Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my battery trickle charge wire/plug fell against my back wheel and sheared off.
In turn my cigarette lighter/charger stopped working as well.
From what I understand the trickle line is wired into this harness.
I checked my fuses all are fine. Are there any other fuses I’m overlooking?

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
So my battery trickle charge wire/plug fell against my back wheel and sheared off.
It's just a pigtail that is connected to the battery so just buy a new pigtail, remove the old one, and install the new one. My guess is that your cigarette lighter stopped working because you did blow a fuse. Look at the accessory fuse closer and it is not uncommon that you will not be able to see a break and I would test continuity. Each fuse has metal pins in the back end of the fuse that I just touch with the probes from my multimeter to ensure the fuse is working. It can be done with the fuse in it's slot so you don't even nee to pull it.

Let us know if you find it.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
I'm under the impression that on the newer bikes they're built into a harness. I know mine doesn't go straight to the battery like on my '11 RGU did. Like Ken said, look for a fuse. You're also going to have to trace what's left of the wire to see where it goes.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys,
Thanks for the info. On 15 RGS the charger is wired to the harness and seem to be buried deep inside the bike.
I changed all the fuses that relate to the battery. I can easily put a pigtail directly to the battery but that still leaves me with mo lighter/charger on the clutch side of the bike. So my question remains: does anyone know where the lighter/charger fuse might b or is it combined with another fuse that’s not named on the fuse box.Thanks
R

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Sorry that happened. Did you cut back the rest of the wire and tape it off so the positive can't make a connection with anything and short out?

There is a 20A fuse in he fuse block that the Battery Tender wire runs through.

I did a real quick look at the wiring diagram and it looks like if a fuse is blown for the cigarette lighter other things shouldn't be working as well. Did you check the cigarette lighter with a voltmeter?

Good Luck.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Twowheel you hit it on the head I changed the 20 fuse and bingo! The lighter worked.
I had looked at this fuse and it looked fine but I guess just putting eyes on it is not a good test.
Going to splice another plug into the battery charge line and hopefully that should handle it.
Thanks so much for the info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts