Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm getting ready to change my battery. I remember reading something about the alarm sounding when the battery is disconnected. I have a 2013 CVO Road Glide. Does anyone know the procedure for changing the battery so the alarm won't activate?

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
I'm getting ready to change my battery. I remember reading something about the alarm sounding when the battery is disconnected. I have a 2013 CVO Road Glide. Does anyone know the procedure for changing the battery so the alarm won't activate?
I always have the fob near the bike when disconnecting the battery. Works for me.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did my own research and learned that the alarm siren will sound when I disconnect my battery. I believe this is true of all Harleys with a factory siren attached to their alarm. Before disconnecting my battery I need to put the bike in ACC Mode and pull the maxi fuse. Once the battery is changed I'm supposed to put the bike back in the Off Position and then reinsert the maxi fuse.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
I did my own research and learned that the alarm siren will sound when I disconnect my battery. I believe this is true of all Harleys with a factory siren attached to their alarm. Before disconnecting my battery I need to put the bike in ACC Mode and pull the maxi fuse. Once the battery is changed I'm supposed to put the bike back in the Off Position and then reinsert the maxi fuse.
If the battery is disconnected, where is the juice coming from to power the alarm ?

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
if you have the siren module installed, it has a battery backup. for just exactly this reason.

even if you don't have the alarm module installed, you should go through the proper disconnect procedure, otherwise, you may end up with starting issues afterwards.

plus, it's easy to do it right, so why not? all you have to do is disarm the system before you start. on the pre-rushmore bikes, that means having your fob on you, and then turning your ignition on, then pulling the maxi fuse. on the rushmore bikes, procedure is slightly different, but process is the same.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is what I do as well when I pull the maxi fuse. Turn switch to ON and then pull the fuse.
The siren goes off regardless of the fob being present or not when the power is cut to the alarm system.
I believe the system(siren unit from HD) has an internal battery to power itself.

Here is the manual steps:

1. Remove seat.
2. See Figure 1-41. If present, move purge solenoid (1) forward
to release from top caddy. Release HFSM antenna
(2) from top caddy and move out of the way.
3. Remove fasteners (4).
4. Cut cable ties (3) and move harnesses to allow more
clearance for the top caddy.
5. See Figure 1-42. Release top caddy from front hold-down
bracket and rotate top caddy (1) out of the way.
6. If equipped with security system siren, turn the ignition
switch ON with the hands-free fob present to disarm the
security system.

Cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts