Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trailered my '16 FLTRU out to Colorado and battery died in the trailer on the way. Charged it and ran it all through the Rockies for a few days with no further issue. Trailered home and battery was dead again. The key fob was in the motor home with me on the trip out and in the glove box on the bike on the way back. Other than bad road Karma for trailering instead of riding, I'm fresh out of ideas. Anyone?

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
Trailered my '16 FLTRU out to Colorado and battery died in the trailer on the way. Charged it and ran it all through the Rockies for a few days with no further issue. Trailered home and battery was dead again. The key fob was in the motor home with me on the trip out and in the glove box on the bike on the way back. Other than bad road Karma for trailering instead of riding, I'm fresh out of ideas. Anyone?
The alarm probably kept going off on every bump you hit. This causing all the lights to stay on flashing your whole trip. Try leaving the key fob on the bike while trailering.

·
Registered
177 Posts
You need to disable your alarm system, if you did not do so. Turn ignition on, then off. Before red light goes out, press both turn signals; signal lights will flash once, release turn signal buttons; signal lights should flash 3 times showing system is disabled.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Trailer Karma

You hit right yourself! Any Road Glide in a trailer might create a bad karma. Now that is an lol, so please don't go off on me.
It was as always nice to get the answers as earlier posts covered.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Transport Mode needs to be set. Every time you hit a bump while trailering it, the bike thinks it's being stolen & the lights will flash until battery is dead.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Yup. Or just yank the main fuse.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input. It looks like the concensus is transport mode. I'll go back through the owners manual cause I must have missed that page. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Thanks for all the input. It looks like the concensus is transport mode. I'll go back through the owners manual cause I must have missed that page. Thanks again.

With Transport mode it disables the motion detection of the alarm and it will still not start without the fob. That way you will not have to worry about removing the fob from the bike every time you stop to eat. You will disable Transport mode as soon as you turn the ignition switch to on with the fob present. Just that easy.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Good to learn about transport mode....didn't know that existed. Question is if the key fob is in the glove box and bike is in a trailer NOT in transport mode would this still kill the battery? I thought the key fob being there would disable the alarm?

I am asking bc I just got my 18 RGS delivered last night, dead battery and both FOB's were in the glove boxes the entire time.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
fobs weren't close enough to the bike to disable the security.

keeping the fob near the bike is not the best way to circumvent the security. that's what transport mode is for.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
fobs weren't close enough to the bike to disable the security.
Skratch, for me the FOB's were in the glove boxes on the bike fairing. That is why I was shocked the battery was dead, I figured that the FOBs being on the bike would disarm the security.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
+1 on the transport mode and remember, this is very important - IT'S A RODE GLIDE, NOT A TOWED GLIDE!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Quick video with the process. The dealer didn't do it last time they took my bike for repairs and it barely fired up when I got it back. Silly dealer.

https://youtu.be/379o2ol7wKk

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Skratch, for me the FOB's were in the glove boxes on the bike fairing. That is why I was shocked the battery was dead, I figured that the FOBs being on the bike would disarm the security.
oops, sorry, thought you meant the glove box of the vehicle...

·
Registered
540 Posts
I asked the delivery driver today as he delivered my bike.... he said that having the key fob on the bike DOES NOT disable your security, it simply disables the alarm (the flashing of the signals)- the bike will still sense the motion and continue to internally cut power to the ignition until you get on the bike and fire it up. Your fob isn't "read" by the bike until you turn the ignition on and go to fire up the bike- then the bike senses the fob and allows power to start the bike. When the bike is off, it doesn't matter if the fob is near the bike or not- if the scooter senses motion, it's going to activate it's internal security and draw power.

So, the ONLY way to circumvent this is to place the bike in transport mode.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Makes sense to me. Thanks for the explanation, I always thought the system disarmed when the fob was near it. Wont have any issues from here on out as I dont plan on the bike being on a trailer anytime soon. But, if needed, I at least know about the transport mode now! Thanks Everyone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts