Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I finally got my neck bearings adjusted and greased and I set both tires psi at 38psi went out for a test ride and when you take your hands off the bars on deceleration they shake pretty violently. Where should I look next? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
976 Posts
As stated, check the condition of your tires first. If they are in good shape it's possible that you maybe lost some wheel weights, throwing the wheel out of balance. Could also be a loose motor mount or heim joint on top of the motor, but you'll generally see the motor bouncing around a bit more than usual at idle if its mounts.

Lil Chief

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Don’t know what year bike you have, but my 13 used to do this intermittently. Always made sure I had 36 front and 41 lbs rear. And sounds crazy but I’d make sure I didn’t have one side loaded heavier than the other.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Check the front tire for sure and you will want to check it cold and after you ride it. Had the stock tire on my '12 that shifted a belt. It would get worse the more you rode (warmer) it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bike is a 2012 I bought in 2017 with almost brand new metzeler tires already on it so I’m not sure if it had this problem before they where replaced. Maybe they are out of balance?

·
Registered
300 Posts
No, but there are a bunch of tire wear patterns that once started get worse

I cannot run Dunlops stock on mine but elites are fine.

And different tires started it at different wear mileage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Get some (Ride-On) to put in the tires. This will take care of your balancing problems. It will also provide puncture flats from accruing.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Ok I finally got my neck bearings adjusted and greased and I set both tires psi at 38psi went out for a test ride and when you take your hands off the bars on deceleration they shake pretty violently. Where should I look next? Thanks for any help!
What are you riding, how many miles, and what bars are on it.

And when you say decelerate, is it just letting the scooter roll, no throttle, or engine braking.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I had a '12 RG Ultra, heavy head shake on decel about 35 - 40, dealer instructed me to never let go of the bars and I'd have no more problems, I called bullshit! Check tire condition, balance and inflation first and then tighten your head bearings in small increments until head shake goes away. Mine rode well when the fall away was slightly more than 1/2 a turn. Book fall away specs are too loose on a '12. I seriously doubt that the bearings would require replacement. Some dealers are better at oil changes, and don't care for problems high mileage people present them with. I have learned a lot finding solutions for myself and talking with other people not afraid to pick up a wrench and give it a lick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’m riding a 2012 road glide that has 35000 miles and I got the fall away maybe just over one and yes it happened on a deceleration around 40 when I let go of the bars and it is fairly violent I can’t imagine what would happen if I didn’t grab them to stop the shake there is no way this is “normal”

·
Registered
318 Posts
Why do you say that? If anything it’s on the tighter side of adjustment
I had a similar problem on my 2014 Ultra Limited. Replaced the front tire (OEM tires on this model were known for being mounted backwards causing cupping). Still wobbled. Re-balanced the front tire. Still wobbled. I had the steering head checked by my local dealer as part of my 10K service. Still wobbled. About 1,000 miles into a 3,000 mile trip, it was so violent that it was unsafe to ride one-handed, especially in rain. At one of our rest stops, I called ahead to H-D Bowling Green and they fit me in at 4p that afternoon. The tech was outstanding at diagnosing the loose steering head as the culprit. It took him multiple test rides and re-adjustments to get it right. I don't recall the details, but he said he had to tighten it more than factory spec to solve the problem. And he re-balanced the front tire once more as a measure of safety...all done under warranty. Never had a problem with it after.

Most techs would have called it a win at one and done, so my hat is off to the H-D Bowling Green Service Department.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Btw, My swing is at 3/4 swing. Only had the handlebar wobble once when I let the rear tire leak down to 34lbs. Just like everyone else it occurred on decel under 40 mph.

·
Registered
182 Posts
What procedure did you use to adjust the fall away?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
i had a high speed wobble on my heritage right around 90 mph decel.
local indy tightened steering up so tight i almost fell over when i rode it, but it hasn't wobbled since lol

1 - 20 of 31 Posts