Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 12 RGC back from my local HD dealer. Hose became disconnected from the fuel pump inside the tank.

Now the Engine and Battery light will come on at the same time. Ridden it twice since getting it back from the dealer and both times the battery and engine light comes on for several minutes. I notice when the lights come on the voltage will be about 10v. After a few minutes I notice the voltage starts to go back to normal 14v and then both the Battery and Engine lights go off.

Any ideas on what might be causing this?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
397 Posts
If it wasn't doing it before you took it in for work,take it back to the people who worked on the bike.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
You could have a historic code or a existing code so check for codes, the info on how to check and clear codes is in the troubleshooting section of the forum. The 2012 model had a recall on the voltage regulator so that may be the problem. The main thing is that the bike is still under warranty so take it in for repairs.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have a similar situation. The Volt gauge on my bike goes from 14.4 to 12 volts, and intermittently the battery/engine lights come on. Hasn't dropped below 12 yet. Took it to the dealer, and they said they checked the battery, battery connections and posts, and regulator. I even took the front fairing off to check the wires to the gauge and they're fine. I'm thinking the stator, but...they don't think that's the problem. They also said they checked the Regulator for the recall and its supposedly fine. Apparently my bike just has a Gremlin in it.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
When the stator starts to go bad it will put out the proper voltage when cool but as the stator warms up you will get a voltage drop and the voltage will stay low and not recover until the stator cools. A easy way to see if your stator is going bad is to pull the derby cover off and if you get a strong burnt odor then the stator is your problem. A bad stator or voltage regulator will leave you stranded when you are out riding because these bike will only run so long on the battery.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Thanks Ironmark, I'll check for that. I have a trip to Northern Cali next week and I just don't need the headache of the stator or regulator going while down there.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
The only thing that will pull your voltage down like that is a short circuit. This could be due to a bad component in your regulator (going bad when it get hot) or go with the derby cover removal and acrid smell a stator coil with damaged insulation.:(

·
Registered
601 Posts
I just did an Oil, Primary and Transmission fluids change a couple of days ago. I didn't notice an acrid smell, but I will check again. My dealers attitude is "You have extended warranty, so don't worry, all of your bills will be covered".:mad:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts