Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer wants $170 for a battery replacement. He doesn't even know how many amps it has or anything. I'm not getting it there. Any suggestions for under $170 bucks?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
My dealer wants $170 for a battery replacement. He doesn't even know how many amps it has or anything. I'm not getting it there. Any suggestions for under $170 bucks?
I don't remember what I paid the last time I purchased a battery. I've had friends who purchased after market batteries and they always regret it. I don't always buy OEM Harley Parts but I do buy their batteries. In my opinion, they're the best for Harley Davidson bikes. Maybe someone knows who makes them for MoCo and you can save a few bucks.

·
Registered
559 Posts
on another note has anyone used the saddlemen exployer seat.been looking at one on ebay.looks comfy but not sure.my mustang is hurting my tailbone.never bothered me before.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Harley Davidson does not make there own batteries, they are made for them by a company named East-Penn. They sell there own line of batteries to the public under the name of Deka, yes it is the same battery.
Its falls on the power sport divison and yes it is a gas mat unit. You can check in your area and see if there is a dealer or you can check with Batteries Plus, I know they sell them here locally.

http://www.dekabatteries.com/assets/base/0278(6.10).pdf

·
Registered
740 Posts
Dealer was back ordered so I went to auto zone and bought a AGM battery for less than $100. Two years and still going strong. Exact same battery except for the labels...

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I ended up buying a Deka battery from battery plus. It was an upgrade from the harley battery. It has 400 cold cracking amps (harleys is 250) and comes with a 2 year warranty. Harleys only come with a 1 year warranty. And best of all I saved $50 buying a better battery.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
my 03 Sporty, that I purchased new, still has the original battery, and I only used a tender on it the first year. Yep almost 9 years on the same battery.
my 06 Street Glide, that i owned for 5 years, played the radio a lot when the bike wasnt running, and still had the original battery when i traded it in with 34,000 miles.
Why do you need a new battery already is what Im wondering.:confused:

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know. All I know, is every dealer and battery place I go say the battery should last 3 to 5 years. Last year it went bone dead. Maybe that took a tole on it. I have never had a battery go before. But, I can tell you it starts almost immediately now. Turns over faster than ever.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The desert heat is a battery killer... I am lucky if I can get three years out of a battery. I now ALWAYS have mine on a battery tender. I think batteries had almost doubled in price in the last 8 years...., too.

Mylo

·
Registered
72 Posts
With my 06 Road King I bought an after market battery.. Lasted 2 weeks.broke down on the road, dealer towed me in. While waiting for the repair, I fell for the Road Glide!

Best mistake I ever made. Though when I need a new battery, I'll get HD

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well before you do, understand HD doesn't make batteries.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
battery

yep that is about right at Harley dealer. However I bought my 2010 RGC used, 13 months old, 3k miles. the battery was dead. However the dealer, Republic Harley, from which it was bought, put in a new one for FREE, under warranty, without even charging it. Nice people. I will buy my next bike from them even though they are 45 miles away and my nearest dealer is 1 mile from my home. Thanks Republic Harley. You da man!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Guys: This may be old news to some of you but I did not see anything on them so....There is a company out in Cali and a few other States called Odyssey. I believe they make and sell this battery. It is an AGM just like the HD Brand that Harley (does nbot make). It has huge cranking specs and is also a Deep Cell with stats that are amazing if they are all true. I have heard nothing but good and I just ordered one today for my 08 RG...If you are interested I will update with info on how they do on cust svc getting it shipped on time and other things. Their price was $214 and change with free ground shipping.........
but with these stats...925 cranking amps for 5 seconds
870 cranking amps for 10 seconds
765 cranking amps for 20 seconds
Short circuit current over 2400A
28 amp hours
50 minute reserve capacity with 25amp load
Female brass terminal w/M6 SS bolt
Measurements (for Harley mounts):
Length 6 5/8"
Width 4 15/16"
Height 7"
Weighs 25.5 lbs
And this design.......Rugged Drycell sealed design
Military grade
Vibration resistant
60% more starting power
Deep discharge reserve power
2 year storage life
8-12 year design life
Can be mounted in any orientation
Plus they claim 12 year suspected life and full recovery from full drain I think it may be the best deal.

·
Registered
93 Posts
IF this company makes the batteries for H-D, then why does their battery spec page say..does not meet H-D specefications??
I did buy one from them and it fit and worked fine, for awhile, then I traded that RG for this one.

·
Registered
362 Posts
IF this company makes the batteries for H-D, then why does their battery spec page say..does not meet H-D specefications??
I did buy one from them and it fit and worked fine, for awhile, then I traded that RG for this one.
It doesnt meet Harley specs due to how you have to mount it. Because its slightly wider it needs to be mounted on its side with the terminals facing forward. I have the Oddessey 925FMJ ( Full metal jacket ) for the 117" in my trike and couldnt be happier with the performance from this battery

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
3,813 Posts
IMO, just but the MOCO battery. If you can't get the answer then ask for another parts guy or talk to a tech in the shop. If that doesn't work then find another dealership.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well I ended up buying a Deka battery from battery plus. It was an upgrade from the harley battery. It has 400 cold cracking amps (harleys is 250) and comes with a 2 year warranty. Harleys only come with a 1 year warranty. And best of all I saved $50 buying a better battery.
Deka and Big Crank are both made by East Penn Mfg. who makes the OEM Harley Davidson batteries. Why pay HD extra for their name on the same product?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts