are truly 14’s the factory 47 bars don’t really measure up

·
Registered
134 Posts
I went with 16" Yaffe monkey bars. They do measure a true 16. But I guess the way I sit on the RG as opposed to my softail, my arms fall lower. If I do it again, I'd go taller, and probably with a true ape hanger.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I just put on 12" Factory 47s...get the 14s..smh

I do have a mustang solo, which sits me up..maybe ill look for a lower seat now..lol...so its a crapshoot for us telling you what..Id go with the recommendation to go to a meet or ride or something and sit on a bunch...

Good Luck ride safe!!!

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'm 6'4" and have the 14" KST Renegades, if I had it to do over again I'd go 12"s. I'd sit on as many different bikes with different bars as I could to make sure what feels right to you.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts