Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, need your input.

In three occasions starting yesterday morning and twice today in the evening....

Bike turns on fine but after a few minutes of rolling, my check engine light and battery light come on. I check the volt meter on the dash as I'm riding at it reads something like 11 give or take. After 15-20 minutes in each of the three occurences the volt meter then goes back to normal around 13.5 or so and the lights turn off.

I currently just bought a brand new battery. Only about 1 month old

VR was replaced about 25K miles ago

I pulled the derby inspection cover and looked for that infamous burnt wire smell from the stator but I guess it kinda smells like it (scratching head) but then again is it just the smell of hot synthetic oil. I dunno.

I guess where should I start?

Right now battery is charging on a tender and will then read off that.

·
Administrator
10,500 Posts
sounds like the stator , when mine went out , the voltage dropped to under 12 momentarily twice that I know of .. My battery died a couple weeks later

JtB

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
going to be doing the serious diagnostics this evening. I needed to let the battery charge overnight so I can test accurately.

I guess I don't care what it is, I just want to fix the right part the first time.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone have the link or now the post that someone made on here about what procedures to check the charging system?

I found yesterday but now can't seem to find it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,831 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok this is what I have done and found. thanks for the specs that helped a lot.

charged battery and is good at 12.8

unplugged stator and checked all three connections in the 4 phase mode. they checked out to specs above. that means stator and rotor are good.

also used a light meter and grounded it properly, turned bike on and check terminals at stator. light never came one. notes indicate that is a good thing.

My assumption is the VR is gone bad, but I couldn't find notes on how to check the VR. (nevermind. I see notes on JP cycles website).

Did I miss anything?

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Had the same thing which started to happen more and more frequently. All tested fine. Took it to the dealer under warranty and the stator and voltage regulator were replaced. The plug between the two had some burnt points in it. It's been fine the last 4000 miles.

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
The VR can be very temperamental when going bad.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My bike is currently doing the same thing. Did it end up to be the VR? I guess I'll be running tests too. I'm right at 10k, so my primary oil is due anyway.

·
Registered
400 Posts
My 13 RGC had the stator and voltage regulator replaced under warranty at 16,000 miles. Started with meter dropping to 11 volts then engine light would come on, then everything would return to normal until it finally died. Good news is that it died at Thunder Beach when I pulled into the dealership for a refreshing beverage! Warranty replaced everything in the charging system except the battery. Go figure?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Repaired.

So after running a battery of test thru the charging system all checked out fine except the voltage regulator.

I got a replacement and ran all the same test again and it's working like it should be now.

As a side note and only re-emphasizing what I have read and heard others mention is get a digital volt meter and learn how to use it. For checking the charging system this is an indispensable tool.

also the one I got was a freebie thru Harbor Freight and it worked great.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
The company battery tender makes a cool little plug in that plugs into your tender and reads voltage with digital display ,its small you can take it in your pocket and check it out whenever you need to or someone else does I keep it in my saddlebags, good to have and cheap to buy. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have 48K on my 2010 FLTRX. Last week the voltage gauge dropped to approximately 11 volts, the battery and then engine light came on. Threw a P0562 code. Took it in the dealer and the voltage regulator (VR) had to be replaced; stator and battery were good.

But they also told me that the stator plug that comes out of the front of the primary case is weeping oil; this is apparently a very common problem. The fix is to replace the stator; expensive! The stator design has already gone through 4 revisions/updates since 2010 in order to try and fix this stator plug oil leak. What a pain.

Will super clean the area and then apply some black RTV to hopefully fix the stator plug oil leak; this appears to be a good approach from what I have been able to read online.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts