Road Glide banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Street Glide last week and I have less than 200 miles on it.

I'm not positive but, I may have left the ignition in the On position and walked away. Last night, the bike wouldn't start. I jumped it and got it running, rode it for about a 100 miles but noticed that the Volts were constantly up around 14 which I assumed meant that the system was charging the battery. I thought that a long ride would charge the battery to a normal state but, when I got home, turned it off, it would not start again. I'm wondering now if I destroyed the battery or, there may be something wrong with my charging system.

Any words of advice is appreciated...Obviously, I am calling the dealer as soon as they open.

Thanks!
Roger
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,436 Posts
You should slow charge it with a charger, as opposed to letting it charge itself. Charging up a dead battery causes a lot of heat in the stator and regulator. They are not really intended to work that hard. And a slow charge causes less wear to the battery than a fast high amp charge.

Battery should be fine. You might have shortened it's life a little, but a week or two off the total life is no big deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,479 Posts
a charging system that is working properly should be sending 14.4 volts to the battery. if you notice that your system is sending considerably more or less, then your charging system is suspect.

a bike with less than 200 miles on it most likely does not have any issues with the charging system (though anything is possible), but you really should put your battery on a real charger before doing anything else.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top